Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Dan Hitt

Default installing emacs on debian 6.0.4

I just installed debian 6.0.4 on a partition on my computer.

I would like to install emacs on it, but so far have been quite unsuccessful.

I imagine that something is missing from my /etc/apt/sources.list.

My sources.list file is (omitting all comments):
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
deb-src http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib

I also ran:
wget -q -O - http://emacs.naquadah.org/key.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
to get to the naquadah stuff.

I've tried installing with
sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot
as well as with the Synaptic package manager.

Errors have this sort of form:
emacs-snapshot:
Depends: emacs-snapshot-bin-common but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libm17n-0 (>=1.6.1) but it is not installable
Depends: libotf0 (>=0.9.11) but it is not installable

The Synaptic error page also says (cannot copy/paste here, so typing):
The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that
all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.

Note that prior to using either the command line or Synaptic, i did:
apt-get update
apt-get -f dist-upgrade

So . . . i'd be grateful if anybody could give me an example of a
correct sources.list for 6.0.4,
or suggest something else to try. (And if this is in the fine manual,
or the faq, or some other well known place, please point me to it.)

Thanks in advance.

dan

Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Bob Proulx

Dan Hitt wrote:
> I just installed debian 6.0.4 on a partition on my computer.
>
> I would like to install emacs on it, but so far have been quite unsuccessful.
>
> I imagine that something is missing from my /etc/apt/sources.list.

Yes. You are missing the main archive.

You do not have http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian there.

> deb http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
> deb-src http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/

I am not familiar with those. Why do you have them? For the moment
humor me and comment those out. Then install the standard set and
install emacs from there.

You want these:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

And optionally you may want these. I will mention them so that you
have them. But they are definitely optional and not required.
However if you are withing to run Firefox on Squeeze then you
definitely want these added to get the current version. See
http://mozilla.debian.net/ for more information.

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

After editing your /etc/apt/sources.list file run:

apt-get update

apt-get install emacs
apt-get install emacs23-common-non-dfsg

Additionally you might find these optional extras useful:

apt-get install emacs-el
apt-get install emacs-goodies-el

Bob

Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Dan Hitt

Thank you Bob!

This works, now i have emacs, and i can leave vi alone until
the next time i have to install something.

Now, here are some more particular details in answer to
your questions and advice (and also, in case somebody
is doing a search and stumbles across this thread).

(1) As to why i had the naquadah lines: when i first
installed debian, i could not install emacs. So i
did some net research, and i guess went off on a wild
tangent based on some bug reports somewhere. But
they are commented out now (and didn't quite work
anyway, since i had those unmet dependencies).

(2) I put in all the lines you recommended, including the
optional ones (backports and mozilla). When i did
sudo apt-get update
i got an error linked to the backports:
W: GPG error: http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is
not available: NO_PUBKEY 85A3D26506C4AE2A

However, the command exited with status 0, and it didn't seem
to interfere with getting emacs.

(I'm assuming that i need to do something with apt-key to fix this problem.)

(3) I could not install emacs-el (E: Unable to locate package
emacs-el), so i assume that the spelling isn't exactly right.

But all the other packages (including the goodies) did install.

(4) Finally, as to how i got the /etc/apt/sources.list:

I installed from DVD, but did not configure the network at
installation time (because i don't have DHCP and i didn't want to
hardwire in an ip address [as i'm behind DSL]).

So the sources.list was full of dvd lines, but the network lines were
commented out,
typically saying "Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:".

So i just commented out all of the dvd lines, and uncommented all the
network lines
(http or ftp).

And there was no "ftp.us.debian.org" anywhere in the file.

Thanks again for your help, which really was a relief, besides being so speedy.

dan

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Bob Proulx

Dan Hitt wrote:
> (2) I put in all the lines you recommended, including the
> optional ones (backports and mozilla). When i did
> sudo apt-get update
> i got an error linked to the backports:
> W: GPG error: http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The
> following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is
> not available: NO_PUBKEY 85A3D26506C4AE2A

Right. See the instructions on http://mozilla.debian.net/ for how to
install the archive key. In a nutshell if you install the keyring
pkg-mozilla-archive-keyring package then it will be able to verify all
of the packages. Or you can use apt-key to add it.

> (3) I could not install emacs-el (E: Unable to locate package
> emacs-el), so i assume that the spelling isn't exactly right.

Oops. My typing. It should be emacs23-el. It isn't critical. But
it is the lisp source .el files for all of the .elc files. Which is
often nice to browse through when developing.

> Thanks again for your help, which really was a relief, besides being so speedy.

Happy to help and glad to hear that you are all set now.

Bob