-   -   can we boot winxp iso image from grub2 ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/656518-can-we-boot-winxp-iso-image-grub2.html)

"J. Bakshi" 04-16-2012 12:39 PM

can we boot winxp iso image from grub2 ?

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:27:07 +0300
Aleksandar Kostadinov <akostadinov@gmail.com> wrote:

[.....]

> Start freedos and run the windows
> installer off it... not sure what exactly your use case is though.

[...]

I use a usb pendrive to carry all the Linux installer i.e. debian, ubuntu
as well as some useful tool like gparted, then puppy etc.....

Now I like to have the win XP installer image too in that pendrive.
If I can boot freedos via grub then there would not be a problem to
have win XP installer. Has anyone already tried that ?

Thanks

Aleksandar Kostadinov 04-16-2012 12:46 PM

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:27:07 +0300
> Aleksandar Kostadinov <akostadinov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [.....]
>
>> Start freedos and run the windows
>> installer off it... not sure what exactly your use case is though.
>
> [...]
>
> I use a usb pendrive to carry all the Linux installer i.e. debian, ubuntu
> as well as some useful tool like gparted, then puppy etc.....
>
> Now I like to have the win XP installer image too in that pendrive.
> If I can boot freedos via grub then there would not be a problem to
> have win XP installer. Has anyone already tried that ?

You surely can. But you may need another partition to host DOS and
configure grub to run it like you run windows with grub in a
multi-boot setup on HDD.

"J. Bakshi" 04-16-2012 12:55 PM

can we boot winxp iso image from grub2 ?

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:46:38 +0300
Aleksandar Kostadinov <akostadinov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM, J. Bakshi <bakshi12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:27:07 +0300
> > Aleksandar Kostadinov <akostadinov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [.....]
> >
> >> Start freedos and run the windows
> >> installer off it... not sure what exactly your use case is though.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I use a usb pendrive to carry all the Linux installer i.e. debian, ubuntu
> > as well as some useful tool like gparted, then puppy etc.....
> >
> > Now I like to have the win XP installer image too in that pendrive.
> > If I can boot freedos via grub then there would not be a problem to
> > have win XP installer. Has anyone already tried that ?
>
> You surely can. But you may need another partition to host DOS and
> configure grub to run it like you run windows with grub in a
> multi-boot setup on HDD.

Nice to know. But I think I have to extract files from the .iso and
copy those within the DOS partition; unlikely the grub's ability
to boot directly from .iso