Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Alex Padoly

Default Realtek ALC656

Hi,

I would like to buy an HP computer, the sound card in this computer is a Realtek ALC656.
I would like to know if the last version of Debian can detect this sound card (5.1 sound), perhaps i will have to install a special drivers for this

card.

Regards.

Alex

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:09:53 +0200, Alex Padoly wrote:

> I would like to buy an HP computer, the sound card in this computer is a
> Realtek ALC656.

That's a codec's name :-)

> I would like to know if the last version of Debian can detect this sound
> card (5.1 sound), perhaps i will have to install a special drivers for
> this card.

Not the answer you're looking for but just some hints:

1/ Look at the ALSA¹ site and search if the codec is supported (when it
becomes available, the site seems to be inaccessible now :-?). If it is
supported, in the worst scenario you'll have to download and compile
a new/updated ALSA package for the drivers (the codec is listed as
supported in alsa-driver 1.0.24-5 available at the Realtek² site).

2/ Look at the HCL³ and search if your computer brand/model name is
listed.

¹http://www.alsa-project.org/
²http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level= 4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
³http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/