Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

Default An Mplayer question

On 4/7/08, Walt L. Williams <waltwilliams@intergate.com> wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> I used Mplayer on the SuSE(10) system I used to use
> to play mpg and avi movies. On my former system I merely
> had to do the install it and it was ready to use. Mplayer
> on Debian (etch) seems to be broken. What must I do
> to get Mplayer working on Debian? It gives me to
> following error:
>
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device
>
> Any suggestions on how to correct this?

If you run mplayer from the command line, it will give you more
information about what it is doing. Look for the line about which
VO method it is trying to use. It will look something like this:
VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240 Planar YV12

(the bit in [] being the important part)

Also check to see if there are any other errors.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM
"Walt L. Williams"