Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Arnt Karlsen

Default ..solved: two video cards on Squeeze

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:34:18 -0400, Rob wrote in message
<20120424223418.GA5387@aurora.owens.net>:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 05:44:51PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I need to get two monitors running on two separate video cards on a
> > Squeeze system. Do I need to customize my xorg.conf, or is there a
> > simple gui tool to do this nowadays?
> >
> Wow, I got it working already. All I did was:
>
> /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
> X -configure
> cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> /etc/init.d/gdm3 start
>
> Actually, I did have to make a correction to xorg.conf. The radeonhd
> driver did not work, so I switched it to radeon and that fixed it. I
> also had to change the order of my screens (right to left), but that's
> to be expected.
>
> For the record, my system has an onboard NVidia GeForce 6100 and a PCI
> Express ATI Radeon HD 3470. The ATI card has dual DisplayPort
> outputs, but my second monitor only has VGA inputs so I opted to use
> the onboard VGA instead of buying an adapter.

..so, all you "need" to do now, is hook up your 3'rd screen
to your 2'nd DisplayPort. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:40:08AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:34:18 -0400, Rob wrote in message
> <20120424223418.GA5387@aurora.owens.net>:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 05:44:51PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > > I need to get two monitors running on two separate video cards on a
> > > Squeeze system. Do I need to customize my xorg.conf, or is there a
> > > simple gui tool to do this nowadays?
> > >
> > Wow, I got it working already. All I did was:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
> > X -configure
> > cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > /etc/init.d/gdm3 start
> >
> > Actually, I did have to make a correction to xorg.conf. The radeonhd
> > driver did not work, so I switched it to radeon and that fixed it. I
> > also had to change the order of my screens (right to left), but that's
> > to be expected.
> >
> > For the record, my system has an onboard NVidia GeForce 6100 and a PCI
> > Express ATI Radeon HD 3470. The ATI card has dual DisplayPort
> > outputs, but my second monitor only has VGA inputs so I opted to use
> > the onboard VGA instead of buying an adapter.
>
> ..so, all you "need" to do now, is hook up your 3'rd screen
> to your 2'nd DisplayPort. ;o)

Exactly!

Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens act as
one. Currently, I can open applications on either screen but I can't,
for instance, drag an application from one screen to the other. I'm not
sure if I can do that with separate video cards, though.

-Rob

Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:19:57 -0400, Rob wrote in message
<20120425011957.GC8042@aurora.owens.net>:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:40:08AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:34:18 -0400, Rob wrote in message
> > <20120424223418.GA5387@aurora.owens.net>:

> > > Wow, I got it working already. All I did was:
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
> > > X -configure
> > > cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > > /etc/init.d/gdm3 start
> > >
> > > Actually, I did have to make a correction to xorg.conf. The
> > > radeonhd driver did not work, so I switched it to radeon and that
> > > fixed it. I also had to change the order of my screens (right to
> > > left), but that's to be expected.
> > >
> > > For the record, my system has an onboard NVidia GeForce 6100 and
> > > a PCI Express ATI Radeon HD 3470. The ATI card has dual
> > > DisplayPort outputs, but my second monitor only has VGA inputs so
> > > I opted to use the onboard VGA instead of buying an adapter.
> >
> > ..so, all you "need" to do now, is hook up your 3'rd screen
> > to your 2'nd DisplayPort. ;o)
> >
> Exactly!
>
> Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens act as
> one. Currently, I can open applications on either screen but I can't,
> for instance, drag an application from one screen to the other. I'm
> not sure if I can do that with separate video cards, though.
>
> -Rob

..well, play with the GUI menus, e.g. KDE's "System Settings" ->
"Display and Monitor" -> "Multiple Monitors" or Gnome's (AFAIR)
"System" -> "Preferences" -> "Display and Monitor" etc as you
fool around with the plug-'n-play things 'n see what happens. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Bob Proulx

Rob Owens wrote:
> Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens act as
> one. Currently, I can open applications on either screen but I can't,
> for instance, drag an application from one screen to the other. I'm not
> sure if I can do that with separate video cards, though.

In Squeeze the support for dual monitors changed. It is no longer in
the configuration file, although it can be optionally placed there.
Now multiple monitor a userland operation using the xrandr interface.
This is nice actually and allows useful scripted configurations. Use
the 'xrandr --query' to print attached device information and then use
the device information to specify where the monitors are placed in the
larger logical screen.

I have the following in my init files. I will avoid mentioning the
file I am using because I doubt you are launching the same way and it
would just cause confusion. But this is how I turn on dual monitor
support these days.

if xrandr --query | grep -q HDMI2; then
xrandr --auto --output HDMI2 --right-of HDMI1
fi

Bob

Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:25:28PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens act as
> > one. Currently, I can open applications on either screen but I can't,
> > for instance, drag an application from one screen to the other. I'm
> > not sure if I can do that with separate video cards, though.
> >
> > -Rob
>
> ..well, play with the GUI menus, e.g. KDE's "System Settings" ->
> "Display and Monitor" -> "Multiple Monitors" or Gnome's (AFAIR)
> "System" -> "Preferences" -> "Display and Monitor" etc as you
> fool around with the plug-'n-play things 'n see what happens. ;o)

I've tried gnome-display-properties as well as lxrandr. Both only
detect one monitor. But it depends on which of my monitors I launch the
application from. In other words, they only detect the monitor on which
the application is running.

So I guess I have something fundamentally wrong in my xorg.conf, or this
is just not possible with separate video cards.

Something even more interesting: I set up fluxbox to show workspaces
1-4 on my primary monitor, and workspaces 5-6 on my secondary monitor.
Fluxbox lets me "send" a window to a different workspace, but I can't
send from workspace 1 to workspace 5 or 6. I can only send to a
different workspace on the same monitor.

-Rob

Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Rob Owens

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 02:33:54PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
> > Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens act as
> > one. Currently, I can open applications on either screen but I can't,
> > for instance, drag an application from one screen to the other. I'm not
> > sure if I can do that with separate video cards, though.
>
> In Squeeze the support for dual monitors changed. It is no longer in
> the configuration file, although it can be optionally placed there.
> Now multiple monitor a userland operation using the xrandr interface.
> This is nice actually and allows useful scripted configurations. Use
> the 'xrandr --query' to print attached device information and then use
> the device information to specify where the monitors are placed in the
> larger logical screen.
>
> I have the following in my init files. I will avoid mentioning the
> file I am using because I doubt you are launching the same way and it
> would just cause confusion. But this is how I turn on dual monitor
> support these days.
>
> if xrandr --query | grep -q HDMI2; then
> xrandr --auto --output HDMI2 --right-of HDMI1
> fi

Bob, have you tried this with two separate video cards? I tried this
(with no xorg.conf) and it only sees my onboard video card when I run
xrandr --query.

If I create xorg.conf and get both monitors working, xrandr --query only
sees the monitor that I'm currently using (the monitor that the xterm is
displayed on, in which I'm running the xrandr command).

Thanks for the help so far.

-Rob

Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 21:01:44 -0400, Rob wrote in message
<20120428010144.GA4027@aurora.owens.net>:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:25:28PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > Actually, I now need to figure out how to make the two screens
> > > act as one. Currently, I can open applications on either screen
> > > but I can't, for instance, drag an application from one screen to
> > > the other. I'm not sure if I can do that with separate video
> > > cards, though.
> > >
> > > -Rob
> >
> > ..well, play with the GUI menus, e.g. KDE's "System Settings" ->
> > "Display and Monitor" -> "Multiple Monitors" or Gnome's (AFAIR)
> > "System" -> "Preferences" -> "Display and Monitor" etc as you
> > fool around with the plug-'n-play things 'n see what happens. ;o)
> >
> I've tried gnome-display-properties as well as lxrandr. Both only
> detect one monitor. But it depends on which of my monitors I launch
> the application from. In other words, they only detect the monitor
> on which the application is running.
>
> So I guess I have something fundamentally wrong in my xorg.conf, or
> this is just not possible with separate video cards.

..ok, you have one screen on your mainboard display er, plug and
one in one of your 2 graphic card plugs. Tried the other one of
the 2?

> Something even more interesting: I set up fluxbox to show workspaces
> 1-4 on my primary monitor, and workspaces 5-6 on my secondary monitor.
> Fluxbox lets me "send" a window to a different workspace, but I can't
> send from workspace 1 to workspace 5 or 6. I can only send to a
> different workspace on the same monitor.

..ok, now, _that_ might warrant its own thread.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Bob Proulx

Rob Owens wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > if xrandr --query | grep -q HDMI2; then
> > xrandr --auto --output HDMI2 --right-of HDMI1
> > fi
>
> Bob, have you tried this with two separate video cards?

Nope. Mine are all on two output video cards. Oh well.

Bob