FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Brent Clark
 
Default Seeking aptitude flag to 'do not over write configuration file'

Hiya

I would like to know, when you do an 'aptitide safe-upgrade'

And then you get the following example

Configuration file `/etc/apache2/sites-available/default'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : start a shell to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** default (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

Is there a flag to skip this section and accept no as the default? I.e. Do not over write the configuration.

It will be a really time saver.

Thanks
Brent


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F911A18.3080801@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F911A18.3080801@gmail.com
 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Bjørn Michelsen
 
Default Seeking aptitude flag to 'do not over write configuration file'

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:11:04AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:

Hey there,

> I would like to know, when you do an 'aptitide safe-upgrade'
>
> And then you get the following example
>
> Configuration file `/etc/apache2/sites-available/default'
> ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
> ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
> What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
> Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
> N or O : keep your currently-installed version
> D : show the differences between the versions
> Z : start a shell to examine the situation
> The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** default (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
>
> Is there a flag to skip this section and accept no as the default? I.e. Do not over write the configuration.

The following should do the trick

apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade

If you'd like more information, have a go at the dpkg man page,
especially

confnew: If a conffile has been modified always install
the new version without prompting, unless the
--force-confdef is also specified, in which case the
default action is preferred.

confold: If a conffile has been modified always keep the
old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef
is also specified, in which case the default action is
preferred.

confdef: If a conffile has been modified always choose
the default action. If there is no default action it will
stop to ask the user unless --force-confnew or
--force-confold is also been given, in which case it will
use that to decide the final action.


Hope that solves your problem.

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120420120907.GC29035@bmichelsen.no">http://lists.debian.org/20120420120907.GC29035@bmichelsen.no
 
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Brent Clark
 
Default Seeking aptitude flag to 'do not over write configuration file'

Sir

Thank you so much

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

On 20/04/2012 14:09, Bjørn Michelsen wrote:

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:11:04AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:

Hey there,


I would like to know, when you do an 'aptitide safe-upgrade'

And then you get the following example

Configuration file `/etc/apache2/sites-available/default'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
N or O : keep your currently-installed version
D : show the differences between the versions
Z : start a shell to examine the situation
The default action is to keep your current version.
*** default (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

Is there a flag to skip this section and accept no as the default? I.e. Do not over write the configuration.


The following should do the trick

apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade

If you'd like more information, have a go at the dpkg man page,
especially

confnew: If a conffile has been modified always install
the new version without prompting, unless the
--force-confdef is also specified, in which case the
default action is preferred.

confold: If a conffile has been modified always keep the
old version without prompting, unless the --force-confdef
is also specified, in which case the default action is
preferred.

confdef: If a conffile has been modified always choose
the default action. If there is no default action it will
stop to ask the user unless --force-confnew or
--force-confold is also been given, in which case it will
use that to decide the final action.


Hope that solves your problem.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F9174FA.4050909@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F9174FA.4050909@gmail.com
 
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Bjørn Michelsen
 
Default Seeking aptitude flag to 'do not over write configuration file'

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 04:38:50PM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> On 20/04/2012 14:09, Bjørn Michelsen wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:11:04AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:

Hey there,

(...)

> >>Configuration file `/etc/apache2/sites-available/default'
> >> ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
> >> ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
> >> What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
> >> Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
> >> N or O : keep your currently-installed version
> >> D : show the differences between the versions
> >> Z : start a shell to examine the situation
> >> The default action is to keep your current version.
> >>*** default (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
> >>
> >>Is there a flag to skip this section and accept no as the default? I.e. Do not over write the configuration.
> >
> >The following should do the trick
> >
> > apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade

(...)

> Thank you so much

You're welcome, and I'm glad it worked!

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120420144818.GA16701@bmichelsen.no">http://lists.debian.org/20120420144818.GA16701@bmichelsen.no
 
Old 04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Seeking aptitude flag to 'do not over write configuration file'

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:11:04 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:

> I would like to know, when you do an 'aptitide safe-upgrade'
>
> And then you get the following example
>
> Configuration file `/etc/apache2/sites-available/default'

(...)

> N or O : keep your currently-installed version

(...)

> Is there a flag to skip this section and accept no as the default? I.e.
> Do not over write the configuration.
>
> It will be a really time saver.

It can also be a security flaw. At least for *that* specific case (the
default apache configuration file can expose your system when some
conditions are met; more info at DSA-2452-1).

IMO, security updates deserve a careful examination before deciding how
to proceed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jms0tg$o0u$15@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jms0tg$o0u$15@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org