Old 04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
"Lars Noodén"

Default Network or dhclient troubles on wheezy

The network is frequently cutting out on a wheezy box I am running. I
am not sure of where the problem lies, if it is on my box or at the ISP.

When it goes down, I am unable to connect:

connect: Network is unreachable

/var/log/daemon.log is filled with a great many unfulfilled
DHCPREQUESTs, dozens at a time.

I can manually reconnect by running dhclient only if I release the DHCP
lease first.

Where should I be looking to find the problem and how should I go about
solving it?

Regards
/Lars

Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
abdelkader belahcene

Hi,
are you using network-manager, in this case the serveur automatically retry the connexion, and of course if the dhcp doesn't reply in time, you haven't* address, which explains your*** network unreachable.

I thin the probleme is in your provider* or* physical connexion.
regards

Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:40:44 +0300, Lars Noodén wrote:

> The network is frequently cutting out on a wheezy box I am running. I
> am not sure of where the problem lies, if it is on my box or at the ISP.

Is it wired or wireless? Are you using traditional "ifup" or
"NetworkManager"?

> When it goes down, I am unable to connect:
>
> connect: Network is unreachable

When it goes down, run "/sbin/ifconfig; ip ro" and look if the adapter
has set the correct data (IP address and gateway).

> /var/log/daemon.log is filled with a great many unfulfilled
> DHCPREQUESTs, dozens at a time.
>
> I can manually reconnect by running dhclient only if I release the DHCP
> lease first.
>
> Where should I be looking to find the problem and how should I go about
> solving it?

If you use a dynamic configuration (DHCP) for the network then you rely
on your modem/router/server or whatever device/source has to fill your
NIC with the proper data. You will have to investigate why the connection
is being dropped from time to time ("grep -i dhcp /var/log/syslog" can
also help).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón