Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Sean Whalen

Default Nvidia module makes system unstable

Hello All,

I recently made the switch from Kubuntu 11.10 to Debain stable.
Everything was running very well until I installed the Nvidia module
"the Debian way". Then, the system became highly unstable. I noticed
that the system would become very sluggish during simple tasks The
most repeatable example of this is the slow rate at which the
background fades when calling gksu. Additionally, there is a visible
lag in the redrawing of windows when applications are minimized or
restored. interestingly, video from YouTube seemed to be fluid.

The situation was annoying, but not unbearable, until the entire
system began to freeze. It seems that this may be related in some way
to bug #664261. My situation differs in that I used the version from
backports (280.13.really.275.36-1) in order to achieve compatibility
with my GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) GPU, it's worth noting that it
did not experience any stability issues with the Ubuntu distribution
of the Nvidia module 280.13 when I used Kubuntu 11.10.

What should I do at this point? I'm tempted use the Nvidia installer,
but I'm concerned that it might unnecessarily dirty my system. Is it
possible to cleanly switch from the Nvidia installer to the Debian
way?

I'm also not sure whether I should report this as a separate bug, or
as an addition to the one mentioned above. Any thoughts would be
helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Eduardo Bearzoti

Hi Sean,

For the past few days, I've been trying to install Squueze on my PC and have experienced very similar troubles. My card is a GeForce 8400 GS. The screen and the whole system freeze as soon as gdm3 starts. I installed the Nvidia module "the Debian Way", and also (after some reluctance) used the Nvidia installer. For my despair nothing worked. People from this community have suggested that it might be a hardware-related problem, but I am not so sure. The older Debian release lenny worked just fine with this card (I'm using it now, while I don't fix the problem), perhaps due to the non-use of 3D Acceleration. I performed RAM tests, and no errors were reported. I also removed all the expansion boards, cleaned the contacts and carefully re-seated them all.

Of course my situation is a little worse than yours, because, as you said, everything was running well until you installed the Nvidia module. I also tried Ubuntu 11.10, and again the screen freezes as X server is loaded. But, again, I'm not convinced this is a hardware problem.

With regard to your concern about dirtying the system with Nvidia installer, I think it's possible to cleanly switch back to the Debian way. The major modifications that the installer does are:

- it adds the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf, which disables the "nouveau" module, in case you have it installed. Nvidia installer says that you'll (just) have to delete it to re-install nouveau.

- it edits a xorg.config file (with your permission). But you can get a new xorg.config file after installing "the Debian way", by running:
Xorg -configure.

- it requires gcc-4.3, and the newest version available is 4.4. If you will need gcc-4.4, you can easily reverse the situation using apt or aptitude.

A friend of mine that has installed Debian in many PCs at his Department also reported troubles with Nvidia cards more than once. I'm willing to change my video card, because my ideas are running out and I would like to continue using Debian

I wish you luck.

Best regards,
Eduardo.

> I recently made the switch from Kubuntu 11.10 to Debain stable.
> Everything was running very well until I installed the Nvidia module
> "the Debian way". Then, the system became highly unstable. I noticed
> that the system would become very sluggish during simple tasks The
> most repeatable example of this is the slow rate at which the
> background fades when calling gksu. Additionally, there is a visible
> lag in the redrawing of windows when applications are minimized or
> restored. interestingly, video from YouTube seemed to be fluid.
>
> The situation was annoying, but not unbearable, until the entire
> system began to freeze. It seems that this may be related in some way
> to bug #664261. My situation differs in that I used the version from
> backports (280.13.really.275.36-1) in order to achieve compatibility
> with my GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) GPU, it's worth noting that it
> did not experience any stability issues with the Ubuntu distribution
> of the Nvidia module 280.13 when I used Kubuntu 11.10.
>
> What should I do at this point? I'm tempted use the Nvidia installer,
> but I'm concerned that it might unnecessarily dirty my system. Is it
> possible to cleanly switch from the Nvidia installer to the Debian
> way?
>
> I'm also not sure whether I should report this as a separate bug, or
> as an addition to the one mentioned above. Any thoughts would be
> helpful.

The nouveau driver is working well on my machine, maybe you'll
do better to use it too.

--
Indulekha