Old 04-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Andrei POPESCU

Default How do Install debian kernel without updating to latest kernel image

On Mi, 18 apr 12, 22:56:16, Sarveshwar.Bandi@Emulex.Com wrote:

> I guess I have not understood the basics of versioning in debian
> kernels. When you say 6.0.0 and 6.0.3 are outdated, does it mean
> everyone using those kernels are expected to move to 6.0.4?

You are using Debian version numbers instead of kernel version numbers,
but basically yes, packages in Debian stable are only updated when there
are security or other serious problems to be fixed and everybody is
expected to upgrade.

If you need older versions of some specific package (including kernels)
have a look at snapshot.debian.org

Kind regards,
Andrei

have a look at snapshot.debian.org

Kind regards,
Andrei
I'd be more than a little leery of installing a different kernel than
the one packaged by Debian. The kernel interface can change between
versions so that something that works in one may not work in a newer, or
older, version.

Answering the question asked in the subject line, to install the current
kernel image for your version of Debian, try

apt-get install linux-image-<version information>

You can find the exact package names in packages.debian.org.