Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Jon Dowland

Default encrypting an external HDD filesystem and GNOME3 support

Hi,

I am interested in creating an encrypted partition (ideally
LVM logical volume) on an external disk, which I will want
to attach and detach from my laptop whilst running. I use
the GNOME3 environment and am looking for a robust solution
which doesn't require too much fuss.

It would appear that GNOME3/nautilus/udisks (or some
combination thereof) has some rudimentary support for
detecting and mounting LVM volume groups, logical
volumes and dm_crypt devices. However the dm_crypt+LVM
combination doesn't work well yet, at all (what happens
is described below)

My question is, does anyone currently achieve a
hot-pluggable, encrypted filesystem, accessible with the
minimum of fuss via a modern GUI environment, and if so,
what do they use?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

(details about how well LVM/dm_crypt and GNOME3 play
together follow)

If I plug a disk with an LVM-formatted partition, an icon
for the VG appears in nautilus. Clicking on that requires
user authentication, after which an icon appears for the
LVs within.

For a plain (non-encrypted) LV, double-clicking that
requires another user authentication, upon which the LV
is mounted.

For an encrypted LV, double-clicking it prompts for a
decryption passphrase, then follows up with an
authentication prompt (as above).

I then get an error message ("Internal error: No mount
object for mounted volume") and a pop-up telling me that
a filesystem has appeared simultaneously. The filesystem
appears to be mounted. However, when you unmount the volume
in nautilus, the dm_crypt device is not properly closed.

It would appear that LVM/dm_crypt are not adequately
supported in the desktop stack yet, but that they probably
will be soon. The two auth prompts in the non-encrypted
case may be possible to configure away via policykit.

ii gnome-shell 3.2.2.1-2
ii nautilus 3.2.1-3
ii udisks 1.0.4-5
ii lvm2 2.02.88-2
ii cryptsetup 2:1.4.1-2

--
Jon Dowland

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Josep Llauradó

HI Jon,

I've been using truecrypt (available for windows, mac and linux) for a
while without problems. It works as a file inside a partiiton on any
available system (lvm or not) and can be installed even using fat or
other basic filesystems.

The solutions uses a graphical interface, and can be scripted if you
are a more adventurous guy.

It appears as a disk in nautilus too.

You have other solutions, like block encription using the kernel, but
I've not been using that for a few years, so I prefer to let other
users more experienced or with fresh memory explain this other
solution.

Best regards.

Josep Llauradó Selvas

josep.llaurado AT gmail.com