Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Aves

Default Installing python-django 1.4 on squeeze

Hi,

I'd like to install django 1.4 on squeeze. I read man apt_preferences to get information about pinning and here is what wrote on my preferences file :

###################

Package: *

Pin: release a=stable

Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *

Pin: release a=testing

Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *

Pin: release a=unstable

Pin-Priority: 100

Package: *

Pin: release c=non-free

Pin-Priority: -10

Package: broadcom-sta-common

Pin: release c=non-free

Pin-Priority: 991

Package: python-django

Pin: version 1.4*

Pin-Priority: 991

###################

Unfortunately I can't emerge python-django because of unmet dependencies :

root@Coffee:~# apt-get -t testing install python-django

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree******

Reading state information... Done

or been moved out of Incoming.

initscripts : Breaks: console-setup (< 1.74) but 1.68+squeeze2 is to be installed

************** Breaks: nfs-common (< 1:1.2.5-3) but 1:1.2.2-4squeeze2 is to be installed

libglib2.0-0 : Breaks: eog (< 3.2.2-3) but 2.30.2-1 is to be installed

*************** Breaks: gnome-control-center (< 1:3) but 1:2.30.1-2 is to be installed

libgnome-keyring0 : Breaks: gnome-keyring (< 3.0) but 2.30.3-5 is to be installed

network-manager : Recommends: crda but it is not going to be installed

****************** Breaks: network-manager-gnome (< 0.9) but 0.8.1-2 is to be installed

E: Broken packages

Is there something I've done wrong ?

--

Aves

Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:26:43 +0200, Aves wrote:

> Hi,

Hi. Please, no hmtl posts, thanks.

> I'd like to install django 1.4 on squeeze.

(...)

Just a quick notes on this (others will comment on the pinning issue) :-)

There is django 1.3 available in backports, just in case it servers your
needs.

And a side note... I don't know about Django requirements/dependencies
but being pure python web based framework, have you considered to install
it directly from the upstream project? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Aves

Sorry for HTML,

You're right, the best way to figure it out is probably to download
django from upstream. But I think django 1.4 needs python > 2.6.6 (which
is unfortunately the latest available version on Squeeze I believe).

I'm gonna check all of this.

--
Aves,
FSF Associate Member

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Aves

Indeed, it was much easier to install django from upstream :

# cd /tmp
# wget http://www.djangoproject.com/download/1.4/tarball/
# tar zxvf Django-1.4.tar.gz
# cd Django-1.4