Old 04-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Andreas Glaeser

Default Mozilla Firefox installed without package-management

Everyone who wants or needs improved HTML5-support can download Mozilla Firefox
webbrowser here:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
You get improved rendering-speed, the optional 'do not track' feature and more for
free.
Installation instructions are here:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux
It is just a matter of unpacking the downloaded -.tar.bz2 archive in the home-directory
and making launch-icons, which point to the executable, in the desktop-panel and/or
directly on the desktop. Finally set Firefox as the system-default browser under
System/Preferences/Preferred Applications/Internet.
It all works completely painlessly on 64 bit architecture, should do on 32 bit, too.
The settings from your iceweasel-browser are transferred to firefox and re-used. So in my
humble opinion there is really no need at all to backport the unbranded iceweasel from
Wheezy.
If it is equally easy to setup thunderbird, then I will use that instead of the
backported icedove, too and report this as a fix against my bug #640306.
When you downloaded and installed Firefox, then please do read the Mozilla privacy policy:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy-policy
then agree to it and sign up for their monthly newsletter.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Mika Suomalainen

14.04.2012 07:49, Andreas Glaeser kirjoitti:
> Everyone who wants or needs improved HTML5-support can download Mozilla Firefox
> webbrowser here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
> You get improved rendering-speed, the optional 'do not track' feature and more for
> free.
> Installation instructions are here:
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux
> It is just a matter of unpacking the downloaded -.tar.bz2 archive in the home-directory
> and making launch-icons, which point to the executable, in the desktop-panel and/or
> directly on the desktop. Finally set Firefox as the system-default browser under
> System/Preferences/Preferred Applications/Internet.
> It all works completely painlessly on 64 bit architecture, should do on 32 bit, too.
> The settings from your iceweasel-browser are transferred to firefox and re-used. So in my
> humble opinion there is really no need at all to backport the unbranded iceweasel from
> Wheezy.
> If it is equally easy to setup thunderbird, then I will use that instead of the
> backported icedove, too and report this as a fix against my bug #640306.
> When you downloaded and installed Firefox, then please do read the Mozilla privacy policy:
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy-policy
> then agree to it and sign up for their monthly newsletter.

I think that all those features can be found from Iceweasel too.
At least "do not track feature" is in Iceweasel Aurora.

See http://mozilla.debian.net/

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 06:49:07 +0200, Andreas Glaeser wrote:

> Everyone who wants or needs improved HTML5-support can download Mozilla
> Firefox webbrowser here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html You get improved
> rendering-speed, the optional 'do not track' feature and more for free.

There's also Mozilla repo in Debian with updated versions of the Mozilla
programs:

http://mozilla.debian.net/

> Installation instructions are here:
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux It
> is just a matter of unpacking the downloaded -.tar.bz2 archive in the
> home-directory and making launch-icons, which point to the executable,
> in the desktop-panel and/or directly on the desktop.

I remember I had to do some "directory linking" to get the plugins I
already had installed in the system working, but I'm on Lenny and I
performed a system-wide installation.

> Finally set Firefox as the system-default browser under System
>/Preferences/Preferred Applications/Internet. It all works completely
> painlessly on 64 bit architecture, should do on 32 bit, too. The
> settings from your iceweasel-browser are transferred to firefox and re
>-used. So in my humble opinion there is really no need at all to
> backport the unbranded iceweasel from Wheezy.

Well, there's people who thinks the opposite and despite I also use the
Mozilla packages, I prefer having both options, whether possible. In the
end, more options means more freedom for the users. And here have to
thanks both, Mozilla guys and Debian's Mozilla repo maintainers for
provinding an easy way to install the Mozilla programs.

> If it is equally easy to setup thunderbird, then I will use that instead
> of the backported icedove, too and report this as a fix against my bug
> #640306. When you downloaded and installed Firefox, then please do read
> the Mozilla privacy policy: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy-policy
> then agree to it and sign up for their monthly newsletter.

IIRC, Thunderbird and Lightning were also plain easy to install.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón