Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 AM
"Miguel Gaiowski"

Default Weird problem with Mplayer

Hi,

I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces, such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy Longlegs.avi".

It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....

The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works just fine.

Any ideas?

[]s
--

Miguel Fco. A. de Mattos Gaiowski

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
"Mumia W.."

I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces,
such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy
Longlegs.avi".

It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....

The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by
double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works
just fine.

Any ideas?

[]s

What file manager are you using? What is your locale? What distribution
are you using?

Spaces work fine in nautilus 2.14.3.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Martin Kraus

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:01:18PM -0300, Miguel Gaiowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces,
> such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy
> Longlegs.avi".
>
> It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....
>
> The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by
> double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works
> just fine.

double clicking in what? hate to be so obvious but

MythBusters - S01
Mythbusters%20-%20S01

i see bit of a difference there. no wonder mplayer can't find the given
file. %20 is a coded space but the application should translate it to " " for
mplayer to find it.

mk

Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 AM
"Miguel Gaiowski"

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Martin Kraus <lists_mk@wujiman.net> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:01:18PM -0300, Miguel Gaiowski wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces,

> such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy

> Longlegs.avi".

> It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....

> The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by

> double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works

> just fine.

double clicking in what? hate to be so obvious but
Using Gnome here, trying to open it from nautilus.
*

MythBusters - S01

Mythbusters%20-%20S01

i see bit of a difference there. no wonder mplayer can't find the given

file. %20 is a coded space but the application should translate it to " " for

mplayer to find it.

Ya, I noticed the problem only happens with gmplayer.
If I knew where to edit the way it calls gmplayer I could try the sed hack suggested by Rich.
*

Thanks

mk

Miguel Fco. A. de Mattos Gaiowski

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Martin Kraus

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:14:51PM -0300, Miguel Gaiowski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Martin Kraus <lists_mk@wujiman.net> wrote:
>
> Using Gnome here, trying to open it from nautilus.
>

> > MythBusters - S01
> > Mythbusters%20-%20S01
> >
> > i see bit of a difference there. no wonder mplayer can't find the given
> > file. %20 is a coded space but the application should translate it to " "
> > for
> > mplayer to find it.
> >

> Ya, I noticed the problem only happens with gmplayer.
> If I knew where to edit the way it calls gmplayer I could try the sed hack
> suggested by Rich.

look for a .desktop file such as mplayer.desktop somewhere in
/usr/share/applications. gnome should follow the xdg standards on desktop
files. in this file, there is a description how to call a program with
appropriate arguments. however if nautilus supplies mplayer with %20 instead
of " " it looks more like a nautilus problem then the .desktop description
problem.

mk

Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 AM
"Miguel Gaiowski"

I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces,

such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy

Longlegs.avi".

It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....

The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by

double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works

just fine.

Any ideas?

[]s

What file manager are you using? What is your locale? What distribution are you using?

Spaces work fine in nautilus 2.14.3.

GNOME Nautilus 2.20.0. I'm in Brazil, using Debian Lenny.
*

Miguel Fco. A. de Mattos Gaiowski

Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Andreas Rönnquist

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:01:18 -0300
"Miguel Gaiowski" <miggaiowski@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces,
> such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy
> Longlegs.avi".
>
> It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....
>
> The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by
> double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works
> just fine.
>

> Any ideas?

Try changing your /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop

- the line Exec=gmplayer %(some letter)

I have Exec=gmplayer %F, and this made it work for me.

(I think I had %U there previously, but I am not sure.)

--
Andreas Rönnquist <andreas.ronnquist@meritkonsult.se>

Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
"Miguel Gaiowski"

> I'm having some trouble playing any files whose names have blank spaces,

> such as "MythBusters - S01E13 - Buried in Concrete, Jet Taxi, Daddy

> Longlegs.avi".

> It says: "Failed to open file Mythbusters%20-%20S01..............".....

> The weird thing is that it only happens when I try to launch Mplayer by

> double-clicking the file. When I open mplayer from a command line it works

> just fine.

> Any ideas?

Try changing your /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop

- the line Exec=gmplayer %(some letter)

I have Exec=gmplayer %F, and this made it work for me.

(I think I had %U there previously, but I am not sure.)

Yep, that works! Thanks
*