Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM
David Roguin

Default grub failed to boot after updagre

Hi,
Im running wheezy and after a typical dist-upgrade grub doesn't want
to boot. It seems that grub can't find the partitions.
Anyone else has this same problem?
I have dual boot, sharing macosx and debian wheezy and never had this
problem before.

Thanks in advance!

--
David

Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Joe

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:27:40 -0300
David Roguin <nesdavid@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Im running wheezy and after a typical dist-upgrade grub doesn't want
> to boot. It seems that grub can't find the partitions.
> Anyone else has this same problem?
> I have dual boot, sharing macosx and debian wheezy and never had this
> problem before.

Happens regularly in sid.

Was grub itself updated? A few weeks ago it was updated in sid, and the
new version was sufficiently different from the previous first-stage
bootloader that it didn't work. After a grub update, it is necessary
to do a grub-install to re-write the MBR or partition bootloader.

In January, there were a few kernel upgrades which apparently didn't
call update-grub, with the same result.

Either way, you boot into your system manually, after trying several
sets of instructions found on the Net. Once you're there, try
update-grub, or grub-install if you see there's been a recent grub
update.

--
Joe

Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM
David Roguin

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:27:40 -0300

> David Roguin <nesdavid@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Im running wheezy and after a typical dist-upgrade grub doesn't want

>> to boot. It seems that grub can't find the partitions.

>> Anyone else has this same problem?

>> I have dual boot, sharing macosx and debian wheezy and never had this

>> problem before.

> Happens regularly in sid.

> Was grub itself updated? A few weeks ago it was updated in sid, and the

> new version was sufficiently different from the previous first-stage

> bootloader that it didn't work. After a grub update, it is necessary

> to do a grub-install to re-write the MBR or partition bootloader.

> In January, there were a few kernel upgrades which apparently didn't

> call update-grub, with the same result.

> Either way, you boot into your system manually, after trying several

> sets of instructions found on the Net. Once you're there, try

> update-grub, or grub-install if you see there's been a recent grub

> update.

Hi,

There's a recent grub update, from version 1.99-17 to 1.99-21. I've tried to recover the system doing grub-install and grub-update, even though those commands ran successfully grub keeps telling me that it can't find the root partition when trying to boot.

As i'm using a macbookpro I can't install grub on the MBR but grub-install -f /dev/sda4.

Any thoughts?

--

David