Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Bill Harris

Default Evolution and POP3 problem: want to delete from server when moved from Inbox

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:48:01 -0700, Bill Harris wrote:
>> 1. I set up Evolution and imported my Icedove folders, and then I
>> downloaded email for the first time in Evolution. That gave me
>> duplicates of everything. Is there a command or plugin to eliminate
>> duplicates, as there was on Thunderbird/Icedove, or do I have to do
>> that manually?
>
> Mmm, you have something about that explained here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#Why_does_Evolution_download_duplicate_emails.3 F_How_can_I_get_rid_of_them.3F_Why_does_Evolution_ reload_old_mails_from_server_when_.22Leave_a_messa ge_on_the_pop_server.22_is_activated.3F
> http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/mail-duplicates.html.en

Thanks. That led me to
http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/remove-duplicates-td1781760.html,
which does seem to have interesting links. I'll have to check them out.

>> 2. My second issue is much more important to me. I leave emails on the
>> server for various reasons. When I do move some messages from the
>> inbox to other folders or I delete messages from the inbox, I want
>> Evolution to remove them from the server, but I can't figure out how
>> to do that (it seemed easy on Thunderbird / Icedove). How does one
>> do this?
>>
>> Any tips? I've searched and found a few tantalizing hints that there
>> might be a solution, but I haven't found the solutions.
>
> (...)
>
> Leaving a copy in the server is an option that always gives headaches.
> Have you considered moving to IMAP, instead?

It worked well in T'bird until T'bird (Icedove) choked. :-%

>> AFAICT, these servers do not support IMAP.
>
> Ouch... Jump to another provider, then?

Someday. :-)

Thanks, Camaleón.

Bill
--
Bill Harris
Facilitated Systems

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:59:57 -0700, Bill Harris wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:48:01 -0700, Bill Harris wrote:
>>> 1. I set up Evolution and imported my Icedove folders, and then I
>>> downloaded email for the first time in Evolution. That gave me
>>> duplicates of everything. Is there a command or plugin to
>>> eliminate duplicates, as there was on Thunderbird/Icedove, or do I
>>> have to do that manually?
>>
>> Mmm, you have something about that explained here:
>>
>> http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#Why_does_Evolution_download_duplicate_emails.3 F_How_can_I_get_rid_of_them.3F_Why_does_Evolution_ reload_old_mails_from_server_when_.22Leave_a_messa ge_on_the_pop_server.22_is_activated.3F
>> http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/mail-duplicates.html.en
>
> Thanks. That led me to
> http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/remove-duplicates-td1781760.html,
> which does seem to have interesting links. I'll have to check them out.

I wonder why the remove duplicated e-mails plugin is not available in
none of the Debian evo plugins packages ("evolution-plugins" and "evolution-
plugins-experimental") :-?

>>> 2. My second issue is much more important to me. I leave emails on
>>> the
>>> server for various reasons. When I do move some messages from the
>>> inbox to other folders or I delete messages from the inbox, I want
>>> Evolution to remove them from the server, but I can't figure out
>>> how to do that (it seemed easy on Thunderbird / Icedove). How
>>> does one do this?
>>>
>>> Any tips? I've searched and found a few tantalizing hints that there
>>> might be a solution, but I haven't found the solutions.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Leaving a copy in the server is an option that always gives headaches.
>> Have you considered moving to IMAP, instead?
>
> It worked well in T'bird until T'bird (Icedove) choked. :-%

I'm a Thunderbird user (mostly for POP3 but also manage a bunch of IMAP
accounts) and never had any problem for downloading big attachments
neither from POP3 nor IMAP accounts, maybe you should investigate that
"choke" further.

>>> AFAICT, these servers do not support IMAP.
>>
>> Ouch... Jump to another provider, then?
>
> Someday. :-)

I know, I know... I'm experiencing the same diatribe with my Gmail
account, still considering the pros and cons of flying away.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón