-   -   how to fix aptitude errors upgrading LMDE UP3 -> UP4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/656670-how-fix-aptitude-errors-upgrading-lmde-up3-up4.html)

Tom Roche 04-16-2012 06:34 PM

how to fix aptitude errors upgrading LMDE UP3 -> UP4

(Apologies if this is not the correct place to post (is there an
apt-user or aptitude-user list?), but it's been helpful in past.)

As detailed @

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=99035

recently I successfully upgraded a box with Linux Mint Debian Edition
Update Pack 3 (with which I've been a happy ubuntu refugee) to the
recently-announced LMDE UP4. Saturday (14 Apr 2012) I tried to do this
on another box (after again doing both a full duplicity backup and a
clonezilla). mintupdate (which I launched, as before, from console
with `gksudo mintupdate &`) just kept dying, silently, in many
different places. I tried again Sunday (15 Apr) night, with same
results. Eventually I gave up, and went back to aptitude, launched via
`sudo aptitude update ; sudo aptitude full-upgrade`

aptitude did not die silently! and chugged on until finished. However,
on finish it reported, at the end of a very long scroll (thank you,
gnome-terminal :-)

> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of

with regard to 35 different packages (followed by details for each one)
before ending with

> Errors were encountered while processing: # sorted by me
> brasero
> evince
> file-roller
> gconf2
> gdm3
> gnome-applets
> gnome-bluetooth
> gnome-control-center
> gnome-disk-utility
> gnome-panel
> gnome-power-manager
> gnome-session
> gnome-settings-daemon
> gnome-themes-standard
> gnome-user-share
> gvfs
> gvfs-backends
> gvfs-bin
> libgconf2-4
> libgnome2-common
> murrine-themes
> nautilus
> nautilus-actions
> nautilus-open-terminal
> nautilus-sendto
> nautilus-share
> network-manager
> network-manager-gnome
> network-manager-pptp
> network-manager-pptp-gnome
> rhythmbox
> rhythmbox-plugins
> totem
> totem-mozilla
> totem-plugins
>
> Current status: 29 broken [+29], 1128 updates [-112], 35600 new [-1].

Obviously I'm gonna need network-manager* and gnome* and will very
much want most of the rest. How to fix? Note that, as noted above,
I can (presumably :-) rollback to a working LMDE UP3 if required.

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Wayne Topa 04-16-2012 07:24 PM

[...]

I just looked for lmde in the debian packages and it is not there so---

I am guessing the lmde might be a Linux Mint package. So I would,
respectfully suggest, you try the Linux Mint users list. Mint is based
on debian but is not "Debian".

HTH
Wayne

Archive: 4F8C71EA.7000107@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F8C71EA.7000107@gmail.com

Indulekha 04-16-2012 07:52 PM

how to fix aptitude errors upgrading LMDE UP3 -> UP4

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
> `sudo aptitude update ; sudo aptitude full-upgrade`
>
> aptitude did not die silently! and chugged on until finished. However,
> on finish it reported, at the end of a very long scroll (thank you,
> gnome-terminal :-)
>
>> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
>
> with regard to 35 different packages (followed by details for each one)
> before ending with
>
>> Errors were encountered while processing: # sorted by me
>> brasero
>> evince
>> file-roller
>> gconf2
>> gdm3
>> gnome-applets
>> gnome-bluetooth
>> gnome-control-center
>> gnome-disk-utility
>> gnome-panel
>> gnome-power-manager
>> gnome-session
>> gnome-settings-daemon
>> gnome-themes-standard
>> gnome-user-share
>> gvfs
>> gvfs-backends
>> gvfs-bin
>> libgconf2-4
>> libgnome2-common
>> murrine-themes
>> nautilus
>> nautilus-actions
>> nautilus-open-terminal
>> nautilus-sendto
>> nautilus-share
>> network-manager
>> network-manager-gnome
>> network-manager-pptp
>> network-manager-pptp-gnome
>> rhythmbox
>> rhythmbox-plugins
>> totem
>> totem-mozilla
>> totem-plugins
>>
>> Current status: 29 broken [+29], 1128 updates [-112], 35600 new [-1].
>
> Obviously I'm gonna need network-manager* and gnome* and will very
> much want most of the rest. How to fix? Note that, as noted above,
> I can (presumably :-) rollback to a working LMDE UP3 if required.

Have you tried "apt-get -f install"?
Might do the trick...

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Mika Suomalainen 04-16-2012 09:43 PM

Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/16/2012 02:34 PM, Tom Roche wrote:
>>
>> (Apologies if this is not the correct place to post (is there an
>> apt-user or aptitude-user list?), but it's been helpful in past.)
>>
>> As detailed @
>>
>> http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=99035
>>
>> recently I successfully upgraded a box with Linux Mint Debian Edition
>> Update Pack 3 (with which I've been a happy ubuntu refugee) to the
>> recently-announced LMDE UP4. Saturday (14 Apr 2012) I tried to do
>this
>> on another box (after again doing both a full duplicity backup and a
>> clonezilla). mintupdate (which I launched, as before, from console
>> with `gksudo mintupdate&`) just kept dying, silently, in many
>> different places. I tried again Sunday (15 Apr) night, with same
>> results. Eventually I gave up, and went back to aptitude, launched
>via
>> `sudo aptitude update ; sudo aptitude full-upgrade`
>>
>> aptitude did not die silently! and chugged on until finished.
>However,
>> on finish it reported, at the end of a very long scroll (thank you,
>> gnome-terminal :-)
>>
>>> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
>>
>> with regard to 35 different packages (followed by details for each
>one)
>> before ending with
>>
>>> Errors were encountered while processing: # sorted by me
>>> brasero
>>> evince
>>> file-roller
>>> gconf2
>>> gdm3
>>> gnome-applets
>>> gnome-bluetooth
>>> gnome-control-center
>>> gnome-disk-utility
>>> gnome-panel
>>> gnome-power-manager
>>> gnome-session
>>> gnome-settings-daemon
>>> gnome-themes-standard
>>> gnome-user-share
>>> gvfs
>>> gvfs-backends
>>> gvfs-bin
>>> libgconf2-4
>>> libgnome2-common
>>> murrine-themes
>>> nautilus
>>> nautilus-actions
>>> nautilus-open-terminal
>>> nautilus-sendto
>>> nautilus-share
>>> network-manager
>>> network-manager-gnome
>>> network-manager-pptp
>>> network-manager-pptp-gnome
>>> rhythmbox
>>> rhythmbox-plugins
>>> totem
>>> totem-mozilla
>>> totem-plugins
>>>
>>> Current status: 29 broken [+29], 1128 updates [-112], 35600 new
>[-1].
>>
>> Obviously I'm gonna need network-manager* and gnome* and will very
>> much want most of the rest. How to fix? Note that, as noted above,
>> I can (presumably :-) rollback to a working LMDE UP3 if required.
>>
>> Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche<Tom_Roche@pobox.com>
>>

>I just looked for lmde in the debian packages and it is not there so---
>
>I am guessing the lmde might be a Linux Mint package. So I would,
>respectfully suggest, you try the Linux Mint users list. Mint is based
>
>on debian but is not "Debian".
>
>HTH
>Wayne
>

>--

LMDE can be upgraded as Debian Sid. Some people (like me) have done it successfully.
- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
I apologize for possible "reply all" button usage on mailing list. This client doesn't have "reply list" button and it's hard to remove receivers.
I am sorry for PGP/INLINE usage. This email clint doesn't support PGP/MIME (yet).
Sent from Ciblia (my Samsung Galaxy 5) with K9 Mail.

Tom Roche 04-17-2012 01:26 AM

how to fix aptitude errors upgrading LMDE UP3 -> UP4

Wayne Topa Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:24:26 -0400
>>> I just looked for lmde in the debian packages and it is not there

and it's not in the original post @
either, because LMDE is not a package

>>> I am guessing the lmde might be a Linux Mint package.

You would be wrong. LMDE is a Mint distribution based on, and
completely compatible with, debian. Its packages are pure debian, not
ubuntu or mint.

Indulekha Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:52:34 -0500
>> Have you tried "apt-get -f install"?

No, and using apt-get rather than aptitude was the right idea:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_ cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal
> 2.2.1. apt-get / apt-cache vs. aptitude

> * apt-get is most suitable for the major system upgrade between releases, etc.

So I did

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -f install

which got the packages fixed and installed, as verified by subsequent

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done

and then I was able to reboot and
$ sudo aptitude update
$ sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade

Indulekha 04-17-2012 02:33 AM

Tom Roche wrote:

> Indulekha Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:52:34 -0500
>>> Have you tried "apt-get -f install"?
>
> No, and using apt-get rather than aptitude was the right idea:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_ cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal
>> 2.2.1. apt-get / apt-cache vs. aptitude

>> * apt-get is most suitable for the major system upgrade between releases, etc.
>
> So I did
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> sudo apt-get -f install
>
> which got the packages fixed and installed, as verified by subsequent
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Calculating upgrade... Done
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
> and then I was able to reboot and
> $ sudo aptitude update
> $ sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade
>> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
>> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>
> your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

Glad it worked! It's gotten me out of a few jams...

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Wayne Topa 04-17-2012 02:29 PM

how to fix aptitude errors upgrading LMDE UP3 -> UP4

Wayne Topa Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:24:26 -0400

I just looked for lmde in the debian packages and it is not there

and it's not in the original post @
either, because LMDE is not a package

I am guessing the lmde might be a Linux Mint package.

You would be wrong. LMDE is a Mint distribution based on, and
completely compatible with, debian. Its packages are pure debian, not
ubuntu or mint.

Since when does LMDE UP4 & LMDE UP3 exist in Debian. How would someone
using Debian know that?

I still think it would could be better answered on a LM list.

Sorry I didn't grok your problem from the OP. :-(

WT

Archive: 4F8D7E54.2010504@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F8D7E54.2010504@gmail.com

Tom H 04-17-2012 03:53 PM

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:

> So I did
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> sudo apt-get -f install
>
> which got the packages fixed and installed, as verified by subsequent

In future, you might want to run "sudo apt-get upgrade" before "sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade" to make the upgrade more piecemeal.

Bob Proulx 04-17-2012 07:30 PM

Tom H wrote:
> Tom Roche wrote:
> > So I did
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> > sudo apt-get -f install
> >
> > which got the packages fixed and installed, as verified by subsequent
>
> In future, you might want to run "sudo apt-get upgrade" before "sudo
> apt-get dist-upgrade" to make the upgrade more piecemeal.

+1. Let me strongly encourage this strategy of upgrade first then
dist-upgrade second.

Bob

Andrei POPESCU 04-22-2012 02:07 PM

On Lu, 16 apr 12, 14:34:33, Tom Roche wrote:

> (Apologies if this is not the correct place to post (is there an
> apt-user or aptitude-user list?), but it's been helpful in past.)

This is the correct list for apt-get/aptitude usage in Debian ;)

[snip]

I see that you fixed your problem by using apt-get instead of aptitude,
but I'd like to make a few suggestions for the future:

1. LMDE is *not* Debian:
# mintupdate
-bash: mintupdate: command not found

and there may be other subtle differences that are important

2. If you want help with usage of a specific tool *always* include the
complete output of the commands you ran.

3. aptitude has a very powerful interactive dependency resolver that is
useful for such situations.

Kind regards,
Andrei