Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Camaleón

Default Prompting for settings on first boot of a pre-installed image.

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:06:30 +0100, peter green wrote:

> Sometimes it is desirable for a system to be shipped in a pre-installed
> form. This may be pre-installed on hardware or it may be in the form of
> an image. In such cases there are a number of questions (language,
> keyboard layout, hostname, network settings, timezone etc) that will be
> known to the end user but will not be known to the person doing the
> installation. There are also certain security settings that should be
> reset under such scenarios.

Mmm... You mean something similiar to what Windows pre-built OEM systems
do, right? When you first power on your brand-new computer, you get a
guided wizard that allows the user to input his/her basic data and then
it finishes the setup and configures the desktop.

> The obvious soloution is to set things up so that the user is asked
> these questions when they first boot thier system. I could probablly
> roll my own scripts to do this if I had to but i'm wondering if this is
> an already solved problem and if so whether someone could point me in
> the direction of the soloution.

I don't of any tool to automate this task in linux (it's usually the
admin who makes this job at install time instead the end user or is the
user who afterwards configures the system to his/her needs) but it would
be more than convenient to have such standarized tool at least for
companies who sell or prepare their own pre-built Debian systems.

I wonder how Canonical, Red Hat or SUSE SLES/SLED (i.e., commercial linux
distributions) manage this...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Mika Suomalainen

21.04.2012 17:57, Camaleón kirjoitti:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:06:30 +0100, peter green wrote:
>
>> Sometimes it is desirable for a system to be shipped in a pre-installed
>> form. This may be pre-installed on hardware or it may be in the form of
>> an image. In such cases there are a number of questions (language,
>> keyboard layout, hostname, network settings, timezone etc) that will be
>> known to the end user but will not be known to the person doing the
>> installation. There are also certain security settings that should be
>> reset under such scenarios.
>
> Mmm... You mean something similiar to what Windows pre-built OEM systems
> do, right? When you first power on your brand-new computer, you get a
> guided wizard that allows the user to input his/her basic data and then
> it finishes the setup and configures the desktop.
>
>> The obvious soloution is to set things up so that the user is asked
>> these questions when they first boot thier system. I could probablly
>> roll my own scripts to do this if I had to but i'm wondering if this is
>> an already solved problem and if so whether someone could point me in
>> the direction of the soloution.
>
> I don't of any tool to automate this task in linux (it's usually the
> admin who makes this job at install time instead the end user or is the
> user who afterwards configures the system to his/her needs) but it would
> be more than convenient to have such standarized tool at least for
> companies who sell or prepare their own pre-built Debian systems.
>
> I wonder how Canonical, Red Hat or SUSE SLES/SLED (i.e., commercial linux
> distributions) manage this...
>
> Greetings,

I can only answer to your latest wondering. Ubuntu has option for "OEM
install" in LIVE-CD menu or at least it used to have. I think that that
option has moved to alternative (text) install CD.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:09:18 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> 21.04.2012 17:57, Camaleón kirjoitti:

(...)

>> I wonder how Canonical, Red Hat or SUSE SLES/SLED (i.e., commercial
>> linux distributions) manage this...
>>

> I can only answer to your latest wondering. Ubuntu has option for "OEM
> install" in LIVE-CD menu or at least it used to have. I think that that
> option has moved to alternative (text) install CD.

Mmm... you must mean this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu_OEM_Installer_Overview

And it seems Linux Mint and Trisquel both provide an ISO for doing
something similar:

Installing Linux Mint 12 in OEM mode
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/747

OEM Installation
http://trisquel.info/en/wiki/oem-installation

For Debian I've only found this same question asked in the forum:

oem-config-prepare for Debian

It would be nice having such a tool ("oem-config") here. If the OP is
interested maybe he can suggest it to be packaged (ITP):

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/index.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 03:05:41PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> It would be nice having such a tool ("oem-config") here. If the OP is
> interested maybe he can suggest it to be packaged (ITP):

That would be "Request For Package" (RFP)

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:39:07 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 03:05:41PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> It would be nice having such a tool ("oem-config") here. If the OP is
>> interested maybe he can suggest it to be packaged (ITP):
>
> That would be "Request For Package" (RFP)

Yes, that's correct:

ITP → a package you are interested in build yourself and maintain
RFP → a package you want someone to build and maintain

Greetings,

--
Camaleón