Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Arthur Marsh

Default difficult to isolate problem - browser access to router has problems on on machine but not other

Hi, I've tried to run through all I can think of and am getting a bit stuck.

I have two machines running Debian (one a dual-core Pentium4 with i386,
the other a quad-core AMD64-X2 with amd64), both with built-in ethernet
cards.

The Pentium4 machine can access the browser interface of the adsl router
I use with no problems.

The AMD64 machine has recently taken to stalling after entering the
username and password for the adsl router's browser interface, and I've
tried downgrading recent package upgrades, and different kernels and
browsers without success.

However, the AMD64 machine booted with the sysrescuecd can access the
browser interface of the adsl router without problems.

The AMD64 machine has a built-in Realtek 8169 NIC.

debsums has so far been inconclusive at pointing to any corrupted files.

I've also swapped ports that the pc's use on the router without any
noticeable change, and have powered-down both the pc and router
completely to eliminate issues caused by power glitches.

Are there any browsers on Debian that support javascript without having
to run under the X window system?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Archive: fntp59-dj5.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/fntp59-dj5.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net

Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Indulekha

Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:

> Are there any browsers on Debian that support javascript without having
> to run under the X window system?

It does sound like a browser issue.
lynx is pretty good at js.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Camalen

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:30:14 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Hi, I've tried to run through all I can think of and am getting a bit
> stuck.
>
> I have two machines running Debian (one a dual-core Pentium4 with i386,
> the other a quad-core AMD64-X2 with amd64), both with built-in ethernet
> cards.
>
> The Pentium4 machine can access the browser interface of the adsl router
> I use with no problems.
>
> The AMD64 machine has recently taken to stalling after entering the
> username and password for the adsl router's browser interface, and I've
> tried downgrading recent package upgrades, and different kernels and
> browsers without success.

Are you accessing to the router web interface using the same browser from
both machines? What's the browser that gets stuck after the login screen?

> However, the AMD64 machine booted with the sysrescuecd can access the
> browser interface of the adsl router without problems.

So one problem less: no hardware error on the amd64 computer.

> The AMD64 machine has a built-in Realtek 8169 NIC.
>
> debsums has so far been inconclusive at pointing to any corrupted files.
>
> I've also swapped ports that the pc's use on the router without any
> noticeable change, and have powered-down both the pc and router
> completely to eliminate issues caused by power glitches.
>
> Are there any browsers on Debian that support javascript without having
> to run under the X window system?

Firefox/Iceweasel require an X server to be installed (not in full, just
the minimal package) but not necessarily a running DE.

> Any other suggestions welcome.

Well, you can check if the router provides a telnet/ssh access
alternative and manage it from there. I find CLI modes of these devices
are most stable and reliable than their web interface.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:43:34 -0500
Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:

> Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:
> >
> > Are there any browsers on Debian that support javascript without having
> > to run under the X window system?
> >

> It does sound like a browser issue.
> lynx is pretty good at js.

lynx supports Javascript? I've long been under the impression that it
does not, although I can't currently find an authoritative reference
one way or another. [The Lynx Wikipedia page claims that it does not,
but the citation is to a TechRepublic article which does not actually
state that.]

Celejar

Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Indulekha

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:43:34 -0500
> Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Are there any browsers on Debian that support javascript without having
>> > to run under the X window system?
>> >

>> It does sound like a browser issue.
>> lynx is pretty good at js.
>
> lynx supports Javascript? I've long been under the impression that it
> does not, although I can't currently find an authoritative reference
> one way or another. [The Lynx Wikipedia page claims that it does not,
> but the citation is to a TechRepublic article which does not actually
> state that.]

Sorry, "links" not "lynx". Also elinks.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:47:23 -0500
Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:43:34 -0500

> >> It does sound like a browser issue.
> >> lynx is pretty good at js.
> >
> > lynx supports Javascript? I've long been under the impression that it
> > does not, although I can't currently find an authoritative reference
> > one way or another. [The Lynx Wikipedia page claims that it does not,
> > but the citation is to a TechRepublic article which does not actually
> > state that.]
> >

> Sorry, "links" not "lynx". Also elinks.

I don't know about links, but links2 has removed Javascript support
several years ago, as we've discussed many times on this list:

Celejar

Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 4/14/2012 11:00 PM, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Hi, I've tried to run through all I can think of and am getting a bit
> stuck.
>
> I have two machines running Debian (one a dual-core Pentium4 with i386,
> the other a quad-core AMD64-X2 with amd64), both with built-in ethernet
> cards.
>
> The Pentium4 machine can access the browser interface of the adsl router
> I use with no problems.
>
> The AMD64 machine has recently taken to stalling after entering the
> username and password for the adsl router's browser interface, and I've
> tried downgrading recent package upgrades, and different kernels and
> browsers without success.
>
> However, the AMD64 machine booted with the sysrescuecd can access the
> browser interface of the adsl router without problems.
>
> The AMD64 machine has a built-in Realtek 8169 NIC.
>
> debsums has so far been inconclusive at pointing to any corrupted files.
>
> I've also swapped ports that the pc's use on the router without any
> noticeable change, and have powered-down both the pc and router
> completely to eliminate issues caused by power glitches.
>
> Are there any browsers on Debian that support javascript without having
> to run under the X window system?
>
> Any other suggestions welcome.

Read the docs and everything you find online for that make/model of ADSL
router. What you're looking for specifically is whether it is designed
to use an "admin PC". Some of these consumer routers force you to enter
an IP address of only one machine that can log into the admin interface.
Others simply store a cookie on the first machine you log in with then
deny access from any machine without that cookie. There are probably
other variations on this theme as well.

Given what you describe, I'd be 99% sure something like this is what
you're up against. Clear the cookies cache on both machines, then try
the "problem machine" first. In addition to reading all docs you can find.

--
Stan

Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Arthur Marsh

Hi, I've tried to run through all I can think of and am getting a bit
stuck.

I have two machines running Debian (one a dual-core Pentium4 with i386,
the other a quad-core AMD64-X2 with amd64), both with built-in ethernet
cards.

The Pentium4 machine can access the browser interface of the adsl router
I use with no problems.

The AMD64 machine has recently taken to stalling after entering the
username and password for the adsl router's browser interface, and I've
tried downgrading recent package upgrades, and different kernels and
browsers without success.

Are you accessing to the router web interface using the same browser from
both machines? What's the browser that gets stuck after the login screen?

Yes, gtklauncher from libwebkit on each machine.

I've saved wireshark traces from both machines.

Well, you can check if the router provides a telnet/ssh access
alternative and manage it from there. I find CLI modes of these devices
are most stable and reliable than their web interface.

It does have a telnet interface, but that interface doesn't offer any
management capabilities.

Arthur.

Archive: 79tr59-lih.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/79tr59-lih.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Arthur Marsh

[...]

Interesting suggestion, but given that the AMD64 machine can still
access the router's web interface without problem when booted from
sysrescuecd, I'm not sure that this is the case.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Arthur.

Archive: gjtr59-n2i.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net">http://lists.debian.org/gjtr59-n2i.ln1@ppp14-2-48-242.lns21.adl2.internode.on.net

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Camalen

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:34:55 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Camalen wrote, on 15/04/12 23:43:

(...)

>> Are you accessing to the router web interface using the same browser
>> from both machines? What's the browser that gets stuck after the login
>> screen?
>
> Yes, gtklauncher from libwebkit on each machine.

Mmm, I don't know the capabilities of "gtklauncher" but if it works on
one computer it should also work in the other.

Are there any differences between both computer environments (e.g., same
package version of "libwebkit"?). Also, 32 and 64 bits package versions
can make a difference so to discard any bug or incompatibility problem
with "gtklauncher" I would try with a different browser.

> I've saved wireshark traces from both machines.

As it gets stuck after login, more than a connectivity issue I would go
for a management issue, I mean, the browser cannot handle the client
request and this can be caused by many sources (bad web interface
programming, cookies, javascript error...).

>> Well, you can check if the router provides a telnet/ssh access
>> alternative and manage it from there. I find CLI modes of these devices
>> are most stable and reliable than their web interface.
>
> It does have a telnet interface, but that interface doesn't offer any
> management capabilities.

In my experience, it uses to be the opposite: while CLI provides all of
the settings that can be tweaked, the web GUI only gives the user the
possibility to configure the basics and hides the rest :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen