Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Jens Tobiska

Default Which partition is which

I have a computer with windows xp and two ntfs partitions. One of them
(D is empty and I would like to use it for debian. My problem is to
figure out which partition corresponds to the empty partition when
installing debian, i.e. which partition I can modify.

The partitions appear as follows in Windows XP disk management:

C: 139.80 GB NTFS, logical, boot
D: 139.65 GB NTFS, primary, system

In debian installer they appear as:

#2 primary 149.9 GB ntfs B
#5 logical 150.1 GB ntfs

I would guess that #2=D and #5=C based on relative size and
"logical/primary". However, I am a bit confused by the "B" (which I
assume means "boot"), shouldn't that be on the logical/C partition?