Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Eduardo Bearzoti

Default Trouble with Nvidia driver

Hello everybody. I'm having troubles to make X server work with Debian
Squeeze, installed from scratch on my PC. Some information on my hardware:

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2900 MHz

Video card (lspci output):
nvidia Corporation G86[GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

I have used kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64.

When I first installed Squeeze, the whole system froze when gdm3
was initialized. Then, searching the web, I found this detailed wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

aimed at installing and configuring Nvidia drivers. Following its
steps, I first tried to install the free driver "noveau", as
suggested. The problem remained. Then I followed the steps to
install the non-free Nvidia drivers, using the Debian driver packages
(non-free APT sources). These steps were:

1) install the module kernel, using the packages "module-assistant"
and "nvidia-kernel-common". The following command was run:

m-a auto-install nvidia-kernel-source

and installation was done.

2) Install the NVIDIA X driver and user-space libraries. This was
successfully done by installing the Debian package "nvidia-glx". I checked
that the package versions matched (version 195.36.31).

3) Configure X to use the nvidia driver. The following command was run:

Xorg -configure

then I modified the xorg.conf.new file, commenting out the module lines
referring to the "dri" modules, and changing the device driver to "nvidia":

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
# Load "dri"
Load "dbe"
# Load "dri2"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "G86 [GeForce 8400 GS]"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Then I saved this file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After re-booting,
I noticed that the nvidia driver was successfully loaded. In the
lsmod output there is:

Module Size Used by
nvidia 10670090 24

Besides, there are no error messages in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
(I listed the NVIDIA-related lines of this file bellow)

Now prompt terminals are available, and gdm3 login is displayed on
terminal 7. However, when attempting to login trough gdm3, the whole
system freezes again. I have read the whole README.txt of the nvidia-glx
package, and I could not find anything to deal with this trouble. The
/var/log/Xorg.0.log is also not helpful, since it is created when gdm3
is started, that is, before the trouble occurs.

I am not willing to use Nvidia's installer (downloading
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.33.run), because I prefer to use the Debian
package management tools. But does anyone think it could solve the
problem? Anyway, any help would be very very appreciated, please.
I'm not sure if the following is of any help, but I show bellow the
lines from Xorg.0.log that refer to NVIDIA. I thank you in advance.

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 195.36.31 Thu Jun 3 08:59:25 PDT 2010
(II) Loading extension GLX

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 195.36.31 Thu Jun 3 08:27:29 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 02@00:00:0

(**) Apr 13 00:46:42 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) Apr 13 00:46:42 NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) Apr 13 00:46:42 NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8400 GS (G86) at PCI:2:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 60.86.4a.00.23
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 8400 GS at PCI:2:0:0:
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): LG 710E (CRT-0)
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): LG 710E (CRT-0): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: CRT-0
(==) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0):
(==) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(==) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
(==) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0):
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1024 x 768
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (78, 78); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
(--) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): option
(==) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA: Using 768.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory access.
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Initialized GPU GART.
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Initialized OpenGL Acceleration
(==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps
(II) Apr 13 00:46:43 NVIDIA(0): Initialized X Rendering Acceleration
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled

Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Bob Proulx

Eduardo Bearzoti wrote:
> Video card (lspci output):
> nvidia Corporation G86[GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

I have a system with the same graphics chip and it is working fine for
me at 1600x1200 with the default driver. I am a little embarrassed to
say that after looking at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file I am not sure
which driver it is actually using. I do not have any special drivers
(e.g. nouveau or nvidia) installed. It has been fine and I haven't
needed to look at it. It worked out of the box by default.

> when attempting to login trough gdm3, the whole system freezes again.

Since you are reporting system freezes I am concerned that this may be
a ram problem. If I were looking at this I would install memtest86+
as a bootable system. Then reboot into memtest and let it run through
several cycles to verify that you are not having a system memory
problem.

# apt-get install memtest86+
Setting up memtest86+ (4.10-1.1) ...
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found memtest86+ image: /memtest86+.bin

That will configure grub automatically for a bootable memtest
environment. Reboot and it can be selected.

If I ever find a problem with ram then I am always very thankful
because replacing ram is pretty inexpensive and a much easier thing to
do than most other repairs or chasing down driver problems.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 PM
daniel jimenez

I recently had a similar problem with a 9300 gs (which I understand to
be pretty much the same + dx9 support or smth).

Gdm3 would never start after installing a modded kernel. As a
workaround, try changing 'nvidia' for 'vesa' in the grub config file
and see where that leads. Maybe you can boot like that, there wont be
any video acceleration though.

Maybe that kernel version is incompatible with the provided nvidia blob?

Hope it helps.

Daniel

--
Daniel Jiménez

Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Eduardo Bearzoti

Hi!

I'd like to thank the kind replies of Bob and Daniel. With regard to their suggestions, they might like to know that:

- changing 'nvidia' for 'vesa' unfortunately didn't help;

- I had memtest86+ run for a long time, and no ram errors were reported.

But Bob's guess that perhaps it is not a driver-related problem may be correct. Today I finally decided to try Nvidia installer, and had the newest driver installed. And - unfortunately - the system continues to freeze. Therefore, the cause must lie somewhere else (if it is not a bug).

I'll keep trying, but my ideas are running out. I would greatly appreciate fresh suggestions from the community.

Best regards,
Eduardo

Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 03:27:06 -0400 (EDT), Eduardo Bearzoti wrote:

> I'd like to thank the kind replies of Bob and Daniel.
> With regard to their suggestions, they might like to know that:
>
> - changing 'nvidia' for 'vesa' unfortunately didn't help;
>
> - I had memtest86+ run for a long time, and no ram errors were reported.
>
> But Bob's guess that perhaps it is not a driver-related problem
> may be correct. Today I finally decided to try Nvidia installer,
> and had the newest driver installed. And - unfortunately - the system
> continues to freeze. Therefore, the cause must lie somewhere else
> (if it is not a bug).
>
> I'll keep trying, but my ideas are running out. I would greatly
> appreciate fresh suggestions from the community.

In my experience, these types of system freezes are often hardware
problems, and from what you describe (i.e. independent of which
driver is being used) that would be my guess here. If I were you
I would shutdown, power off, disconnect the power cord, open the
case, and carefully clean (without water!) everything. Then I
would carefully remove all the expansion boards, clean the contacts,
and carefully re-seat all the boards. Do the same for the memory
boards. Then, put everything back together and hope for the best.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 AM
Eduardo Bearzoti

Hi Sean,

For the past few days, I've been trying to install Squueze on my PC and have experienced very similar troubles. My card is a GeForce 8400 GS. The screen and the whole system freeze as soon as gdm3 starts. I installed the Nvidia module "the Debian Way", and also (after some reluctance) used the Nvidia installer. For my despair nothing worked. People from this community have suggested that it might be a hardware-related problem, but I am not so sure. The older Debian release lenny worked just fine with this card (I'm using it now, while I don't fix the problem), perhaps due to the non-use of 3D Acceleration. I performed RAM tests, and no errors were reported. I also removed all the expansion boards, cleaned the contacts and carefully re-seated them all.

Of course my situation is a little worse than yours, because, as you said, everything was running well until you installed the Nvidia module. I also tried Ubuntu 11.10, and again the screen freezes as X server is loaded. But, again, I'm not convinced this is a hardware problem.

With regard to your concern about dirtying the system with Nvidia installer, I think it's possible to cleanly switch back to the Debian way. The major modifications that the installer does are:

- it adds the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf, which disables the "nouveau" module, in case you have it installed. Nvidia installer says that you'll (just) have to delete it to re-install nouveau.

- it edits a xorg.config file (with your permission). But you can get a new xorg.config file after installing "the Debian way", by running:
Xorg -configure.

- it requires gcc-4.3, and the newest version available is 4.4. If you will need gcc-4.4, you can easily reverse the situation using apt or aptitude.

A friend of mine that has installed Debian in many PCs at his Department also reported troubles with Nvidia cards more than once. I'm willing to change my video card, because my ideas are running out and I would like to continue using Debian

I wish you luck.

Best regards,
Eduardo.