Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Alan Chandler

Default Mythtv problem with versions

I have a server running Squeeze. It has mythtv-backend to record all my
TV programs.

On my desktop I run Sid. After an update over the weekend, my Mythtv
Frontend will no longer connect to my backend, complaining that

"This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 35
versions behind)

Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database".

I suspect that I need to somehow update the backend. But with that
being Squeeze, that could be rather difficult.

Anyone got any suggestions of how to deal wth this.

[Mythweb will stream the TV. and that almost works, but I do tend to
want to save programs mid way through or want to rapidly skip forward
and backward. The media play that is launched by the browser doesn't
seem to all any of this.]

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4F8DB547.5020105@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4F8DB547.5020105@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Alan Chandler

I have a server running Squeeze. It has mythtv-backend to record all
my TV programs.

On my desktop I run Sid. After an update over the weekend, my Mythtv
Frontend will no longer connect to my backend, complaining that

"This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 35
versions behind)

Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database".

I suspect that I need to somehow update the backend. But with that
being Squeeze, that could be rather difficult.

Anyone got any suggestions of how to deal wth this.

[Mythweb will stream the TV. and that almost works, but I do tend to
want to save programs mid way through or want to rapidly skip forward
and backward. The media play that is launched by the browser doesn't
seem to all any of this.]

I installed XBMC and it seems to be doing just fine reading the backend
database.

--

Archive: 4F8DC48E.1060806@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4F8DC48E.1060806@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:24:07PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I have a server running Squeeze. It has mythtv-backend to record
> all my TV programs.
>
> On my desktop I run Sid. After an update over the weekend, my
> Mythtv Frontend will no longer connect to my backend, complaining
> that
>
> "This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 35
> versions behind)
>
> Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database".
>
> I suspect that I need to somehow update the backend. But with that
> being Squeeze, that could be rather difficult.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions of how to deal wth this.
>
> [Mythweb will stream the TV. and that almost works, but I do tend to
> want to save programs mid way through or want to rapidly skip
> forward and backward. The media play that is launched by the
> browser doesn't seem to all any of this.]

I confirmed with the debian-multimedia maintainer that the testing
version of MythTV would always be compatible with the stable version. I
am running a stable backend, and a testing frontend.

I don't think that the unstable version is necessarily compatible with
the stable version. In fact, I recall recently on the debian-multimedia
mailing list that there was a new version in unstable. So I suspect
what happened is that your frontend got updated, and it refused to
communicate with your stable backend, because the databases have
different schemas.

-Rob

Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Marty

On 04/29/12 10:41, Rob Owens wrote:

[...]

My testing mythtv-frontend is at version 0.25. I get the same error
message as the original poster. Reportedly, the 0.24/0.25 combination
does not work:

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-April/332832.html

If you got this combination to work then I would like to know how you
did it.

Archive: 4FBA5466.8010502@ix.netcom.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FBA5466.8010502@ix.netcom.com

Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Dan Ritter

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:42:46AM -0400, Marty wrote:
> My testing mythtv-frontend is at version 0.25. I get the same error
> message as the original poster. Reportedly, the 0.24/0.25
> combination does not work:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-April/332832.html
>
> If you got this combination to work then I would like to know how
> you did it.

Not just reportedly. By design, the frontend version must match
the backend version. (SVN versions don't count; the API version
is linked to the release version.)

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Rob Owens

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:42:46AM -0400, Marty wrote:
> On 04/29/12 10:41, Rob Owens wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:24:07PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >> I have a server running Squeeze. It has mythtv-backend to record
> >> all my TV programs.
> >>
> >> On my desktop I run Sid. After an update over the weekend, my
> >> Mythtv Frontend will no longer connect to my backend, complaining
> >> that
> >>
> >> "This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 35
> >> versions behind)
> >>
> >> Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database".
> >>
> >> I suspect that I need to somehow update the backend. But with that
> >> being Squeeze, that could be rather difficult.
> >>
> >> Anyone got any suggestions of how to deal wth this.
> >>
> >> [Mythweb will stream the TV. and that almost works, but I do tend to
> >> want to save programs mid way through or want to rapidly skip
> >> forward and backward. The media play that is launched by the
> >> browser doesn't seem to all any of this.]
> >>
> >I confirmed with the debian-multimedia maintainer that the testing
> >version of MythTV would always be compatible with the stable version. I
> >am running a stable backend, and a testing frontend.
>
> My testing mythtv-frontend is at version 0.25. I get the same error
> message as the original poster. Reportedly, the 0.24/0.25
> combination does not work:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-April/332832.html
>
> If you got this combination to work then I would like to know how
> you did it.

I just checked my systems and you are correct. Stable is on 0.24 and
testing is on 0.25 (except that I haven't upgraded my testing system
past 0.24).

Here is the thread where I asked about maintaining compatibility. I
guess Christian Marillat either made a mistake or changed his mind.

http://www.deb-multimedia.org/lurker/message/20111202.230526.5f4a397c.en.html

-Rob

Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 07:08:53PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> Here is the thread where I asked about maintaining compatibility. I
> guess Christian Marillat either made a mistake or changed his mind.
>
> http://www.deb-multimedia.org/lurker/message/20111202.230526.5f4a397c.en.html

There is some discontent:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-May/thread.html#26678

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 02:12:57AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 07:08:53PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > Here is the thread where I asked about maintaining compatibility. I
> > guess Christian Marillat either made a mistake or changed his mind.

This explains the problem a bit better:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-April/thread.html#25867

Unfortunately, I yhink you will have to check each libray version and see
where the incompatibility lies.

As far as I can tell, the pkg-multimedia-maintainers have given up
trying to be compatible.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 05-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 02:53:17AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 02:12:57AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 07:08:53PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > > Here is the thread where I asked about maintaining compatibility. I
> > > guess Christian Marillat either made a mistake or changed his mind.
>
> This explains the problem a bit better:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-April/thread.html#25867

Ah, well that explains the recent name change from debian-multimedia.org to
deb-multimedia.org

-Rob