FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Dom
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:
--------------------------------------------------

> ...

[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized
and connected.
[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
-----------------------------------------
As you can see, the Nova-T stick was recognised by the kernel and an IR
Remote Control driver registered. Unfortunately, I have not received a
remote control.

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?


With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device and
mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the
same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device
directly.


I've never used the remote that came with my DVB-T card until this
morning, and I've been using that card happily for over 5 years.



2. What do I have to do to get TV reception?


This is a good question. I use MythTV, which recognises my card (and
should be fine with your stick, as the kernel presents it properly), but
that is a bit over the top for just watching TV.


mplayer supports playing TV from such devices, but I haven't tried this
and don't know how to set up the tuning.



3. Do I have to buy any more hardware? eg, should I buy the device new
so that I get all the relevant h/w?


You shouldn't need any other hardware, although I'd recommend connecting
to a proper antenna, as those little ones don't have good reception.


--
Dom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F8C23E4.2080105@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F8C23E4.2080105@rpdom.net
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Sian Mountbatten
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 14:20, Indulekha wrote:

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:

Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:


--------------8< snip snip>8--------------------


As you can see, the Nova-T stick was recognised by the kernel and an IR
Remote Control driver registered. Unfortunately, I have not received a
remote control.

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?
2. What do I have to do to get TV reception?
3. Do I have to buy any more hardware? eg, should I buy the device
new so that I get all the relevant h/w?

Any help would be appreciated.



I have no experience with the Nova-T, but google found this
on the first try:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-Stick

Yes, I've read that web page, but it does not help me.
I've tried Kaffeine and VLC, but neither of them produces any TV input.
Kaffeine does have the option for digital TV, but I have not been able
to get any TV data.

xbmc does not have any TV input: it does not recognise the Nova-T as
input. Futhermore, I do not understand MythTV setup. I have not been

able to install the mythtv MySQL initial file because I'm denied access
to the MySQL database.

This is all very confusing. In the first instance, I'd simply like to
watch TV on my Linux PC without sophisticated DVR functions. Can anybody
help me?


Regards
--
Sian Mountbatten


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F8C2940.2060508@fastmail.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4F8C2940.2060508@fastmail.co.uk
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Indulekha
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16/04/12 14:20, Indulekha wrote:
>> on the first try:
>>
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-Stick
> Yes, I've read that web page, but it does not help me.
> I've tried Kaffeine and VLC, but neither of them produces any TV input.
> Kaffeine does have the option for digital TV, but I have not been able
> to get any TV data.
>
> xbmc does not have any TV input: it does not recognise the Nova-T as
> input. Futhermore, I do not understand MythTV setup. I have not been
> able to install the mythtv MySQL initial file because I'm denied access
> to the MySQL database.
>
> This is all very confusing. In the first instance, I'd simply like to
> watch TV on my Linux PC without sophisticated DVR functions. Can anybody
> help me?
>

I've heard people say good things about tvtime, which
you can install from the debian repos...
Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable on this issue.
In fact, somewhere around here I have a tv tuner usb
stick (forget which one, but it might be the same one)
which I never really tried to get working. I hooked it up
with winXP for testing purposes once, and quickly realized there's
really nothing on I want to watch, so it just sits here somewhere....
Probably I should give it to someone who will use it.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha


--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120416145910.GA17920@radhesyama">http://lists.debian.org/20120416145910.GA17920@radhesyama
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Sian Mountbatten
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 15:00, Dom wrote:

On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:
--------------------------------------------------

> ...

[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized
and connected.
[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
-----------------------------------------

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?


With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device and
mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the
same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device
directly.


I've tried me-tv, which just hangs, mplayer, which cannot be configured
correctly,

vlc and kaffeine. So far, no joy. No TV at all. What am I doing wrong?


I've never used the remote that came with my DVB-T card until this
morning, and I've been using that card happily for over 5 years.


2. What do I have to do to get TV reception?


This is a good question. I use MythTV, which recognises my card (and
should be fine with your stick, as the kernel presents it properly), but
that is a bit over the top for just watching TV.



3. Do I have to buy any more hardware? eg, should I buy the device new
so that I get all the relevant h/w?


You shouldn't need any other hardware, although I'd recommend connecting
to a proper antenna, as those little ones don't have good reception.

I have removed the mini-antenna and plugged the USB stick into an amplified
indoor aerial. Unfortunately, I have no software which recognises the
device apart from the kernel which loads the proper firmware. Can
anybody give me some simple instructions for getting TV reception? I'm
quite happy using the CLI. What I need is some guide on how to get TV
reception.


Sincerely
--
Sian Mountbatten
Algol 68 specialist


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: jmhcuv$v71$1@speranza.aioe.org">http://lists.debian.org/jmhcuv$v71$1@speranza.aioe.org
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 03:14:24PM +0100, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
>
> xbmc does not have any TV input: it does not recognise the Nova-T as
> input. Futhermore, I do not understand MythTV setup. I have not been
> able to install the mythtv MySQL initial file because I'm denied access
> to the MySQL database.
>
As others have already said, MythTV is overkill for just watching TV,
but:

The MythTV package needs to create a database called "mythconverg". In
order to do that, it needs to know the MySQL root password. It may be
blank by default. If you don't know the password, you can reset it if
you have system root privileges. You'll have to google for that,
because I don't remember how to do it...

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120416153936.GA22387@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20120416153936.GA22387@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:13:36PM +0100, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> On 16/04/12 15:00, Dom wrote:
> >On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> >>Dear All
> >>
> >>This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
> >>the stick
> >>a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
> >>a mini antenna
> >>No instructions of any sort.
> >>
> >>I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
> >>checked dmesg which gave the following:
> >>--------------------------------------------------
> > > ...
> >>[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
> >>[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized
> >>and connected.
> >>[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
> >>-----------------------------------------
> >>
> >>I have a number of questions:-
> >>1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?
> >
> >With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device and
> >mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the
> >same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device
> >directly.
>
> I've tried me-tv, which just hangs, mplayer, which cannot be
> configured correctly,
> vlc and kaffeine. So far, no joy. No TV at all. What am I doing wrong?
>
What device is created for the usb stick? Is it /dev/video0? Check out
the permissions and make sure your user has access to it. Are you a
member of the "video" group?

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120416154122.GB22387@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20120416154122.GB22387@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Sian Mountbatten
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 16:50, Rob Owens wrote:

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:13:36PM +0100, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

On 16/04/12 15:00, Dom wrote:

On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:
--------------------------------------------------
...
[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized
and connected.
[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700
-----------------------------------------

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?


With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device and
mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the
same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device
directly.


Under what circumstances does "1" on my keyboard correspond to "1" on a
remote?



I've tried me-tv, which just hangs, mplayer, which cannot be
configured correctly,
vlc and kaffeine. So far, no joy. No TV at all. What am I doing wrong?


What device is created for the usb stick? Is it /dev/video0? Check out
the permissions and make sure your user has access to it. Are you a
member of the "video" group?


Yes, I am a member of the video group. I've checked /dev and there is no
video0 or any other video device. The kernel does not mention any device.


Regards
--
Sian Mountbatten
Algol 68 specialist


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: jmhfdn$6dj$1@speranza.aioe.org">http://lists.debian.org/jmhfdn$6dj$1@speranza.aioe.org
 
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Dom
 
Default Hauppauge Nova-T USB stick -- now what?

On 16/04/12 16:55, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

On 16/04/12 16:50, Rob Owens wrote:

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:13:36PM +0100, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

On 16/04/12 15:00, Dom wrote:

On 16/04/12 13:02, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

Dear All

This morning I received a second-hand USB stick which consisted of
the stick
a USB extension cable plus USB plug/socket
a mini antenna
No instructions of any sort.

I plugged the USB stick into a USB slot on the front of the
computer and
checked dmesg which gave the following:
--------------------------------------------------
...
[67244.676831] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 50 msecs.
[67244.676835] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully
initialized
and connected.
[67244.676971] usbcore: registered new interface driver
dvb_usb_dib0700
-----------------------------------------

I have a number of questions:-
1. With NO remote control, how do I control the device?


With great easy. The remote control is configured as an input device
and
mapped to predefined key presses - pressing "1" on the remote is the
same as pressing "1" on your keyboard. It doesn't control the device
directly.


Under what circumstances does "1" on my keyboard correspond to "1" on a
remote?


When the remote is treated as an IR keyboard by the driver, which is
either done by the native driver or by the lirc package.


I can start up any app (xterm for example) and press "1" on my remote
and a 1 appears in the app.


Unfortunately I don't have the USB stick that you have, and don't know
which Debian release you're running (I'm on Wheezy/testing), so I can't
test your particular situation.


I have liblircclient0 installed
Description: infra-red remote control support - client library
LIRC stands for 'Linux Infra-red Remote Control'.
.
This package provides a library with functions to support remote
controls via LIRC in programs such as xawtv.

I believe the relevant lines from my dmesg are:
[ 6.509665] IR MCE Keyboard/mouse protocol handler initialized
[ 6.573084] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 251
[

--
Dom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4F8D926D.5040909@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F8D926D.5040909@rpdom.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org