-   -   Question to aptitude (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/656055-question-aptitude.html)

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 04-14-2012 07:36 PM

Question to aptitude

Hi list!

I have just a little question to aptitude, and I think, it can be easily
answered.

The Problem: With the command "apt-get --purge remove 3.0.1-*" I can uninstall
all packages containing 3.0.1-something. I use this for installing older
kernels and headers as well as selfbuild kernel modules.

This works very well!

But how can I do the same with aptitude? I suppose, aptitude is using regexp,
but I am noz sure. And I am not well experienced with regexp. Is aptitude
using regexp???

Any hints are welcome.

Best regards

Hans

P.S.
If this is not the right place for asking such questions, please apologize and
point me to the correct place.

Jörg-Volker Peetz 04-14-2012 10:21 PM

Question to aptitude

The according aptitude command is, e.g.,

aptitude purge '~i3.0.1-.*'

if I'm not mistaken. '~i' searches only through installed packages.

--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Andrei POPESCU 04-22-2012 01:34 PM

Question to aptitude

On Du, 15 apr 12, 00:21:49, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> The according aptitude command is, e.g.,
>
> aptitude purge '~i3.0.1-.*'
>
> if I'm not mistaken. '~i' searches only through installed packages.

To further elaborate on this, aptitude tries to apply the operation
('purge') to the entire set of packages returned by the pattern (while
apt-get does not), so you have to restrict the results to a set of
packages that makes sense for the operation to be performed.

One can test patterns with 'search' and then just change the operation
when the results are as expected.

For your specific needs have a look also at the ~o pattern, it might
already do what you want.

Kind regards,
Andrei