Old 04-21-2012, 03:22 PM
abdelkader belahcene

Default how to retrieve info from a bad disk?

hi,
I have a disk ( I tera Bytes* it contains important data!!!)* formatted with nfts,
somebody used it in wind$** a virus* seems destroy "something" in partition table* ???

Now no access is possible, although the partition is recognized as /dev/sdb1* with correct sie, but no possibility to

retive files.
I tried** ntfs-3g*** /dev/sdb1* t******** gave** segmentaion fault
I tried* testdisk******* it** analysed the disk and gathered the data,** I tried to list the files ,*** it gave same error as ntfs-3g, I mean* segmentation fault??

Is there* another rescue software ??
thanks for help

regards

Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:22:14 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> hi,

Hi... but please, no html posts, thanks.

> I have a disk ( I tera Bytes it contains important data!!!) formatted
> with nfts,
> somebody used it in wind$ a virus seems destroy "something" in
> partition table ???

Being a closed source filesystem, NTFS is something Windows should care
about, not Linux >;-)

> Now no access is possible, although the partition is recognized as
> /dev/sdb1 with correct sie, but no possibility to retive files.

What does Windows say? Have you tried to attach the disk to a Windows
system?

> I tried ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 t gave segmentaion fault

You tried "what"??

> I tried testdisk it analysed the disk and gathered the
> data, I tried to list the files , it gave same error as ntfs-3g, I
> mean segmentation fault??

The exact error and the steps you followed are very important.

> Is there another rescue software ??
> thanks for help

I used to get good results to recover data from a NTFS partition using
Piriform's Recuva software, for Windows, of course. But better if you
work with an image of the disk instead the original source to avoid
"moving" and so making the recovery process more difficult, if you
finally erased the data.

Anyway, testdisk is one of the most complete tools to repair broken/lost
partition tables or data recovery.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
abdelkader belahcene

Hi,
I check ntfs-3g* ( tool on linux* to manage ntfs file system) to fix the error.

ntfsfix* /dev/sdc1**** gives* the output: mft corrupted ...**** is there a chance to recover* something ???

"
Mounting volume... MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 280867
Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.

highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 280867
Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix

Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
FAILED
Failed to startup volume: Input/output error

Checking for self-located MFT segment... ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0xc0468167* size: 1024** usa_ofs: 43309* usa_count:
58159: Invalid argument
OK
MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 280867

Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
"

thanks a lot
regards
bela

Old 04-21-2012, 05:43 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 21. April 2012 schrieb abdelkader belahcene:
> Hi,
> I check ntfs-3g ( tool on linux to manage ntfs file system) to fix the
> error.
>
> ntfsfix /dev/sdc1 gives the output: mft corrupted ... is there a
> chance to recover something ???
>

> "
> Mounting volume... MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record
> 280867
> Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
> Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
> Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
> highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> FAILED
> Attempting to correct errors... MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped
> extent record 280867
> Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
> Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
> Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
> highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> FAILED
> Failed to startup volume: Input/output error
> Checking for self-located MFT segment... ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn:
> magic: 0xc0468167 size: 1024 usa_ofs: 43309 usa_count:
> 58159: Invalid argument
> OK
> MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 280867
> Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
> Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
> Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
> highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> "
>

> thanks a lot
> regards
> bela

Hi Bela!
You might try UBCD4WIN, this is a livefile CD especially for those purposes.
At boot there is an option, you can choose to start into the recovery console
of Windows, and there you can try CHKDSK /P /R c:

This might help.

Good luck!

Hans

P.S. Sorry, this was not really linux or debioan related.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Gary Dale

I have a disk ( I tera Bytes it contains important data!!!)
formatted with nfts,
somebody used it in wind$ a virus seems destroy "something" in
partition table ???

Now no access is possible, although the partition is recognized as
/dev/sdb1 with correct sie, but no possibility to

retive files.
I tried ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 t gave segmentaion fault
I tried testdisk it analysed the disk and gathered the
data, I tried to list the files , it gave same error as ntfs-3g,
I mean segmentation fault??

Is there another rescue software ??
thanks for help

regards

Firstly, copy the entire disk to another one of the same or larger size
by booting from a live distro such as sysrecuecd and using dd (e.g. dd
if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb).

Secondly, using the copy of the disk, try to rescue the disk using
testdisk. This may reconstruct the partition table. If it doesn't work,
you can try photorec to recover files. For photorec, recover the files
to a third disk, not to the original or copy.

Archive: 4F93045B.5040500@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F93045B.5040500@rogers.com

Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Brad Alexander

The final, and arguably most important thing is to always back up your
important data...

I know it's a little late in the game, but this is an important lesson
to learn for future reference...

Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Bill Harris

Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> writes:

> On 21/04/12 11:22 AM, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

>> Is there another rescue software ??

> Firstly, copy the entire disk to another one of the same or larger
> size by booting from a live distro such as sysrecuecd and using dd
> (e.g. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb).

Check out ddrescue as a replacement for dd, too. I've had luck with it
when some files were partially corrupted, but it's been years since I
used it.

Bill

Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Gary Dale