Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Paul Lewis

Default Upgrading to an SSD

I like to try out one of the newish Solid State drives. What has
prompted this is that my machine has started to complain about low disk
space on /root.

Using disk analyser I can see there is loads of free disk space.

This is a 250GB drive but only 22GB is actually being used. Suggesting
to me that I could easily shoehorn my whole operating system (including
home partition ) into one of the cheapish 64GB ss drives.

I'd like to convert my existing hard drive to hold media from the TTV
reciever and perhaps reinstall MythTV absent for a year or so.

Here is my concern. When I installed this system I elected to encrypt
the drive and use lvm.

1. I'd like to avoid 'root' full errors in future.

2. Assuming I have my SSD installed and formatted, what would be the
best, simplest and most trouble free process to move everything from my
existing hard drive to the new SSD?

People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and
diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public

-- Adam Smith

Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Darac Marjal

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:22:23AM +0100, Paul Lewis wrote:
> I like to try out one of the newish Solid State drives. What has
> prompted this is that my machine has started to complain about low disk
> space on /root.
>
> Using disk analyser I can see there is loads of free disk space.
>
> This is a 250GB drive but only 22GB is actually being used. Suggesting
> to me that I could easily shoehorn my whole operating system (including
> home partition ) into one of the cheapish 64GB ss drives.
>
> I'd like to convert my existing hard drive to hold media from the TTV
> reciever and perhaps reinstall MythTV absent for a year or so.
>
> Here is my concern. When I installed this system I elected to encrypt
> the drive and use lvm.
>
> 1. I'd like to avoid 'root' full errors in future.

Is your root partition on the LVM? If not, you might want to consider
making a new LV (perhaps shrinking one of your other partitions and
reclaiming some of that 200GB free space) for root. You could then boot
into a LiveCD, rsync from the old root partition to the new partition
and then update bootloader, fstab etc. Et Voila, you're booting from
root on LVM. Next time root gets full, add a few extents to it.

> 2. Assuming I have my SSD installed and formatted, what would be the
> best, simplest and most trouble free process to move everything from my
> existing hard drive to the new SSD?

You might be able to do this online by creating a PV on the SSD, add it
to your VG and then use "pvmove" to migrate LVs between the disks.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Paul Lewis

On 20/04/12 09:43:50, Darac Marjal wrote:

> > Here is my concern. When I installed this system I elected to
> > encrypt the drive and use lvm.
> >
> > 1. I'd like to avoid 'root' full errors in future.
>
> Is your root partition on the LVM?

I think it is, running LVM and selecting logical view it looks as if
root is /dev/kingston/root.

In the physical view root is described as linear mapping 83 extents.

> If not, you might want to consider making a new LV (perhaps
> shrinking one of your other partitions and reclaiming some of that
> 200GB free space) for root.

To address my immediate problem of low disk space on root and given
that root does appear to be on the lvm, I could do that now?

For example, shrink /home and reallocate the freed space to /root?

> You could then boot into a LiveCD, rsync from the old root
> partition to the new partition and then update bootloader, fstab
> etc. Et Voila, you're booting from root on LVM. Next time root gets
> full, add a few extents to it.
>

> > 2. Assuming I have my SSD installed and formatted, what would be
> > the best, simplest and most trouble free process to move
> > everything from my existing hard drive to the new SSD?
>
> You might be able to do this online by creating a PV on the SSD, add
> it to your VG and then use "pvmove" to migrate LVs between the
> disks.

Would it be a problem if the new SSD is much smaller than the original
HD?

Thanks

News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is just
advertising.

Lord Northcliffe

Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Jon Dowland

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:07:46AM +0100, Paul Lewis wrote:
> On 20/04/12 09:43:50, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > If not, you might want to consider making a new LV (perhaps
> > shrinking one of your other partitions and reclaiming some of that
> > 200GB free space) for root.
>
> To address my immediate problem of low disk space on root and given
> that root does appear to be on the lvm, I could do that now?
>
> For example, shrink /home and reallocate the freed space to /root?

Your root is on LVM.

If have free (unallocated) space in your LVM volume group (check the output of
'vgs' as root to confirm), you can grow your root logical volume via

lvextend -L+XG /dev/kingston/root # where 'X' is a number of GB e.g. 5
resize2fs /dev/kingston/root # assuming you are using ext3 or ext4 filesystem

If you don't have free space in your volume group, you will need to reclaim
some, somehow. Shrinking filesystems is not trivial.