-   -   why trying to contact port 25 popov.debian.org (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/656936-why-trying-contact-port-25-popov-debian-org.html)

Ross Boylan 04-17-2012 03:54 PM

why trying to contact port 25 popov.debian.org

A VM running squeeze started trying to send email to popov.debian.org
several days ago (I assume: it's trying port 25).
http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi says this server is for popcon, and
that was my first thought. But /etc/popularity-contest.conf says
MY_HOSTID="xxxx"
PARTICIPATE="yes"
USEHTTP="yes"
DAY="0"

which I thought meant it would use http.

Have I misunderstood? Is this a bug?

Thanks.
Ross

Camaleón 04-17-2012 04:42 PM

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:54:28 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> A VM running squeeze started trying to send email to popov.debian.org
> several days ago (I assume: it's trying port 25).
> http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi says this server is for popcon, and
> that was my first thought. But /etc/popularity-contest.conf says
> MY_HOSTID="xxxx"
> PARTICIPATE="yes"
> USEHTTP="yes"
> DAY="0"
>
> which I thought meant it would use http.
>
> Have I misunderstood? Is this a bug?

***
http://popcon.debian.org/FAQ

Q) How can I prevent popularity-contest from sending reports via email?

A) This is not recommended. Reports are sent by email only when the HTTP
submission fails, which is generally caused by a temporary lack of
internet connectivity. By contrast, reports sent by email are stored in
the mail server queue until the internet connectivity is back.

Nevertheless, you can prevent popularity-contest from sending reports via
email by adding
MAILTO=
to /etc/popularity-contest.conf
***