Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Håkon Alstadheim

Default DVD region codes ?

Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently started
requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able to play
DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box and could not
get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run DISCInfo.exe which
confirmed I had not set a region on the drive, but it was NOT region
free (says "lock detected"). So did an older machine that I am CERTAIN
has been able to play that disc before. I ran "regionset(8)" , and the
disc is now playable. I did not need this in the past. Now I guess I
will not be able to play DVDs from other regions. What gives?

For the record, this is probably upstream problem(s), since both my main
boxes, with debian and ubuntu, are affected. I should test this on my
gentoo box as well, but if anybody has any info I'm all for a shortcut.
My alternative right now is to try flashing my DVD-drive to get a
region-free drive. This involves getting the drive into a Windows-box to
get the flash utility to run. Already tried Wine and Freedos.

Disgusted greetings, Håkon.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Bob Proulx

Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently
> started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able
> to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box
> and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run

You probably already know this but you didn't say and therefore I must
ask about it. Please ensure and verify that you have "libdvdcss2"
installed. Not having it may cause confusion.

Bob

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Charlie

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:32:51 -0600 "Bob Proulx bob@proulx.com"
suggested this:

>Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>> Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently
>> started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able
>> to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box
>> and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run
>
>You probably already know this but you didn't say and therefore I must
>ask about it. Please ensure and verify that you have "libdvdcss2"
>installed. Not having it may cause confusion.
>
>Bob

I think that may now be "libdvdcss4", but I could be wrong?

Charlie

--
** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
---Charlie Brown

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Bob Proulx

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
> > Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently
> > started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able
> > to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box
> > and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run

To add some content to this... I personally have never needed to set
the region on a DVD drive. But I haven't bought any new DVD drives in
a while. Certainly my old ones are still playing DVDs routinely. If
this is true in your case I doubt it is the system but probably the
DVD drive itself that is enforcing a region code.

If you have two drives then you might consider booting a KNOPPIX live
boot disk on one of the drives and playing a DVD on the other. That
would provde a hardware check with a different operating system.

Bob

Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Håkon Alstadheim

Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently
started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able
to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box
and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run

To add some content to this... I personally have never needed to set
the region on a DVD drive. But I haven't bought any new DVD drives in
a while. Certainly my old ones are still playing DVDs routinely. If
this is true in your case I doubt it is the system but probably the
DVD drive itself that is enforcing a region code.

If you have two drives then you might consider booting a KNOPPIX live
boot disk on one of the drives and playing a DVD on the other. That
would provde a hardware check with a different operating system.

Given that setting the region on the hardware makes it able to play
protected DVDs, I consider the hardware OK.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Håkon Alstadheim

Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently
started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able
to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box
and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run

You probably already know this but you didn't say and therefore I must
ask about it. Please ensure and verify that you have "libdvdcss2"
installed. Not having it may cause confusion.

Bob

I think that may now be "libdvdcss4", but I could be wrong?

Yes, and I /suspect/ my troubles have something to do with new versions
of the dvd libraries.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Mika Suomalainen

13.04.2012 01:29, Håkon Alstadheim kirjoitti:
> Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently started
> requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able to play
> DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box and could not
> get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run DISCInfo.exe which
> confirmed I had not set a region on the drive, but it was NOT region
> free (says "lock detected"). So did an older machine that I am CERTAIN
> has been able to play that disc before. I ran "regionset(8)" , and the
> disc is now playable. I did not need this in the past. Now I guess I
> will not be able to play DVDs from other regions. What gives?
>
> For the record, this is probably upstream problem(s), since both my main
> boxes, with debian and ubuntu, are affected. I should test this on my
> gentoo box as well, but if anybody has any info I'm all for a shortcut.
> My alternative right now is to try flashing my DVD-drive to get a
> region-free drive. This involves getting the drive into a Windows-box to
> get the flash utility to run. Already tried Wine and Freedos.
>
> Disgusted greetings, Håkon.

Do you have libdvdcss2 installed? I think that it should hep with region
locks.
You can get it from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ .

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Mika Suomalainen

13.04.2012 04:11, Charlie kirjoitti:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:32:51 -0600 "Bob Proulx bob@proulx.com"
> suggested this:
>
>> Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>>> Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently
>>> started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able
>>> to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box
>>> and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run
>>
>> You probably already know this but you didn't say and therefore I must
>> ask about it. Please ensure and verify that you have "libdvdcss2"
>> installed. Not having it may cause confusion.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I think that may now be "libdvdcss4", but I could be wrong?
>
> Charlie

I just checked and it's libdvdcss2 in Sid.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Håkon Alstadheim

[...]

Yes, thanks, absolutely right. I think I've managed to confuse myself a
bit, starting to wonder now which box(es) had the error. Now I've set
the region code on all my drives, so testing without is no longer an
option. On my debian squeeze box I've got libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4
from debian multimedia. I'm suspecting now that the one that tripped me
up was an Ubuntu box. Also with libdvdcss2 and libdvdread4, but the
/etc/apt/sources.list seems to be a bit messed up there, as "apt-cache
policy" shows no installation source for libdvdcss2. Possibly I have
some slight binary incompatibility between my libraries.

Will fix my /etc/apt/sources* , but given that I now have the region set
on the drive, I guess I'll never know whether I've actually found the
culprit.

Thanks All.