Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Camaleón

Default Evolution and POP3 problem: want to delete from server when moved from Inbox

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:48:01 -0700, Bill Harris wrote:

> This is essentially a duplicate of a posting to the Evolution mailiing
> list an hour or two ago. After posting there, I saw that they
> considered the Squeeze version of Evolution obsolete and recommended
> asking on one's distro mailing list.

(sigh...)

Developers always think their "yesterday commit" is now outdated ;-)

> I'm a new Evolution user (version 2.30.3) on Debian Squeeze, having
> moved from Icedove because it had problems downloading large POP3
> messages a few times, and Evolution handled them fine. So far,
> Evolution is working okay, except I have two problems:
>
> 1. I set up Evolution and imported my Icedove folders, and then I
> downloaded email for the first time in Evolution. That gave me
> duplicates of everything. Is there a command or plugin to eliminate
> duplicates, as there was on Thunderbird/Icedove, or do I have to do
> that manually?

Mmm, you have something about that explained here:

http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#Why_does_Evolution_download_duplicate_emails.3 F_How_can_I_get_rid_of_them.3F_Why_does_Evolution_ reload_old_mails_from_server_when_.22Leave_a_messa ge_on_the_pop_server.22_is_activated.3F
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/mail-duplicates.html.en

> 2. My second issue is much more important to me. I leave emails on the
> server for various reasons. When I do move some messages from the
> inbox to other folders or I delete messages from the inbox, I want
> Evolution to remove them from the server, but I can't figure out how
> to do that (it seemed easy on Thunderbird / Icedove). How does one
> do this?
>
> Any tips? I've searched and found a few tantalizing hints that there
> might be a solution, but I haven't found the solutions.

(...)

Leaving a copy in the server is an option that always gives headaches.
Have you considered moving to IMAP, instead?

Anyway, I can't see such option in Evo (wheezy), I just have:

- Delete messages after "x" days
- Delete messages when compacting from local inbox

> I've asked a few colleagues, and a common response is to use IMAP.

Exactly :-)

> AFAICT, these servers do not support IMAP.

Ouch... Jump to another provider, then?

> Besides, at some time, I'd like to have the emails on my own disk, and
> my past experience suggests that's not as easy with IMAP as it is with
> other approaches.

There are some misconceptions when it comes to IMAP. IMAP allows to store
locally your messages in the same way it does POP3 (you can drag and drop
e-mails from the server to the client's MUA) so from a user POV it adds
extra features which are not available for POP3. The only drawback of IMAP
is that requires more "power" (on the server side) to process the messages
so some providers are reluctant to enable it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón