Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Joey L

Default error: invalid arch independent elf magic

hi all - i am in big trouble and really need good help.

Something happened to my raid5 array on an ibm x3650 with raid-8k controller.
I am running debian squeeze with grub --- nothing fancy - all my files
are on the root filesystem.

The array was not being recognized by the bios.
So i tried to do a revive - the raid array was rivived and came up
with a status of okay.
I have the grub loader booting now but get the following error:

error: invalid arch independent elf magic

I tried googling it...I am very nervous about what I found to get me
out of this mess.
So i wanted to ask anyone out there --- how do i get out of it..please help.

thanks
mjh

Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:37:49 -0400, Joey L wrote:

> hi all - i am in big trouble and really need good help.
>
> Something happened to my raid5 array on an ibm x3650 with raid-8k
> controller. I am running debian squeeze with grub --- nothing fancy -
> all my files are on the root filesystem.
>
> The array was not being recognized by the bios.

This is a hardware based RAID, right? How is that it was suddenly
"unrecognized"? Or you mean it was degraded or being rebuilt? :-?

> So i tried to do a revive - the raid array was rivived and came up with
> a status of okay.

How did you manage to do that? Rescanning from the BIOS of the RAID card?

> I have the grub loader booting now but get the following error:
>
> error: invalid arch independent elf magic
>
> I tried googling it...I am very nervous about what I found to get me out
> of this mess.
> So i wanted to ask anyone out there --- how do i get out of it..please
> help.

Some questions first:

- GRUB version (2 or legacy)
- BIOS/UEFI?
- Additional OSes / dual booting?

What I'd would try is booting the system by another mean (from a LiveCD,
using SuperGrubDisk...). If you can boot normally, it can be that the
bootloader has been damaged somehow so I would try to reinstall it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón