Old 04-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Richard Hector

Default How do Install debian kernel without updating to latest kernel image

On 19/04/12 15:27, Sarveshwar.Bandi@Emulex.Com wrote:

I am trying to install different versions of Debian from Debian install
CDs. For example Debian 6.0.0, 6.0.3 and 6.0.4. After installing any of
CDs I see the debian_version is showing as 6.0.4. The uname –a shows the
same after any of the installations. I want to install each of these
versions and be able to build my driver against them. So I also need the
linux kernel header for the specific version of debian and kernel
sources too.

I was told that installer is automatically upgrading the system. No
matter what combination I try during install, the debian_version and
uname –a are the same!!!

Or is this expected behavior? What am I missing?

Isn't there an option, during the apt setup, to not use
security.debian.org for security updates? I guess you might need the
'expert' install option for that (I always use it, so I don't know
what's left out if you don't). Or even don't plug it into the network at
all.

Of course you'd need full CDs; I imagine netinst ones will always need
to download packages, and so will get current ones.

But also, why do you need to support outdated (potentially insecure)
kernels?

Richard