FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
"Dan B."
 
Default gdm3 cancels/ignores Control/CapsLock swap

What is it about gdm3 that undoes (or otherwise ignores) swapping of
Control and Caps Lock keys configured via /etc/default/keyboard?


I have XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:swapcaps" in /etc/default/keyboard. That works
(the Control and Caps Lock keys are swapped) for virtual consoles and for
X11 displays started with "startx"--both without and with GNOME installed.


However, when I start gdm3, then in the X11 display managed started by
gdm3, the keys are _not_ swapped any more. (That's both initially (when
gdm3 prompts for username and password) and later (with the GNOME
environment displayed).)


Some Debian documentation or discussion says that the settings in
/etc/default/keyboard are supposed to work for both virtual consoles
and X11 (so one doesn't have to configure consoles and X11 separately).

Why doesn't gdm3 follow that?

Does it sound like I have a configuration problem, or does gdm3 have a
bug (with respect to the intent that /etc/default/keyboard configures both
VCs and X11 displays)?


Thanks.



Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F956AD5.5050701@kempt.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F956AD5.5050701@kempt.net
 
Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Camaleón
 
Default gdm3 cancels/ignores Control/CapsLock swap

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:44:37 -0400, Dan B. wrote:

> What is it about gdm3 that undoes (or otherwise ignores) swapping of
> Control and Caps Lock keys configured via /etc/default/keyboard?

AFAIK, GNOME (as others DEs) -and thus GDM3- follows its own way when it
comes to configure the input devices... this is have been so since years.

> I have XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:swapcaps" in /etc/default/keyboard. That works
> (the Control and Caps Lock keys are swapped) for virtual consoles and
> for X11 displays started with "startx"--both without and with GNOME
> installed.

Yup.

> However, when I start gdm3, then in the X11 display managed started by
> gdm3, the keys are _not_ swapped any more. (That's both initially (when
> gdm3 prompts for username and password) and later (with the GNOME
> environment displayed).)

Do you have GNOME installed? If so, have you tried to set this option
from GNOME keyboard configuration? It has to be under layout → advanced
settings or something similar.

Another option, if GNOME is not installed, would be setting this manually
using gconf or by tweaking the equivalent place/file... sorry, I don't
know where the gdm3 settings for keyboard are defined.

> Some Debian documentation or discussion says that the settings in
> /etc/default/keyboard are supposed to work for both virtual consoles and
> X11 (so one doesn't have to configure consoles and X11 separately).

Mmm...

> Why doesn't gdm3 follow that?

I don't know, but as far as I can remember it has been always so, at
least for the GNOME environment.

> Does it sound like I have a configuration problem, or does gdm3 have a
> bug (with respect to the intent that /etc/default/keyboard configures
> both VCs and X11 displays)?

I would try first to use the gnome keyboard configuration tool, if that
makes no change in GDM3 the I would consider it can be a bug or something
that can be reported, though I think this is a known issue...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jn3ubq$68l$5@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jn3ubq$68l$5@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Jon Dowland
 
Default gdm3 cancels/ignores Control/CapsLock swap

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 04:00:58PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> AFAIK, GNOME (as others DEs) -and thus GDM3- follows its own way when it
> comes to configure the input devices... this is have been so since years.

Luckily, bugs from years ago sometimes get solved! And I believe
keyboard-configuration is meant to solve ones like these.

> Do you have GNOME installed? If so, have you tried to set this option
> from GNOME keyboard configuration? It has to be under layout → advanced
> settings or something similar.

That wouldn't do any good since it would only affect the user's settings once
logged in and the OP is complaining about the gdm environment (before login).

It's possible to do the same configuration for the Debian-gdm or root user,
to take effect in the pre-login DM environment, but the keyboard-configuration
package should probably do this for you. (It's also very tricky and awkward)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120423171922.GA2587@debian">http://lists.debian.org/20120423171922.GA2587@debian
 
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Camaleón
 
Default gdm3 cancels/ignores Control/CapsLock swap

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:00:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:44:37 -0400, Dan B. wrote:

(...)

>> However, when I start gdm3, then in the X11 display managed started by
>> gdm3, the keys are _not_ swapped any more. (That's both initially
>> (when gdm3 prompts for username and password) and later (with the GNOME
>> environment displayed).)
>
> Do you have GNOME installed? If so, have you tried to set this option
> from GNOME keyboard configuration? It has to be under layout → advanced
> settings or something similar.
>
> Another option, if GNOME is not installed, would be setting this
> manually using gconf or by tweaking the equivalent place/file... sorry,
> I don't know where the gdm3 settings for keyboard are defined.

And after a bit more of digging, I couldn't find any documented setting
for the gretter to enable that option... gee, the old GDM2 was -by far-
more user-friendly and more easy to tweak :-/

I remember I had to do something similar to what you are seeking for
enabling the touchpad "tap" action at GDM3 but IIRC (I'm not in front of
my netbook where I have Wheezy with GDM3 installed) I had to edit one of
the Xorg configuration files that I had to copy from "/usr/share/X11..."
to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synapctic.conf" (or something like that) and
then add a line to enable tapping at the login screen (don't ask me for
the exact key, I don't remember...).

So maybe you can do the same for the "ctrl:swapcaps" by editing the
keyboard configuration file (it must be under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
*edev.conf) and put the option there, inside the keyboard input class,
which, speaking from memory, it should be similar to:

Section InputClass
... keyboard stanza
... more options
Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
EndSection

And relogin to check.

I can't test it right now but this worked fine at least to enable the
tapping.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jn4an0$68l$8@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jn4an0$68l$8@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default gdm3 cancels/ignores Control/CapsLock swap

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 07:31:44PM +0000, Camalen wrote:
> I remember I had to do something similar to what you are seeking for
> enabling the touchpad "tap" action at GDM3 but IIRC (I'm not in front of
> my netbook where I have Wheezy with GDM3 installed) I had to edit one of
> the Xorg configuration files that I had to copy from "/usr/share/X11..."
> to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synapctic.conf" (or something like that) and
> then add a line to enable tapping at the login screen (don't ask me for
> the exact key, I don't remember...).

Adding/creating the following worked to enable tapping on the key pad.

tal% less /etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf
options psmouse proto=imps

I don't use Gnome or a login manager, although I suspect that doesn't
matter much.

--
"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
-- Napoleon Bonaparte


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120427132202.GB9759@tal">http://lists.debian.org/20120427132202.GB9759@tal
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org