Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
John Lindsay

Default possible screw-up installing HP printer

I just installed an HP Laserjet P1102w. I have the Hp status icon
showing in the upper RH side of my toolbar. The printer icon shows up
whenever I print something BUT I have the following folders and files
residing in my Downloads folder and I want to know if I can just delete
them or did I really screw up the installation of this printer by
causing it to be installed in my Downloads folder?

Some of the folder names are
'base','copier','data','fax','hplip-3.12.2', which shows a locked file
and root only viewing, And even more files like align.py, cups_drv.inc,
hp-hp.io, hpijs etc and a lot of libapdk_la files. Its only 65meg of
files and folders but it is very messy and I would like to clean it up.

John

Archive: 4F8F4F1D.4030600@sentex.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F8F4F1D.4030600@sentex.net

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:32:45 -0400
John Lindsay <jclind@sentex.net> wrote:

Hello John,

> residing in my Downloads folder and I want to know if I can just
> delete them or did I really screw up the installation of this printer
> by causing it to be installed in my Downloads folder?

Without a crystal ball, it's difficult to tell which install method you
used; Source tarball, Install script from HP web site or
apt(itude)/synaptic.

At a guess, however, I'd say from the HP install script. If yes, then
deleting the files and directories from your Download directory will
kill the install.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:32:45 -0400, John Lindsay wrote:

> I just installed an HP Laserjet P1102w. I have the Hp status icon
> showing in the upper RH side of my toolbar. The printer icon shows up
> whenever I print something BUT I have the following folders and files
> residing in my Downloads folder and I want to know if I can just delete
> them or did I really screw up the installation of this printer by
> causing it to be installed in my Downloads folder?
>
> Some of the folder names are
> 'base','copier','data','fax','hplip-3.12.2', which shows a locked file
> and root only viewing, And even more files like align.py, cups_drv.inc,
> hp-hp.io, hpijs etc and a lot of libapdk_la files. Its only 65meg of
> files and folders but it is very messy and I would like to clean it up.

How did you install the printer? Those files seem to come from the untar-
ed hplip package :-?

Just a quick note: unless you need the "hplip" package for some specific
reason your printer can be configured from CUPS web interface (http://
localhost:631) using "foo2zjs" drivers, meaning that you don't need hplip
at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Camaleón

El 2012-04-20 a las 18:02 -0400, John Lindsay escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 19/04/12 12:38 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:32:45 -0400, John Lindsay wrote:
>>

>>> I just installed an HP Laserjet P1102w. I have the Hp status icon
>>> showing in the upper RH side of my toolbar. The printer icon shows up
>>> whenever I print something BUT I have the following folders and files
>>> residing in my Downloads folder and I want to know if I can just delete
>>> them or did I really screw up the installation of this printer by
>>> causing it to be installed in my Downloads folder?
>>>
>>> Some of the folder names are
>>> 'base','copier','data','fax','hplip-3.12.2', which shows a locked file
>>> and root only viewing, And even more files like align.py, cups_drv.inc,
>>> hp-hp.io, hpijs etc and a lot of libapdk_la files. Its only 65meg of
>>> files and folders but it is very messy and I would like to clean it up.
>>>
>> How did you install the printer? Those files seem to come from the untar-
>> ed hplip package :-?
>>
>> Just a quick note: unless you need the "hplip" package for some specific
>> reason your printer can be configured from CUPS web interface (http://
>> localhost:631) using "foo2zjs" drivers, meaning that you don't need hplip
>> at all.

> Hi Camaleon
>
> Yes, I inserted the cd and followed the instructions from the HP site.

The CD? What CD? You mean the printer came with a CD for Linux? Wow!
This is new to me, but kudos to HP is that's so :-)

> I will look into the 'http://localhost:631' and see what this 'foo2zjs' is
> all about. Had a Brother printer that had issues with installing from
> localhost so that’s why I followed the HP site. Thank you for all your
> help.

Using CUPS web interface is usually the easiest way to install a
printer when the driver is included in Ghostscript and the printer is
detected correctly. HPLIP adds some nice features for multi-function
devices (print-scan-copy-fax) though, but that's not your case, I guess.

> Just an aside how do you get the 'o' with the mark above it?
>
> John

You mean the accented "ó" in my name? If you're using a US keymap that
comes from the Compose key, usually set to "Right Ctrl". You have to
press "R-Ctrl", then "'" and the letter you want to accentuate, e.g.,

For people who usually have to write diacritics on a US keyboard it's
usually better to add a secondary keyboard layout ("us-intl").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón