Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Richard Owlett

Default NEWBIE sanity check re gnome-ppp PLEASE

OK already -- I've written both UNread manuals and MISread
test procedures ;/

What am I using - I'm not sure:
1. the *HAND written* label on CD I used to load
identified it as

DEBIAN 6.0.3 with GNOME desktop
2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed
3. I then did
man gnome-ppp
4. It said there was an option for
gnome-ppp --version
4A. it yielded NO version information, but brought up
attempt to dial

screen which failed if not super user

How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?
How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a
'normal' user?

After those questions are answered, how do I download and
install SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into
my ISP and launch SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as
acceptable method.

NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too
well now ;/

Archive: 4F94DE9E.4020104@pcnetinc.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F94DE9E.4020104@pcnetinc.com

Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:46:22 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> OK already -- I've written both UNread manuals and MISread test
> procedures ;/
>
> What am I using - I'm not sure:
> 1. the *HAND written* label on CD I used to load
> identified it as
> DEBIAN 6.0.3 with GNOME desktop

You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
know it comes from a trusted source?

> 2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed

What did you do or how did you run it? gnome-ppp is just a GUI frontend
for Wvdial.

> 3. I then did
> man gnome-ppp

The man page is very brief because the goal of gnome-ppp is very simple:
create a working file for wvdial, no more no less.

> 4. It said there was an option for
> gnome-ppp --version
> 4A. it yielded NO version information, but brought up
> attempt to dial
> screen which failed if not super user

What was the exact output you got?

> How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?

I'd would start by launching the application from the GNOME menu, it
should come up a wizard.

> How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a 'normal' user?

I can't tell for gnome-ppp but this can be usually done in wvdial by
definining different ISPs profiles [sections] and then passing it as
argument when calling the binary, e.g., "wvdial my_first_isp".

Anyway, if you get no satisfaction with gnome-ppp, try another dialer ;-)
(I, for myself, prefer to use the plain wvdial).

> After those questions are answered, how do I download and install
> SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into my ISP and launch
> SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as acceptable method.

Mmm... whaaat?!

Once you're connected to the Internet, you open Synapctic and select
Seamonkey (here renamed to "Iceape" for the suite or "iceape-browser" for
the browser+composer) to download.

And what happens with Iceweasel? :-?

> NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too well now ;/

Mmm... it's not clear what[who]'s not working here >:-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Richard Owlett

Camaleón wrote:

OK already -- I've written both UNread manuals and MISread test
procedures ;/

What am I using - I'm not sure:
1. the *HAND written* label on CD I used to load
identified it as
DEBIAN 6.0.3 with GNOME desktop

You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
know it comes from a trusted source?

<chuckle> My phrasing was poor - posted way past my bedtime.
What I meant was I was unsure of the version number. It IS
6.0.3.
It was downloaded from a link given on debian.org (don't
recall which mirror)
Today I compared the MD5 of the ISO to that given on
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/6.0.3-live/i386/iso-hybrid/
. It checked OK.

2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed

What did you do or how did you run it?

At first I tried tried running it from sub-menu
(Applications-Internet-GNOME ppp).
Failure message was "Can not open modem." The logfile
expanded it saying "Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied".

gnome-ppp is just a GUI frontend
for Wvdial.

I had used "System->Administration->Software Center" to
install a dialer.

gnome-ppp was the only option offered - so I loaded it.

3. I then did
man gnome-ppp

The man page is very brief because the goal of gnome-ppp is very simple:
create a working file for wvdial, no more no less.

4. It said there was an option for
gnome-ppp --version
4A. it yielded NO version information, but brought up
attempt to dial
screen which failed if not super user

What was the exact output you got?

root@debianowl:/home/richard# gnome-ppp --version

(gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
root@debianowl:/home/richard#

Got the same response whether or not as root.

How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?

I'd would start by launching the application from the GNOME menu, it
should come up a wizard.

I tried that. That was first hint something was wrong ;<

Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting
"richard@debianowl:~$ gnome-ppp

(gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

WVCONF: /home/richard/.wvdial.conf
GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do
NOT edit this file by hand!"

GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied
"

Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting
"root@debianowl:/home/richard# gnome-ppp

(gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an
adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do
NOT edit this file by hand!"

GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATZ
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
+FCLASS=0

GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT999-9999
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT999-9999
GNOME PPP: STDERR: Caught signal 2: Attempting to exit
gracefully...

GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Tue Apr 24 19:58:54 2012
root@debianowl:/home/richard#
"

Notice that when *NOT* asking for version, it's available.

How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a 'normal' user?

I can't tell for gnome-ppp but this can be usually done in wvdial by
definining different ISPs profiles [sections] and then passing it as
argument when calling the binary, e.g., "wvdial my_first_isp".

Anyway, if you get no satisfaction with gnome-ppp, try another dialer ;-)
(I, for myself, prefer to use the plain wvdial).

I disagree with that philosophy. I may not end up using
gnome-ppp. But ignoring a problem does not solve it. There
*IS* a bug. It may be in the _operator_ ;/

After those questions are answered, how do I download and install
SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into my ISP and launch
SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as acceptable method.

Mmm... whaaat?!

Not on technical grounds.
Just on some very strong idiosyncratic personal preferences.

Once you're connected to the Internet, you open Synapctic and select
Seamonkey (here renamed to "Iceape" for the suite or "iceape-browser" for
the browser+composer) to download.

And what happens with Iceweasel? :-?

NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too well now ;/

Mmm... it's not clear what[who]'s not working here>:-P

BOTH? I did say I wrote the original post past my bedtime
Thank you for your time.

Greetings,

Archive: 4F975582.5030809@pcnetinc.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F975582.5030809@pcnetinc.com

Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:38:10 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
>> encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
>> know it comes from a trusted source?
>
> <chuckle> My phrasing was poor - posted way past my bedtime. What I
> meant was I was unsure of the version number. It IS 6.0.3.
> It was downloaded from a link given on debian.org (don't recall which
> mirror)
> Today I compared the MD5 of the ISO to that given on
> http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/6.0.3-live/
i386/iso-hybrid/
> . It checked OK.

Ooo-kay :-)

>>> 2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed
>>
>> What did you do or how did you run it?
>
> At first I tried tried running it from sub-menu
> (Applications-Internet-GNOME ppp).
> Failure message was "Can not open modem." The logfile expanded it saying
> "Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied".

And have you checked if your modem is detected by your system at that
port (/dev/ttyS3)? "dmesg | grep -i ttys" will tell more about the
available ports.

Anyway, what kind of modem do you have (external rs-232, external USB,
internal pci, embedded-whatever-linmodem-crap) :-)

>> gnome-ppp is just a GUI frontend
>> for Wvdial.
>
> I had used "System->Administration->Software Center" to install a
> dialer.
> gnome-ppp was the only option offered - so I loaded it.

Yes, and that's right. I only wanted to point you another option to get
the job done, in the event gnome-ppp fails at some point.

>> What was the exact output you got?
>
> root@debianowl:/home/richard# gnome-ppp --version
>
> (gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> (gnome-ppp:2629): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
> root@debianowl:/home/richard#
>
> Got the same response whether or not as root.

Don't run it as root but as normal user. Anyway, the version does not
come out :-?

>>> How do I use gnome-ppp as normal [NOT super] user?
>>
>> I'd would start by launching the application from the GNOME menu, it
>> should come up a wizard.
>

> I tried that. That was first hint something was wrong ;<

If something is wrong you have to try to solve it first :-)

> Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting "richard@debianowl:~$
> gnome-ppp
>
> (gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> (gnome-ppp:2737): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated WVCONF: /home/richard/.wvdial.conf
> GNOME PPP: Connecting...
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this
> file by hand!"
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied "

That's good. I mean, at least you know where to look at and I would start
by knowing where is the modem detected and how about its perms.

> Then I tried in "normal" terminal getting "root@debianowl:/home/richard#
> gnome-ppp
>
> (gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated
>
> (gnome-ppp:2819): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment
> with non-zero page size is deprecated WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
> GNOME PPP: Connecting...
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this
> file by hand!"
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATZ
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT999-9999
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT999-9999
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: Caught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully...
> GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Tue Apr 24 19:58:54 2012
> root@debianowl:/home/richard#
> "

Okay, that log gives us many useful info:

1/ First, you go further when running from root so it can be something
wrong with the modem permissions (is your user added to the "dialout"
group?)

2/ And second, your modem is initialized but somehow it hangs. You will
have to look at the configuration settings you have defined for your
provider (connection settings) and modem (init strings).

> Notice that when *NOT* asking for version, it's available.

I'm afraid that's Wvdial version, not "gnome-ppp" :-)

>>> How do I create clickable icon to dial into my ISP as a 'normal' user?
>>
>> I can't tell for gnome-ppp but this can be usually done in wvdial by
>> definining different ISPs profiles [sections] and then passing it as
>> argument when calling the binary, e.g., "wvdial my_first_isp".
>>
>> Anyway, if you get no satisfaction with gnome-ppp, try another dialer
>> ;-) (I, for myself, prefer to use the plain wvdial).
>

> I disagree with that philosophy.

What exactly? About using unmaintained/dead packages?

> I may not end up using gnome-ppp. But ignoring a problem does not solve
> it. There *IS* a bug. It may be in the _operator_ ;/

A bug where? I still have not enough clues to confirm that point ;-)

Anyway, note that gnome-ppp is not being actively developed anymore (or
so it seems), so no upstream project means it's hard to get bugs solved.
In GNOME, the default now is "network manager" but I still prefer using
wvdial for dial up or UMTS, I find it's cleaner and easier to configure
and debug.

>>> After those questions are answered, how do I download and install
>>> SeaMonkey such that clicking an ICON will dial into my ISP and launch
>>> SeaMonkey -ICEweasel is FROZEN out as acceptable method.
>>
>> Mmm... whaaat?!
>
> Not on technical grounds.
> Just on some very strong idiosyncratic personal preferences.

Sorry, is that I didn't catch what you wanted to say :-?

>>> NOTE BENE: WEB references needed as Linux not working too well now ;/
>>
>> Mmm... it's not clear what[who]'s not working here>:-P
>
> BOTH? I did say I wrote the original post past my bedtime Thank you
> for your time.

No problem, that can happen to any of us :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:38:10PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> >On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:46:22 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>OK already -- I've written both UNread manuals and MISread test
> >>procedures ;/
> >>
> >>What am I using - I'm not sure:
> >> 1. the *HAND written* label on CD I used to load
> >>identified it as
> >> DEBIAN 6.0.3 with GNOME desktop
> >
> >You better be sure about what you install as your OS, sir, or you can
> >encounter bad suprises... Have you verified the md5sum of the media to
> >know it comes from a trusted source?
>
> <chuckle> My phrasing was poor - posted way past my bedtime.
> What I meant was I was unsure of the version number. It IS 6.0.3.
> It was downloaded from a link given on debian.org (don't recall
> which mirror)
> Today I compared the MD5 of the ISO to that given on http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian-cd/6.0.3-live/i386/iso-hybrid/
> . It checked OK.
>

> >> 2. initial attempt to use gnome-ppp failed

I tried about 6 months ago to get gnome-ppp working, and I was never
satisfied with it. It seemed like maybe when I changed settings, they
didn't take effect until I logged out/in again. Anyway, I dumped it for
wvdial launched from the gnome panel.

You could probably google wvdial and my name and find the thread I
started on this list.

-Rob

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Indulekha

Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:

> At first I tried tried running it from sub-menu
> (Applications-Internet-GNOME ppp).
> Failure message was "Can not open modem." The logfile
> expanded it saying "Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Permission denied".

FIRST, find out what kind of modem you have, where it is,
and whether it's supported or not. Lots of them are not, or
are but you have to manually install some 3rd party driver.
Then install pppconfig and create your connection with
'sudo pppconfig' run in the terminal, then start the connection
with ppp-on-boot or manually using pon.
That's the simple, easy, reliable way to do it, and it doesn't
require any particular desktop (or even a desktop at all).
Also, do make sure your user is a member of the dip group.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Go Linux

--- On Wed, 4/25/12, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:

> Then install pppconfig and create your connection with
> 'sudo pppconfig' run in the terminal, then start the
> connection
> with ppp-on-boot or manually using pon.
> That's the simple, easy, reliable way to do it, and it
> doesn't
> require any particular desktop (or even a desktop at all).
> Also, do make sure your user is a member of the dip group.

I was going to suggest pppconfig. Until very recently I was on dialup with an internal USR serial modem. While I didn't have problems with gnome-ppp, I preferred using pppconfig.