Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
German Eduardo Jaber De Lima

Default PAE support in Debian6

What was the first stable Debian release that enabled PAE support (bigmem kernel option)? Is it enabled by default in Debian6?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 13 apr 12, 18:34:03, German Eduardo Jaber De Lima wrote:
> What was the first stable Debian release that enabled PAE support (bigmem
> kernel option)? Is it enabled by default in Debian6?

Squeeze (6.0) has a -bigmem kernel flavour, so it is available, but not
default.

I don't know which was the first stable release with PAE support, but I
seem to recall even sarge (3.1) had it.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:34:03 -0430, German Eduardo Jaber De Lima wrote:

> What was the first stable Debian release that enabled PAE support
> (bigmem kernel option)?

The first?

If we take we time-machine and according to the snapshot archive¹, there
was a "-bigmem" kernel since 2.6.17 (dated on August 13th, 2006) which
means... Sarge, then? :-?

> Is it enabled by default in Debian6?

It will be from Wheezy, AFAIK.

In earlier versions... Mmm, I would better look at the image ISO content
to see what's included in each of them, for instance:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/list-cd/
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/list-dvd/

Which seems to indicate the first CD does not contain the bigmem kernel
while it is present in the first of the DVDs. If the kernel is there it
may be preseded and thus triggered to be available at install time, at
least when using the expert installer.

¹http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/linux-image-686-bigmem/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Greg Madden

On Saturday 14 April 2012 12:20:18 pm Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:34:03 -0430, German Eduardo Jaber De Lima wrote:
> > What was the first stable Debian release that enabled PAE support
> > (bigmem kernel option)?
>
> The first?
>
> If we take we time-machine and according to the snapshot archive¹, there
> was a "-bigmem" kernel since 2.6.17 (dated on August 13th, 2006) which
> means... Sarge, then? :-?
>
> > Is it enabled by default in Debian6?
>
> It will be from Wheezy, AFAIK.
>
> In earlier versions... Mmm, I would better look at the image ISO content
> to see what's included in each of them, for instance:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/list-cd/
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/i386/list-dvd/
>
> Which seems to indicate the first CD does not contain the bigmem kernel
> while it is present in the first of the DVDs. If the kernel is there it
> may be preseded and thus triggered to be available at install time, at
> least when using the expert installer.
>
> ¹http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/linux-image-686-bigmem/
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

One additional point, one can still install Debian without 'bigmem' support,,,,
then install the correct kernel for your hardware, you just won't see all the
memory during the install.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:03:52 -0800, Greg Madden wrote:

> One additional point, one can still install Debian without 'bigmem'
> support,,,, then install the correct kernel for your hardware, you just
> won't see all the memory during the install.

Yes, that's the default behaviour, I guess.

It would be nice though, that Squeeze installer could detect the CPU
capabilities and gives the user the possibility to install all the
available kernels for the 32-bits flavour: "-486" (non PAE, non-SMP),
"-686" (SMP, non-PAE) and "-bigmem" (SMP and PAE).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón