Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Mike Linksvayer

Default wheezy: / mounts readonly at boot, I can't figure out why

http://gondwanaland.com/i/20120417-boot.png shows boot screen photo;
nothing is logged obviously

fsck finds no problems http://gondwanaland.com/i/20120417-fsck.png

mount -o remount,rw / works fine

(but I have to restart network-manager and gdm3 to get a usable
system; I'm not sure it is related, but I can't seem to connect to a
service running on localhost, eg python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080 and
in another terminal w3m http://localhost:8080, w3m times out)

I don't notice anything amiss in fstab

#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=2934c627-6f1a-438b-a877-1544108c7418 / ext3
errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=39b1f59e-6193-4c46-8b4d-80b183f0b19c none swap sw
0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

Root filesystem mounted fine under squeeze, and after I upgraded to
wheezy. I've been living with it for a bit, so I'm not exactly sure,
but I think it started after doing a dist-upgrade on wheezy, but that
could be coincidence. The machine is a Lenovo T400 FWIW.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Hopefully I'm doing something
obviously wrong and fixable, but if not any hints about how to debug?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Mike Linksvayer

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:19, Mike Linksvayer <ml@gondwanaland.com> wrote:
> http://gondwanaland.com/i/20120417-boot.png shows boot screen photo;
> nothing is logged obviously
>
> fsck finds no problems http://gondwanaland.com/i/20120417-fsck.png
>
> mount -o remount,rw / works fine
>
> (but I have to restart network-manager and gdm3 to get a usable
> system; I'm not sure it is related, but I can't seem to connect to a
> service running on localhost, eg python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080 and
> in another terminal w3m http://localhost:8080, w3m times out)

I also asked this at
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/36797/readonly-on-boot-but-dont-see-why-how-to-investigate-and-fix
and didn't get an answer, but was prompted enough by questions to
maybe have figured it out; at least / now is mounted rw at root.

I think the problem was that the /etc/rcS.d/07checkroot.sh symbolic
link to /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh was missing. I have no idea how;
don't see a related bug report. I'm curious if anyone knows.

I'm also curious what actually does determine boot order as of wheezy
currently. I see the dependency annotations in /etc/init.d scripts,
and what I guess is a rendering of those in /etc/init.d/.depend.* (and
those files were also recently updated; does insserv do that? I ran it
thinking it'd give me command line options), but also the /etc/rc*
stuff.

Mike

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Roger Leigh

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 06:26:44PM -0700, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> I'm also curious what actually does determine boot order as of wheezy
> currently. I see the dependency annotations in /etc/init.d scripts,
> and what I guess is a rendering of those in /etc/init.d/.depend.* (and
> those files were also recently updated; does insserv do that? I ran it
> thinking it'd give me command line options), but also the /etc/rc*
> stuff.

Yes, insserv is responsible for managing the link ordering and
creating the .depend files. I've not tested this, but my understanding
is that if you remove the link, insserv will not recreate it--it will
assume that you do not want to run the service. So if it got
deleted for some reason, that would explain why you were experiencing
this problem.

Regards,
Roger

--