Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Thilo Six

Default Boot messages getting cleared

Hello

since the upgrade to wheezy i have a problem with the messages that are shown
during boot. Currently during boot messages are shown as usual on vt1 but then
at some point late in the boot process these messages are cleared and then only
the login prompt is shown on vt1 just like on vt2.
I would like to have these messages on vt1 still as privously. It seems i use
the wrong search terms on google as nothing seems to show up. I tried to track
down the files in '/etc/init.d/' also kdms configuration. I have a little
suspicion that consolekit is the culprint but have no clue where and how to
change that. It would be kind if somebody could gave me some pointers in the
right direction.

Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F

Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:48:21 +0200, Thilo Six wrote:

> since the upgrade to wheezy i have a problem with the messages that are
> shown during boot. Currently during boot messages are shown as usual on
> vt1 but then at some point late in the boot process these messages are
> cleared and then only the login prompt is shown on vt1 just like on vt2.
> I would like to have these messages on vt1 still as privously.

(...)

IIRC, this came indeed from "utils-linux" package, it was mentioned some
time ago in this same mailing list but I can't recall what was needed to
do to restore the old behaviour.

It was getty (or agtetty?) which by default now clears the screen, but
there must be an option that does the opposite. "man getty" tells about
the "--noclear" parameter so I think it has to be placed in "/etc/
inittab" file:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Wayne Topa

since the upgrade to wheezy i have a problem with the messages that are shown
during boot. Currently during boot messages are shown as usual on vt1 but then
at some point late in the boot process these messages are cleared and then only
the login prompt is shown on vt1 just like on vt2.
I would like to have these messages on vt1 still as privously. It seems i use
the wrong search terms on google as nothing seems to show up. I tried to track
down the files in '/etc/init.d/' also kdms configuration. I have a little
suspicion that consolekit is the culprint but have no clue where and how to
change that. It would be kind if somebody could gave me some pointers in the
right direction.

Are you missing the bootlogd package, maybe?

Description-en: daemon to log boot messages
bootlogd logs all messages printed to the system console during
system boot, and records those messages to a logfile.

HTH

Wayne

Archive: 4F8B41F4.1070709@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F8B41F4.1070709@gmail.com

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Thilo Six

Hello Camaleón,

Excerpt from Camaleón:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:48:21 +0200, Thilo Six wrote:
-- <snip> --
> the "--noclear" parameter so I think it has to be placed in "/etc/
> inittab" file:
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1

Excellent. Thats it. Apparently i did look into '/etc/inittab' without knowing
that this new parameter exists. The default '/usr/share/sysvinit/inittab' is
laking it, too. I created this bugreport for it:
http://bugs.debian.org/669049

Hope this helps someone.

> Greetings,

Thilo