Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
"Roman V.Leon."

Default problems with wifi bc43

Hello Gents,
Could you help me with my wifi card in laptop, please? I have broadcom
BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY controller, and I installed
"firmware-b43-lpphy-installer". Unfortunately when i'm trying turn my card
on, i'm getting a message:
"$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" ----> "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due
to RF-kill"
I dig google, but unfortunately I didn't find any helpful receipt to
manage this card work.

Just in case - rfkill's output:
$ sudo rfkill list
0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

I cracked my head, but i don't know how to deal with this issue.
Thanks in advance.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Mat Enders

2012/4/14 Roman V.Leon. <roman-vl@meta.ua>:
> Hello Gents,
> Could you help me with my wifi card in laptop, please? I have broadcom
> BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY controller, and I installed
> "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer". Unfortunately when i'm trying turn my card
> on, i'm getting a message:
> "$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" ----> "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due
> to RF-kill"
> I dig google, but unfortunately I didn't find any helpful receipt to
> manage this card work.
>
> Just in case - rfkill's output:
> $ sudo rfkill list
> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
> * * * *Soft blocked: no
> * * * *Hard blocked: no
> 1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
> * * * *Soft blocked: no
> * * * *Hard blocked: yes
> 2: phy0: Wireless LAN
> * * * *Soft blocked: no
> * * * *Hard blocked: yes
>
> I cracked my head, but i don't know how to deal with this issue.
> Thanks in advance.

The ones that say Hard Blocked mean that either a physical hardware
switch is turned off or it is disabled in the bios.

--
Mathew E. Enders

"Where once Samba and Apache sold Linux to the world they are now just
part of the plumbing. *But that's OK, plumbers make good money."
--Jeremy Allison

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM
"Roman V.Leon."

> 2012/4/14 Roman V.Leon. :
>> Hello Gents,
>> Could you help me with my wifi card in laptop, please? I have broadcom
>> BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY controller, and I installed
>> "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer". Unfortunately when i'm trying turn my card
>> on, i'm getting a message:
>> "$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" ----> "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due
>> to RF-kill"
>> I dig google, but unfortunately I didn't find any helpful receipt to
>> manage this card work.
>>
>> Just in case - rfkill's output:
>> $ sudo rfkill list
>> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>> * * * *Soft blocked: no
>> * * * *Hard blocked: no
>> 1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
>> * * * *Soft blocked: no
>> * * * *Hard blocked: yes
>> 2: phy0: Wireless LAN
>> * * * *Soft blocked: no
>> * * * *Hard blocked: yes
>>
>> I cracked my head, but i don't know how to deal with this issue.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> The ones that say Hard Blocked mean that either a physical hardware
> switch is turned off or it is disabled in the bios.
>
> --
> Mathew E. Enders
>
> "Where once Samba and Apache sold Linux to the world they are now just
> part of the plumbing. *But that's OK, plumbers make good money."
> --Jeremy Allison

Mathew, all, i have found the source of the problem:
If i plug a cable into my wired NIC, my wireless card will be blocked.
That's how it works, i have never seen such things before, and i can't
find special BIOS option to change this strange behavior. Laptop model is
HP 625. I think this can be marked as "resolved" :-)

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:07:24 +0300, Roman V.Leon. wrote:

> Could you help me with my wifi card in laptop, please? I have broadcom
> BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY controller, and I installed
> "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer". Unfortunately when i'm trying turn my
> card on, i'm getting a message:
> "$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" ----> "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible
> due to RF-kill"
> I dig google, but unfortunately I didn't find any helpful receipt to
> manage this card work.
>
> Just in case - rfkill's output:
> $ sudo rfkill list
> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: no
> 1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: yes
> 2: phy0: Wireless LAN
> Soft blocked: no
> Hard blocked: yes
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above seems to be what triggers the warning.

> I cracked my head, but i don't know how to deal with this issue. Thanks
> in advance.

What Debian version? Squeeze, Wheezy...?

You can try by unloading "rfkill" module (if no other modules in use
depen on it)... "lsmod | grep rfkill" will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-15-2012, 04:30 PM
"Roman V.Leon."

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:07:24 +0300, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
>
>> Could you help me with my wifi card in laptop, please? I have broadcom
>> BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY controller, and I installed
>> "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer". Unfortunately when i'm trying turn my
>> card on, i'm getting a message:
>> "$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" ----> "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible
>> due to RF-kill"
>> I dig google, but unfortunately I didn't find any helpful receipt to
>> manage this card work.
>>
>> Just in case - rfkill's output:
>> $ sudo rfkill list
>> 0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
>> Soft blocked: no
>> Hard blocked: no
>> 1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
>> Soft blocked: no
>> Hard blocked: yes
>> 2: phy0: Wireless LAN
>> Soft blocked: no
>> Hard blocked: yes
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The above seems to be what triggers the warning.
>
>> I cracked my head, but i don't know how to deal with this issue. Thanks
>> in advance.
>
> What Debian version? Squeeze, Wheezy...?
>
> You can try by unloading "rfkill" module (if no other modules in use
> depen on it)... "lsmod | grep rfkill" will tell.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks Camaleón, i have found a solution, when i plug a cable into my
wired NIC, my wireless card become blocked. I realized it when i had
rebooted into my second OS - Archlinux where this card always work without
any problems. My Laptop model is HP 625, so be informed that sometimes
such strange things might happen ;-)

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 19:30:50 +0300, Roman V.Leon. wrote:

(...)

>>> 2: phy0: Wireless LAN
>>> Soft blocked: no
>>> Hard blocked: yes
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> The above seems to be what triggers the warning.
>>
>>> I cracked my head, but i don't know how to deal with this issue.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> What Debian version? Squeeze, Wheezy...?
>>
>> You can try by unloading "rfkill" module (if no other modules in use
>> depen on it)... "lsmod | grep rfkill" will tell.
>>

> Thanks Camaleón, i have found a solution,

Yup, sorry, I noticed (too late) that you discovered a hint on what was
happening in another post which got unthreaded and I did not see.

> when i plug a cable into my wired NIC, my wireless card become blocked.
> I realized it when i had rebooted into my second OS - Archlinux where
> this card always work without any problems. My Laptop model is HP 625,
> so be informed that sometimes such strange things might happen ;-)

Yes, it's weird, indeed.

Maybe you can look at dmesg or syslog messages when you plug the network
cable to get an idea about this. I also own an HP/Compaq netbook and both
modules ("rfkill" and "hp_wmi") seem to be linked with the status of the
wireless soft/hard block.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón