Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Camaleón

Default Icedove setting

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:33:58 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Panayiotis Karabassis
> <panayk@gmail.com> wrote:

>> POP3 (and IMAP) is for receiving, SMTP is for sending. You have a
>> problem when sending. Please make sure the port is 587 or 25. If yes,
>> maybe your ISP is redirecting the connection?

>>> Right now I'm not in front of computer. *Gotta check another time.
>
> I noticed the google use 465 as SMTP port.

Every e-mail provider can use a different combo for authentication/
configuration/port but you have to stick to what Outlook Live service
needs. I mean, what Gmail needs it cannot work for Yahoo! or Hotmail or...

> So I also use 465 for pod51003.outlook.com SMTP port. now it shows me
>
> Sending of message failed.
> The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server
> pod51003.outlook.com timed out. Try again or contact your network
> administrator.
>
> Are there something to do with my local settings.

Let's start from the basics. What are the configuration settings needed
for the Outlook Live service? Have you followed (or is there) any guided
steps?

(searching)

Mmm... I've found this URL:

Set Up Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 for Your E-Mail Account
http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee958689.aspx

SMTP setup starts at point 6, so carefully check all the steps and try
doing the same at your side to configure your MUA.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
lina

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:33:58 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Panayiotis Karabassis
>> <panayk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> POP3 (and IMAP) is for receiving, SMTP is for sending. You have a
>>> problem when sending. Please make sure the port is 587 or 25. If yes,
>>> maybe your ISP is redirecting the connection?

>> I noticed the google use 465 as SMTP port.
>
> Every e-mail provider can use a different combo for authentication/
> configuration/port but you have to stick to what Outlook Live service
> needs. I mean, what Gmail needs it cannot work for Yahoo! or Hotmail or...

Hi,

(Nice seeing your reply, shake hands, virtual though.)

Have you noticed that in icedove --> Edit --> Account Settings

At the bottom of the left column, there is one item calls: Outgoing
Server (SMTP),
click it, there is an option to choose the default outgoing server settings.
I chose google one as default.

>> So I also use 465 for pod51003.outlook.com SMTP port. now it shows me
>>
>> Sending of message failed.
>> The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server
>> pod51003.outlook.com timed out. Try again or contact your network
>> administrator.

I changed different port, it still shows me:
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server
pod51003.outlook.com timed out. Try again or contact your network
administrator.

but no problem in receiving email.

>> Are there something to do with my local settings.
>
> Let's start from the basics. What are the configuration settings needed
> for the Outlook Live service? Have you followed (or is there) any guided
> steps?
>
> (searching)
>
> Mmm... I've found this URL:
>
> Set Up Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 for Your E-Mail Account
> http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee958689.aspx

Yes, I followed exactly with minor tweak in port.

> SMTP setup starts at point 6, so carefully check all the steps and try
> doing the same at your side to configure your MUA.

Seems I do "correctly" in pop3 settings, so server no problem, only port left.

> Greetings,

Thanks, Best wishes,

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:20:32 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> I noticed the google use 465 as SMTP port.
>>
>> Every e-mail provider can use a different combo for authentication/
>> configuration/port but you have to stick to what Outlook Live service
>> needs. I mean, what Gmail needs it cannot work for Yahoo! or Hotmail
>> or...
>
> Hi,
>
> (Nice seeing your reply, shake hands, virtual though.)

:-)

> Have you noticed that in icedove --> Edit --> Account Settings
>
> At the bottom of the left column, there is one item calls: Outgoing
> Server (SMTP),
> click it, there is an option to choose the default outgoing server
> settings. I chose google one as default.

Yes, I know you can have multiple outgoing servers configured (in fact, I
do have a bunch) but there are some e-mail providers that will reject
sending e-mails which don't come from their own address (@example.com)
and you still don't have your Outlook Live setup correctly ;-)

>> Set Up Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 for Your E-Mail Account
>> http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee958689.aspx
>
> Yes, I followed exactly with minor tweak in port.

No "minor tweaks" my lady ;-), you have to configure the smtp server as
they say, which means you have to search for the proper "smtp settings"
as the video at the bottom explains ("How do I find the server
settings?").

If you are convinced you're using the right data for the smtp server and
still getting an error, try to setup the same account from another e-mail
client (better from an outlookized machine to discard a windowsity
anomaly) and see how it goes. Should this neither works, I would contact
the Outlook Live assistance/technical support service and explain your
problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Indulekha

CamaleĂłn <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...but there are some e-mail providers that will reject
> sending e-mails which don't come from their own address (@example.com)
> and you still don't have your Outlook Live setup correctly ;-)

Yes, last time I tried using a gmail server to send mail from a
different account it overwrote my "From:" header, so do watch for
that.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Panayiotis Karabassis

On 04/17/2012 08:05 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:20:32 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)

>>> Every e-mail provider can use a different combo for authentication/
>>> configuration/port but you have to stick to what Outlook Live service
>>> needs. I mean, what Gmail needs it cannot work for Yahoo! or Hotmail
>>> or...
>> Hi,
>>
>> (Nice seeing your reply, shake hands, virtual though.)
> :-)
>
>> Have you noticed that in icedove --> Edit --> Account Settings
>>
>> At the bottom of the left column, there is one item calls: Outgoing
>> Server (SMTP),
>> click it, there is an option to choose the default outgoing server
>> settings. I chose google one as default.
> Yes, I know you can have multiple outgoing servers configured (in fact, I
> do have a bunch) but there are some e-mail providers that will reject
> sending e-mails which don't come from their own address (@example.com)
> and you still don't have your Outlook Live setup correctly ;-)
>
>>> Set Up Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 for Your E-Mail Account
>>> http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee958689.aspx
>> Yes, I followed exactly with minor tweak in port.
> No "minor tweaks" my lady ;-), you have to configure the smtp server as
> they say, which means you have to search for the proper "smtp settings"
> as the video at the bottom explains ("How do I find the server
> settings?").
+1, first follow the instructions precisely, then do any tweaking.