Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Jason Filippou

Default wLAN interface recognised, wicd won't co-operate (plz CC!)

Hello list,

I'm having trouble making wicd work on a debian squeeze 6.04 machine.
First of all, the hardware specifics:

jason@debian-laptop:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
6.0.4
jason@debian-laptop:~$ uname -r
2.6.32-5-686

Second, lspci recognises both wired and wireless interfaces:

jason@debian-laptop:~$ lspci | grep -i network
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
[Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
05:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network
Connection (rev 02)

iwconfig recognises the SSID "NETGEAR" of the network I'm trying to
connect to without any luck for the past hour:

jason@debian-laptop:~$ sudo iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:"NETGEAR"
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff

pan0 no wireless extensions.

I have included "wlan0" under wicd preferences and installed
firmware-ralink as suggested here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58381 and here:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/20313/wicd-cannot-detect-wireless-networks-on-debian-6-testing-xfce-fresh-install.

*HOWEVER*, it seems that the wlan0 interface still won't scan for
available wireless networks:

jason@debian-laptop:~$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

Please keep in mind that there is no issue about hardware malfunctions
or the network being unavailable, because my Windows partition logs
into the network without any problems.

Kindly CC me as I'm not subscribed on the list,

Jason

--
Jason Filippou
Research Associate

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Brian

On Wed 18 Apr 2012 at 12:40:42 +0300, Jason Filippou wrote:

[Tale about a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG snipped.]

> I have included "wlan0" under wicd preferences and installed
> firmware-ralink as suggested here:

At

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlegacy

it suggests you want the firmware-iwlwifi package.

> Kindly CC me as I'm not subscribed on the list,

Done.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 AM
keith

Brian wrote:

[Tale about a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG snipped.]

I have included "wlan0" under wicd preferences and installed
firmware-ralink as suggested here:

At

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlegacy

it suggests you want the firmware-iwlwifi package.

Kindly CC me as I'm not subscribed on the list,

Done.

...and then > Network > Find a hidden network > enter ESSID > connect ;
will ask for your password, enter it, then hit 'connect' again; should
now work.

Keith

--
Sent from Free Open Source Software