Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Default Any recommendation for an auto-proxy tool?

Hi,
The subject is confusing. By auto-proxy, I meant something like the
auto-discovery of IE. With this option on, if there was a proxy
broadcast in the network, then used it. If not, then just direct
connection.
How to archive this purpose?
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Darac Marjal

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 09:13:43AM +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> Hi,
> The subject is confusing. By auto-proxy, I meant something like the
> auto-discovery of IE. With this option on, if there was a proxy
> broadcast in the network, then used it. If not, then just direct
> connection.
> How to archive this purpose?

I'm assuming you're wanting to provide the proxy? If so, have a look at
http://www.wlug.org.nz/WPAD. Basically, the easy way is to set up a
proxy configuration file at wpad.yourdomain.foo and hpe that clients
find it. Alternatively, you can use your DHCP server to explicitly tell
clients where to look.

Enjoy.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Chris Davies

> You can use your DHCP server to explicitly tell clients where to look.

Do any real-world applications or systems actually use the DHCP
setting?

I'm not aware of any that do so, but my information could be wildly out
of date. OTOH wpad has been long since deprecated but IME is still in
active use as a de-facto implementation standard.

Chris

Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Sorry for the confusing, I am not providing a proxy.
What I meant was, WPAD with IE works great when laptop user moves
between proxied company environment and home. With auto discovery
option on, IE does not have to change anything, if there is a proxy,
use it. If not, directly access.
So I am thinking to have a mid-proxy on my laptop, and every program
just uses it as proxy. But this mid-proxy could auto discovery, or at
least, provide me a profile switching function.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk> wrote:
>> You can use your DHCP server to explicitly tell clients where to look.
>
> Do any real-world applications or systems actually use the DHCP
> setting?
>
> I'm not aware of any that do so, but my information could be wildly out
> of date. OTOH wpad has been long since deprecated but IME is still in
> active use as a de-facto implementation standard.
>
> Chris

竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞