-   -   grub failed to boot after upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/656667-grub-failed-boot-after-upgrade.html)

David Roguin 04-16-2012 06:45 PM

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:27:40 -0300
> David Roguin <nesdavid@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Im running wheezy and after a typical dist-upgrade grub doesn't want
>> to boot. It seems that grub can't find the partitions.
>> Anyone else has this same problem?
>> I have dual boot, sharing macosx and debian wheezy and never had this
>> problem before.
>>

> Happens regularly in sid.
>
> Was grub itself updated? A few weeks ago it was updated in sid, and the
> new version was sufficiently different from the previous first-stage
> bootloader that it didn't work. After a grub update, it is necessary
> to do a grub-install to re-write the MBR or partition bootloader.
>
> In January, there were a few kernel upgrades which apparently didn't
> call update-grub, with the same result.
>
> Either way, you boot into your system manually, after trying several
> sets of instructions found on the Net. Once you're there, try
> update-grub, or grub-install if you see there's been a recent grub
> update.
>
> --
> Joe

I'm running testing that's why it seems weird for grub to be broken
after an update. I remember the kernel being updated and I think grub
got upgraded as well (but I'm not 100% sure about it)

I'll try update-grub or grub-install later.
Thanks!

--
David

Ken Wahl 04-17-2012 03:40 AM

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 03:45:43PM -0300, David Roguin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:27:40 -0300
> > David Roguin <nesdavid@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Im running wheezy and after a typical dist-upgrade grub doesn't want
> >> to boot. It seems that grub can't find the partitions.
> >> Anyone else has this same problem?
> >> I have dual boot, sharing macosx and debian wheezy and never had this
> >> problem before.
> >>

> > Happens regularly in sid.
> >
> > Was grub itself updated? A few weeks ago it was updated in sid, and the
> > new version was sufficiently different from the previous first-stage
> > bootloader that it didn't work. After a grub update, it is necessary
> > to do a grub-install to re-write the MBR or partition bootloader.
> >
> > In January, there were a few kernel upgrades which apparently didn't
> > call update-grub, with the same result.
> >
> > Either way, you boot into your system manually, after trying several
> > sets of instructions found on the Net. Once you're there, try
> > update-grub, or grub-install if you see there's been a recent grub
> > update.
> >
> > --
> > Joe
>
> I'm running testing that's why it seems weird for grub to be broken
> after an update. I remember the kernel being updated and I think grub
> got upgraded as well (but I'm not 100% sure about it)
>
> I'll try update-grub or grub-install later.
> Thanks!

Solution for me was to use Super Grub Disk to boot the partition then
run `dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc` and choose to install in MBR (was
installed in partition).

See:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2229

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

--
Ken Wahl

David Roguin 04-17-2012 12:42 PM

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Ken Wahl <kwahl@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 03:45:43PM -0300, David Roguin wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>> > Happens regularly in sid.
>> >
>> > Was grub itself updated? A few weeks ago it was updated in sid, and the
>> > new version was sufficiently different from the previous first-stage
>> > bootloader that it didn't work. After a grub update, it is necessary
>> > to do a grub-install to re-write the MBR or partition bootloader.
>> >
>> > In January, there were a few kernel upgrades which apparently didn't
>> > call update-grub, with the same result.
>> >
>> > Either way, you boot into your system manually, after trying several
>> > sets of instructions found on the Net. Once you're there, try
>> > update-grub, or grub-install if you see there's been a recent grub
>> > update.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Joe
>>
>> I'm running testing that's why it seems weird for grub to be broken
>> after an update. I remember the kernel being updated and I think grub
>> got upgraded as well (but I'm not 100% sure about it)
>>
>> I'll try update-grub or grub-install later.
>> Thanks!
>
> Solution for me was to use Super Grub Disk to boot the partition then
> run `dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc` and choose to install in MBR (was
> installed in partition).
>
> See:
> http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2229

> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
>
> --
> Ken Wahl

I think that bug just got through testing, i was unable to recover
grub, because the grub installed on my system fails to make a correct
image.
But I'm booting my notebook with the iso from www.supergrubdisk.org
(90's style!)

Thanks a lot!