Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
William Thompson

Default X configuration with xserver-xorg-video-intel

I have 2 PCs with a 915 chipset. One wants to use 1280x768 resolution and
the other wants 1152x864 resolution. I haven't setup a new system in a
while with X and I'm running into some problems/differences.

I like to have my systems setup so that I can cycle through different
resolutions. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this to work. The debconf
configuration for xserver-xorg doesn't ask about the video anymore.

Around the time that the xserver-xorg-video-i810 package was changed to
install xserver-xorg-video-intel (dummy package), I was setting up a system
and was also having problems with it and resolutions and went with the older
package that contained the i810 driver.

Apparently, the xserver-xorg-video-intel has not had any of these problems
fixed.

Here's my current configuration:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "AutoRepeat" "250 40"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1152x864" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:36:53PM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> I have 2 PCs with a 915 chipset. One wants to use 1280x768 resolution and
> the other wants 1152x864 resolution. I haven't setup a new system in a
> while with X and I'm running into some problems/differences.
>
> I like to have my systems setup so that I can cycle through different
> resolutions. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this to work. The debconf
> configuration for xserver-xorg doesn't ask about the video anymore.
>
> Around the time that the xserver-xorg-video-i810 package was changed to
> install xserver-xorg-video-intel (dummy package), I was setting up a system
> and was also having problems with it and resolutions and went with the older
> package that contained the i810 driver.
>
> Apparently, the xserver-xorg-video-intel has not had any of these problems
> fixed.
>
> Here's my current configuration:

> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> DefaultDepth 16
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 16
> Modes "1152x864" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection

the intel driver is pretty good at detecting stuff these days. I
recommend you start with a bare bones xorg.conf and see what it
detects before you start trying to force things on it. Comment out
everything in the screen section except the Identifier, Device and
Monitor and see what happens.

A close scrutiny of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will then tell you exactly
what it finds...

Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
William Thompson

I forgot to mention that I'm not on the list, Keep me in the CC.

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:08:20PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:36:53PM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> > I have 2 PCs with a 915 chipset. One wants to use 1280x768 resolution and
> > the other wants 1152x864 resolution. I haven't setup a new system in a
> > while with X and I'm running into some problems/differences.
> >
> > I like to have my systems setup so that I can cycle through different
> > resolutions. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this to work. The debconf
> > configuration for xserver-xorg doesn't ask about the video anymore.
> > Here's my current configuration:

> > Section "Screen"
> > Identifier "Default Screen"
> > Device "Configured Video Device"
> > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> > DefaultDepth 16
> > SubSection "Display"
> > Depth 16
> > Modes "1152x864" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
> > EndSubSection
> > EndSection
>
> the intel driver is pretty good at detecting stuff these days. I
> recommend you start with a bare bones xorg.conf and see what it
> detects before you start trying to force things on it. Comment out
> everything in the screen section except the Identifier, Device and
> Monitor and see what happens.

Unfortunately I do *NOT* want it detecting this "stuff". As I said, I have
2 computers. Both are using 17" CRTs (4:3). The section you quoted was
added after my initial configuration and one used 1152x864 and the other used
1280x768. On both, I have only 1 resolution. I'm unable to use the
C-A-plus/minus to change from one resolution to another. The resolutions
listed in the display subsection is the ones I want to beable to use on both
machines in the listed order.

> A close scrutiny of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will then tell you exactly
> what it finds...

I looked, but didn't see much. I saw mode lines for several resolutions on
the one that is doing 1280x768. I did not see 1152x864 on that one. I also
enabled modedebug in the video driver just to see what it says.

Should I send the xlog (if so, /w or w/o modedebug)?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:25:31AM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I'm not on the list, Keep me in the CC.
>
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:08:20PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:36:53PM -0400, William Thompson wrote:
> > > I have 2 PCs with a 915 chipset. One wants to use 1280x768 resolution and
> > > the other wants 1152x864 resolution. I haven't setup a new system in a
> > > while with X and I'm running into some problems/differences.
> > >
> > > I like to have my systems setup so that I can cycle through different
> > > resolutions. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get this to work. The debconf
> > > configuration for xserver-xorg doesn't ask about the video anymore.
> > > Here's my current configuration:

> > > Section "Screen"
> > > Identifier "Default Screen"
> > > Device "Configured Video Device"
> > > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> > > DefaultDepth 16
> > > SubSection "Display"
> > > Depth 16
> > > Modes "1152x864" "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
> > > EndSubSection
> > > EndSection
> >
> > the intel driver is pretty good at detecting stuff these days. I
> > recommend you start with a bare bones xorg.conf and see what it
> > detects before you start trying to force things on it. Comment out
> > everything in the screen section except the Identifier, Device and
> > Monitor and see what happens.
>
> Unfortunately I do *NOT* want it detecting this "stuff". As I said, I have
> 2 computers. Both are using 17" CRTs (4:3). The section you quoted was
> added after my initial configuration and one used 1152x864 and the other used
> 1280x768. On both, I have only 1 resolution. I'm unable to use the
> C-A-plus/minus to change from one resolution to another. The resolutions
> listed in the display subsection is the ones I want to beable to use on both
> machines in the listed order.

I see. I was unclear as to exactly what you wanted here. So far as I
know, the intel driver ignores the Modes lines and goes with what it
detects unless you tell it otherwise. There is an option you can set
that tells it to follow the MOdes, though I can't for the life of me
find it at the moment (sorry).

What output do you get from xrandr?

> > A close scrutiny of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will then tell you exactly
> > what it finds...
>
> I looked, but didn't see much. I saw mode lines for several resolutions on
> the one that is doing 1280x768. I did not see 1152x864 on that one. I also
> enabled modedebug in the video driver just to see what it says.

> Should I send the xlog (if so, /w or w/o modedebug)?

I think without modedebug at the moment.