Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Default Is there a system sync tool?

Hi,
I have a PC at work, and a PC at home. And I am really tired to
build the same environment at home every time I changed something at
work.
So just wonder if you guys have some idea to help. For example, when
I updates something (configuration, packages, etc), the tool would
somehow record the change (through internet or on a usb drive). So I
could just re-do the change at home.
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Indulekha

Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a PC at work, and a PC at home. And I am really tired to
> build the same environment at home every time I changed something at
> work.
> So just wonder if you guys have some idea to help. For example, when
> I updates something (configuration, packages, etc), the tool would
> somehow record the change (through internet or on a usb drive). So I
> could just re-do the change at home.

I use rsync for exactly that.
Have a look at man rsync.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:39:11 +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:

> I have a PC at work, and a PC at home. And I am really tired to
> build the same environment at home every time I changed something at
> work.
> So just wonder if you guys have some idea to help. For example, when
> I updates something (configuration, packages, etc), the tool would
> somehow record the change (through internet or on a usb drive). So I
> could just re-do the change at home.

Are both systems sharing a 1:1 configuration? If no, you can end up with
a royal mess :-)

Anyway, I don't know of any package/tool that "syncs" between the full
system configuration, patches and setup.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM