Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 AM
Dan Hitt

Default changing window managers in debian 6.0.4

I'm running debian 6.0.4 (squeeze).

I'm attempting to change my window manager from the default metacity
to wmaker (WindowMaker).

I attempted the change by
sudo update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
and then choosing the wmaker alternative.

When i run
update-alternatives --display x-window-manager
i believe it indicates that wmaker is my window manager.

The exact output is:

x-window-manager - manual mode
link currently points to /usr/bin/wmaker
/usr/bin/metacity - priority 60
slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/metacity.1.gz
/usr/bin/twm - priority 40
slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/twm.1.gz
/usr/bin/wmaker - priority 50
slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/wmaker.1x.gz
Current 'best' version is '/usr/bin/metacity'.

But the display looks absolutely unchanged (even after logging out and back
in, and even after rebooting).

So i presume that this means i need to change some other display components?

Or do some other steps besides just running the update-alternatives program?

Thanks in advance for any clues or links to FAQs or any other documentation
i should consult.

dan

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Johan Grönqvist