Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Haines Brown

Default missing codecs.conf

I installed and have been using mplayer succcessfully, but decided I'd
like to be able to run DVDs, and so now installed the win32codecs
package. I was able to play one DVD, which is a copy of an old silent
film, but when I try a new DVD, I get:

libavformat file format detected.
LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed

Exiting... (End of file)

So I did

$ mplayer -v
MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.2-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
get_path('codecs.conf') -> '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf'
Reading /home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf:
Can't open '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf':
No such file or directory
Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open
'/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Using built-in default codecs.conf.

It turned out I have no codecs.conf file in either /etc/mplayer/ or in
~/.mplayer/ . Shouldn't mplayer have created the file? I was unable to
locate any instance of codecs.conf.

Should I have uninstalled mplayer and then reinstalled it after
installing win32codecs?

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Haines Brown wrote:
> I installed and have been using mplayer succcessfully, but decided I'd
> like to be able to run DVDs, and so now installed the win32codecs
> package. I was able to play one DVD, which is a copy of an old silent
> film, but when I try a new DVD, I get:
>
> libavformat file format detected.
> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>
> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> So I did
>
> $ mplayer -v
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.2-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> get_path('codecs.conf') -> '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf'
> Reading /home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf:
> Can't open '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf':
> No such file or directory
> Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open
> '/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
> Using built-in default codecs.conf.
>
> It turned out I have no codecs.conf file in either /etc/mplayer/ or in
> ~/.mplayer/ . Shouldn't mplayer have created the file? I was unable to
> locate any instance of codecs.conf.
>
> Should I have uninstalled mplayer and then reinstalled it after
> installing win32codecs

You do not need win32codecs to play DVDs. Also, I don't really think
codecs.conf is necessary.

Perhaps you need the libdvdcss2 library to decrypt encrypted DVDs.
Debian does not carry it, but you can get it from
www.debian-multimedia.org . I don't know if the standard Debian version
of mplayer can use it even if it is installed by the user, but you'd
probably be better off using the mplayer from debian-multimedia anyway.

--
I love ROCK 'N ROLL! I memorized the all WORDS to "WIPE-OUT" in
1965!!

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@gmail.com
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Bob Cox

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:07:57 -0400, Haines Brown (brownh@hartford-hwp.com) wrote:

> I installed and have been using mplayer succcessfully, but decided I'd
> like to be able to run DVDs, and so now installed the win32codecs
> package. I was able to play one DVD, which is a copy of an old silent
> film, but when I try a new DVD, I get:
>
> libavformat file format detected.
> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>
> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> So I did
>
> $ mplayer -v
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.2-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> get_path('codecs.conf') -> '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf'
> Reading /home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf:
> Can't open '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf':
> No such file or directory
> Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open
> '/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
> Using built-in default codecs.conf.
>
> It turned out I have no codecs.conf file in either /etc/mplayer/ or in
> ~/.mplayer/ . Shouldn't mplayer have created the file? I was unable to
> locate any instance of codecs.conf.
>
> Should I have uninstalled mplayer and then reinstalled it after
> installing win32codecs?

I don't think you need those codecs to play DVDs, but you might find
that kaffeine or the totem movie player (both use xine I believe) 'just
work'.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Haines Brown

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin@gmail.com> writes:

> Haines Brown wrote:

> libavformat file format detected.
>> LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
>>
>> Exiting... (End of file)
>>
>> So I did
>>
>> $ mplayer -v
>> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.2-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
>> get_path('codecs.conf') -> '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf'
>> Reading /home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf:
>> Can't open '/home/brownh/.mplayer/codecs.conf':
>> No such file or directory
>> Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open
>> '/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
>> Using built-in default codecs.conf.
> You do not need win32codecs to play DVDs. Also, I don't really think
> codecs.conf is necessary.
>
> Perhaps you need the libdvdcss2 library to decrypt encrypted DVDs.
> Debian does not carry it, but you can get it from
> www.debian-multimedia.org . I don't know if the standard Debian version
> of mplayer can use it even if it is installed by the user, but you'd
> probably be better off using the mplayer from debian-multimedia anyway.

Eduardo, I installed the libdvdcss2, but it didn't help. I looked for
the debian mplayer you suggested, but debian-multimedia.org seems to
simply point me back to the debian apt repositories.
--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
steef

Haines Brown wrote:

[...]

hi,

you could consider to build mplayer from the source-code from *their*
site after googling for- and installing the mplayer-codecs in
/usr/lib/win32. it is not too complicated to compile and build: if you
consider this as a serious option: start with --configure --enable-gui,
to be able o build the user-interface. i use mplayer mostly from the
commandline.

regards,

steef

--
drs. steef van duin

publicist, research-journalist

Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
steef

Haines Brown wrote:

[...]

sorry: i forgot one thing: with fakeroot you can build easily a debian
package yourself, from the mplayer tarball.

regards,

steef

Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Martin Kraus

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 05:31:04PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Martin, you have to realize that I've never even tried to play a DVD
> before, and so I'm at a loss. What are the vobs? I just did $ mplayer
> /dev/hdc and the old DVD played. No idea what "dvd://" is
> either. Looks like a URI.

the correct way(from a command line) to play dvds is:

mplayer dvd://

or

mplayer dvd://n

where n is a dvd title.

vobs are containers, that actually hold the mpeg2(dvd video codec). you get to
look at them when you mount a dvd. you can play those too, but the dvd is
usually encrypted and you have to decrypt the title first. this is done
automatically by libdvdread and libdvdcss (which is usually compiled into mplayer) when
using the "mplayer dvd://" format. so the correct way to play dvds is way.

mpeg2 and ac3 codecs(video and audio for dvds) is contained in ffmpeg codec
package(libavc) which is included with mplayer, so you do not need any win32 codecs.
actually, you don't need those codecs for normal use. most of the codecs you
will ever encounter are in the ffmpeg package.

> > uninstalling won't help you. if you want a fully functional mplayer, use svn
> > version and compile it. of use vlc. it supports dvd menus, unlike mplayer. not
> > that there is any need of them.
>
> Do I understand you correctly that mplayer is more limited, and I'd
> have better luck if I installed vlc?

the mplayer development is very fast. they release versions once a year or so
but the svn version is constantly under development with new features and bugfixes.
the mplayer gui doesn't keep up with mplayer features, because most of the
users use it from the command line.

I've found that new users are more comfortable with vlc and its gui. It also
understands dvd menus so you don't have to play around in cli and workout what
dvd title you actually want to play. I'm used to this but many people aren't.
And since vlc is based on ffmpeg codecs package as well you get virtualy the
same playing capabilities as mplayer has.

mk

Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Haines Brown

Martin,

I want to thank you for your explanation. DVD playing is something I've
never even thought about.

> ... the dvd is usually encrypted and you have to decrypt the title
> first. this is done automatically by libdvdread and libdvdcss (which
> is usually compiled into mplayer) when using the "mplayer dvd://"
> format. so the correct way to play dvds is way.
>
> mpeg2 and ac3 codecs(video and audio for dvds) is contained in ffmpeg
> codec package(libavc) which is included with mplayer

If I understand you correctly, mplayer is entirely self contained, and
when the package is installed it brings in everying needed to play DVDs.

> ... the mplayer development is very fast. they release versions once a
> year or so but the svn version is constantly under development with
> new features and bugfixes.

The mplayer I have installed is:

mplayer/etch upgradeable from 1.0~rc1-12etch1 to
1:1.0-rc1svn20070225-0.3etch1

In my sources.list:
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

$ aptitude upgrade mplayer-1:1.0-rclsvn20070225-0.3etch1
mplayer
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not
upgraded.

So, I should be able to pass an empty URI to the mplayer command and it
automatically looks for a title to unencrypt from whichever DVD drive
happens to be mounted.

I was able to find my problem. In /dev, there is a symlink from
/dev/dvd3 to hdc, but the defalt mplayer configuration looks for
/dev/dvd. I put a line in ~/.mplayer/config that points instead to dvd3,
and it now works.

Thanks for your patience.
--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Martin Kraus

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:45:53AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, mplayer is entirely self contained, and
> when the package is installed it brings in everying needed to play DVDs.

i've acctually never used mplayer from debian repos. mplayer automaticaly
depends on libraries it needs. however i think that debian cannot include
win32 codecs and libdvdcss because of patents or something like this. so it
may have problem cracking the dvd titles.

> So, I should be able to pass an empty URI to the mplayer command and it
> automatically looks for a title to unencrypt from whichever DVD drive
> happens to be mounted.

you don't have to mount the device. mplayer(to be correct libdvdread) accesses
dvd as device in /dev/dvd(or anything specified using -dvd-device) because it
needs access to the specified sectors, not just a filesystem, which you get,
when you mount it.

mk

Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 04:47:51PM +0100, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:07:57 -0400, Haines Brown (brownh@hartford-hwp.com) wrote:

> > It turned out I have no codecs.conf file in either /etc/mplayer/ or in
> > ~/.mplayer/ . Shouldn't mplayer have created the file? I was unable to
> > locate any instance of codecs.conf.
> >
> > Should I have uninstalled mplayer and then reinstalled it after
> > installing win32codecs?
>
> I don't think you need those codecs to play DVDs, but you might find
> that kaffeine or the totem movie player (both use xine I believe) 'just
> work'.

I use vlc and it just works.

Since some libs (dvdlibwhatever) are in debian-multimedia but they can't
be listed as dependancies, they are listed as recommends.

Add debian-multimedia.org to your sources.list, update, install the d-m
keyring package and update again, then browse aptitude to vlc (or
whatever) and see what is now recommended.

Doug.