Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM
songbird

Default gnome panel fonts on startup

what controls the display of the fonts in the gnome-panel
when it first starts up?

i'm running current unstable versions of gnome, gnome-panel,
gnome-shell, up to date on graphics drivers, tried different
kernels, tried creating new user, etc. all same result.

the whole thing is blank other than the letter "m"
(which is the first letter of the user name "me") but
as time goes on the clock gets digits as they change.

if i click the icon space where the accessibility
icon is it will bring up a menu (with many items
missing letters). if i click on the "large text"
item twice (making the text bigger and then smaller
again) then it corrects the problem. the top menu
is then looking right, but if for some reason the
gnome desktop resets (oom killer) or i sign out again
or reboot then it goes back to the blank/missing
letters in the font state until i redouble click the
text size again.

i'm, digging into gnome-panel code now to see if
i can spot the problem, but no luck as of yet.

in reading through bug reports on the gnome site
i see some that sound similar and refer to it being
a graphics driver problem, but that doesn't make
sense to me that a graphics driver would not work for
a font display at first, but then work after i refresh
something via the accessiblity menu...

but then what do i know. thus i ask here.

thanks,

songbird

Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:50:41 -0400, songbird wrote:

> what controls the display of the fonts in the gnome-panel when it first
> starts up?

Well, starting from gnome-shell, "mutter" is the window manager which
relies in "clutter" as the graphical library to draw the GUI.

> i'm running current unstable versions of gnome, gnome-panel,
> gnome-shell, up to date on graphics drivers, tried different kernels,
> tried creating new user, etc. all same result.
>
> the whole thing is blank other than the letter "m"
> (which is the first letter of the user name "me") but as time goes on
> the clock gets digits as they change.

(...)

When that happens, try by restarting gnome-shell (Alt+F2 and type "r"),
I've also experienced the "missing letters" from time to time.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
songbird

Camaleón wrote:
>songbird wrote:

>> what controls the display of the fonts in the gnome-panel when it first
>> starts up?
>
> Well, starting from gnome-shell, "mutter" is the window manager which
> relies in "clutter" as the graphical library to draw the GUI.

ok, thanks for the names. i can look into
getting and looking into them more later this
week or next week.

>> i'm running current unstable versions of gnome, gnome-panel,
>> gnome-shell, up to date on graphics drivers, tried different kernels,
>> tried creating new user, etc. all same result.
>>
>> the whole thing is blank other than the letter "m"
>> (which is the first letter of the user name "me") but as time goes on
>> the clock gets digits as they change.
>
> (...)
>
> When that happens, try by restarting gnome-shell (Alt+F2 and type "r"),
> I've also experienced the "missing letters" from time to time.

this puts me back exactly to the state where the
font letters are missing. like right now i am
typing this in Gnome Terminal 3.4.0.1-1 and gnome-
panel 3.2.1-2+b1 using slrn.

the gnome-panel up above is missing the word
"Activities" completely, to the right a little it
has the icon for the terminal "T m al", the clock
in the center shows "7" and the rightmost part says
"m".

to get it to display correctly i have to again
click the accessibility icon (that is not displayed
until i hover over it) and clicking "L rg T xt" and
then again clicking "Large Text" (to turn it back
to normal font). then all is well again.

if i knew how to automatically include these
steps in the desktop startup i could try that,
but i'm not a gnome wizard.

thanks for your reply,

songbird

Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:51:13 -0400, songbird wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> i'm running current unstable versions of gnome, gnome-panel,
>>> gnome-shell, up to date on graphics drivers, tried different kernels,
>>> tried creating new user, etc. all same result.
>>>
>>> the whole thing is blank other than the letter "m"
>>> (which is the first letter of the user name "me") but as time goes on
>>> the clock gets digits as they change.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> When that happens, try by restarting gnome-shell (Alt+F2 and type "r"),
>> I've also experienced the "missing letters" from time to time.
>
> this puts me back exactly to the state where the
> font letters are missing. like right now i am typing this in Gnome
> Terminal 3.4.0.1-1 and gnome- panel 3.2.1-2+b1 using slrn.

Just as reference, I was pointing to this bug:

But in my case, restarting gnome-shell solves the issue so maybe is that
you're facing a different problem then :-?

> the gnome-panel up above is missing the word
> "Activities" completely, to the right a little it has the icon for the
> terminal "T m al", the clock in the center shows "7" and the rightmost
> part says "m".
>
> to get it to display correctly i have to again
> click the accessibility icon (that is not displayed until i hover over
> it) and clicking "L rg T xt" and then again clicking "Large Text" (to
> turn it back to normal font). then all is well again.

As you're using sid, check for any package update, if any.

What VGA driver are you using? Although you firstly thought there is no
relation between this and your UI problems, true is that there can be :-)
(intel cards use to work smoothly with gnome-shell while ati/nvidia and
the closed source drivers are more problematic, specially for nvidia), so
if you have the chance and aren't afraid of messing up your system you
can try to "swap" the current VGA driver (meaning, if using open source
drivers load the closed one or viceversa).

> if i knew how to automatically include these
> steps in the desktop startup i could try that, but i'm not a gnome
> wizard.

I can't imagine a bypass for this, but you can open a bug report so the
issue can be closely -and properly- tracked.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM
songbird

Camaleón wrote:
> But in my case, restarting gnome-shell solves the issue so maybe is that
> you're facing a different problem then :-?

yes, i'm still digging into it. going to
be delayed for a while now. if i figure it
out i'll post a fix.

>> the gnome-panel up above is missing the word
>> "Activities" completely, to the right a little it has the icon for the
>> terminal "T m al", the clock in the center shows "7" and the rightmost
>> part says "m".
>>
>> to get it to display correctly i have to again
>> click the accessibility icon (that is not displayed until i hover over
>> it) and clicking "L rg T xt" and then again clicking "Large Text" (to
>> turn it back to normal font). then all is well again.
>
> As you're using sid, check for any package update, if any.

everything gnomish, xish, is up to date.

> What VGA driver are you using? Although you firstly thought there is no
> relation between this and your UI problems, true is that there can be :-)
> (intel cards use to work smoothly with gnome-shell while ati/nvidia and
> the closed source drivers are more problematic, specially for nvidia), so
> if you have the chance and aren't afraid of messing up your system you
> can try to "swap" the current VGA driver (meaning, if using open source
> drivers load the closed one or viceversa).

the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2 trying to switch
to intel site downloaded version. too old... skip for now.

>> if i knew how to automatically include these
>> steps in the desktop startup i could try that, but i'm not a gnome
>> wizard.
>
> I can't imagine a bypass for this, but you can open a bug report so the
> issue can be closely -and properly- tracked.

no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
item like this. it mostly works. looking at
bug tracker for both debian and gnome site looks
like they are swamped with reports. sending bug
upstream to be ignored makes more work for
everyone. if i get a patch or fix then i can
at least then file something useful for others
who might have similar problem to find.

was hoping someone who was familiar with gnome
internals could point me to code and i think by
what you've said i may figure something out. i'm
finding places to alter and test the result as
soon as i can get the build environment set up.
i've gone too far ahead for the moment.

thank you for your replies,

songbird

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 01:55:49 -0400, songbird wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> What VGA driver are you using? Although you firstly thought there is no
>> relation between this and your UI problems, true is that there can be
>> :-) (intel cards use to work smoothly with gnome-shell while ati/nvidia
>> and the closed source drivers are more problematic, specially for
>> nvidia), so if you have the chance and aren't afraid of messing up your
>> system you can try to "swap" the current VGA driver (meaning, if using
>> open source drivers load the closed one or viceversa).
>
> the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2 trying to switch
> to intel site downloaded version. too old... skip for now.

The package seems up-to-date.

>>> if i knew how to automatically include these
>>> steps in the desktop startup i could try that, but i'm not a gnome
>>> wizard.
>>
>> I can't imagine a bypass for this, but you can open a bug report so the
>> issue can be closely -and properly- tracked.
>
> no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
> item like this.

You think?

Not seeing the whole text of the menu items does not seem to be a
"cosmetic" problem. Visual impaired people can have lot of difficulties
to click on the right item...

> it mostly works. looking at bug tracker for both
> debian and gnome site looks like they are swamped with reports. sending
> bug upstream to be ignored makes more work for everyone.

You don't have to expect a solution in one day but just reporting what
you are getting. Let devels to categorize the priority of the problem, if
they consider it's irrelevenat or something wrong at your side, they'll
tell.

> if i get a patch or fix then i can at least then file something useful
> for others who might have similar problem to find.

Before you delevop a patch you'll have first to find out where is the
problem (intel xorg driver, gnome-shell, mutter-clutter...) :-)

> was hoping someone who was familiar with gnome
> internals could point me to code and i think by what you've said i may
> figure something out. i'm finding places to alter and test the result
> as soon as i can get the build environment set up. i've gone too far
> ahead for the moment.
>
> thank you for your replies,

You can also ask for feedback at debian gnome devel mailing list (debian-
gtk-gnome), most of the developers/packagers read/post there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 AM
songbird

Camaleón wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>> Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> What VGA driver are you using? Although you firstly thought there is no
>>> relation between this and your UI problems, true is that there can be
>>> :-) (intel cards use to work smoothly with gnome-shell while ati/nvidia
>>> and the closed source drivers are more problematic, specially for
>>> nvidia), so if you have the chance and aren't afraid of messing up your
>>> system you can try to "swap" the current VGA driver (meaning, if using
>>> open source drivers load the closed one or viceversa).
>>
>> the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2 trying to switch
>> to intel site downloaded version. too old... skip for now.
>
> The package seems up-to-date.

*nods*

today there are changes in the sid/testing
repositories for gnome-panel and a few other
things. i'm grabbing those updates now and
hoping this will fix it. we'll see. i'm
going to fall asleep soon.

>>> I can't imagine a bypass for this, but you can open a bug report so the
>>> issue can be closely -and properly- tracked.
>>
>> no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
>> item like this.
>
> You think?
>
> Not seeing the whole text of the menu items does not seem to be a
> "cosmetic" problem. Visual impaired people can have lot of difficulties
> to click on the right item...

i would not encourage anyone with that sort of
trouble to use testing or sid unless they have
someone else around to get them out of jams that
can happen.

>> it mostly works. looking at bug tracker for both
>> debian and gnome site looks like they are swamped with reports. sending
>> bug upstream to be ignored makes more work for everyone.
>
> You don't have to expect a solution in one day but just reporting what
> you are getting. Let devels to categorize the priority of the problem, if
> they consider it's irrelevenat or something wrong at your side, they'll
> tell.

if it is graphics driver problem i expect
no changes unless i find the specific place
and can propose a patch. this is an old machine
and the code isn't being worked on actively any
longer.

>> if i get a patch or fix then i can at least then file something useful
>> for others who might have similar problem to find.
>
> Before you delevop a patch you'll have first to find out where is the
> problem (intel xorg driver, gnome-shell, mutter-clutter...) :-)

yes, the joy of learning. i'm having a lot of
fun lately. puzzles for rainy days. if these
updates for gnome-panel don't work then i will
take another look at the problem in a day or two.

trying to wrap up other another project first.

>> was hoping someone who was familiar with gnome
>> internals could point me to code and i think by what you've said i may
>> figure something out. i'm finding places to alter and test the result
>> as soon as i can get the build environment set up. i've gone too far
>> ahead for the moment.
>>
>> thank you for your replies,
>
> You can also ask for feedback at debian gnome devel mailing list (debian-
> gtk-gnome), most of the developers/packagers read/post there.

eventually i may, yet i doubt this is a problem
with debian packaging.

songbird

Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 05:31:14 -0400, songbird wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2 trying to switch
>>> to intel site downloaded version. too old... skip for now.
>>
>> The package seems up-to-date.
>
> *nods*
>
> today there are changes in the sid/testing
> repositories for gnome-panel and a few other things. i'm grabbing those
> updates now and hoping this will fix it. we'll see. i'm going to fall
> asleep soon.

Now you say... have you tested with another (fresh-new created) user?
Just to discard something messed inside your current GNOME user profile.

>>> no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
>>> item like this.
>>
>> You think?
>>
>> Not seeing the whole text of the menu items does not seem to be a
>> "cosmetic" problem. Visual impaired people can have lot of difficulties
>> to click on the right item...
>
> i would not encourage anyone with that sort of
> trouble to use testing or sid unless they have someone else around to
> get them out of jams that can happen.

Sure, but for that same reason users use sid: they are the "brave
knights" who experience with the most annoying and weird bugs to avoid
the mere mortals have to deal with the problems afterwards O:-)

>> You don't have to expect a solution in one day but just reporting what
>> you are getting. Let devels to categorize the priority of the problem,
>> if they consider it's irrelevenat or something wrong at your side,
>> they'll tell.
>
> if it is graphics driver problem i expect
> no changes unless i find the specific place and can propose a patch.
> this is an old machine and the code isn't being worked on actively any
> longer.

Why not? If you find a problem with intel's VGA driver, being open source
it can be easily solved.

>>> if i get a patch or fix then i can at least then file something useful
>>> for others who might have similar problem to find.
>>
>> Before you delevop a patch you'll have first to find out where is the
>> problem (intel xorg driver, gnome-shell, mutter-clutter...) :-)
>
> yes, the joy of learning. i'm having a lot of
> fun lately. puzzles for rainy days. if these updates for gnome-panel
> don't work then i will take another look at the problem in a day or two.

Let the updates do their work :-)

>> You can also ask for feedback at debian gnome devel mailing list
>> (debian- gtk-gnome), most of the developers/packagers read/post there.
>
> eventually i may, yet i doubt this is a problem
> with debian packaging.

It hasn't to be. You're only asking, not reporting an error but those
sort of problems are usually easy identified by people in the know who
have to work/deal with these issues almost every day :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 AM
songbird

Camaleón wrote:
> Let the updates do their work :-)

thanks, but no change in the situation with
latest updates.

and yes, i have tried setting up new user
before and then i did again today to make sure
and the problem remains.

my guess is that you are right in that it
is probably graphics driver. i'll look into
that next.

sorry for being short, this is a quick
update.

songbird