FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Johann Spies
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:11:03AM +0200, John Magolske wrote:

> W [11/Apr/2012:23:36:00 -0700] Avahi client failed: -26
>
> Any thoughts as to why printing is not working here?

I don't know much about avahi, but if you read the package description
of something like 'Avahi Daemon' you will see that if something is wrong
with the avahi-process that would probably explain your problem. Read
about avahi and check whether the related processes are running.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to
the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the
joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts
and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige lês aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120412075313.GB17120@sun.ac.za">http://lists.debian.org/20120412075313.GB17120@sun.ac.za
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Brian
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

On Thu 12 Apr 2012 at 00:11:03 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I'm having difficulty printing on a Brother HL-1450 laser printer
> that has in the past worked fine with my Debian Sid system. When
> attempting to print a PDF, sometimes it will print the page fine,
> but other times (actually most of the time now), it will print a
> page with only this on it (often followed by a blank page):
>
> JL SET MEDIATYPE=REGULAR
> @PJL SET SOURCETRAY=AUTO
> @PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
> @PJL SET

The are a number of PPD files to use with the HL-1450. Are you using the
one from Brother? There is also a Gutenprint driver. Changing to that
could reinstate printing. It doesn't solve the actual problem but may
save you troubleshooting time and get you going.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120412092117.GR16316@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120412092117.GR16316@desktop
 
Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 AM
John Magolske
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

* Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> [120412 07:22]:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:11:03AM +0200, John Magolske wrote:
>
> > W [11/Apr/2012:23:36:00 -0700] Avahi client failed: -26
> >
> > Any thoughts as to why printing is not working here?
>
> I don't know much about avahi, but if you read the package description
> of something like 'Avahi Daemon' you will see that if something is wrong
> with the avahi-process that would probably explain your problem. Read
> about avahi and check whether the related processes are running.

Thanks for the reply.

Reading the following leads me to believe avahi-daemon needs to be
running for cups to work:

...didn't realize that I had to start dbus and avahi-daemon manually.
I added both to my /etc/rc.d and ran them manually with:
rc.d start dbus
rc.d start avahi-daemon
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137236

When booting up I see this message:

Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon failed!

and when I try to start avahi manually as root:

# avahi-daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 108) and group 'avahi' (GID 110).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.
avahi-daemon 0.6.31 exiting.

I have tried several PPD files including the one from Brother. Haven't
tried the Gutenprint driver, may try that next. But I'm thinking
getting the avahi-daemon running may be the issue. Perhaps I need to
get dbus running first? Any suggestions as to what I might need to
fix / configure?

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120413050133.GA2945@s70206.gridserver.com">http://lists.debian.org/20120413050133.GA2945@s70206.gridserver.com
 
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM
John Magolske
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [120412 22:03]:
> Reading the following leads me to believe avahi-daemon needs to be
> running for cups to work:
>
> ...didn't realize that I had to start dbus and avahi-daemon manually.
> I added both to my /etc/rc.d and ran them manually with:
> rc.d start dbus
> rc.d start avahi-daemon
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=137236
>
> When booting up I see this message:
>
> Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon failed!
>
> and when I try to start avahi manually as root:
>
> # avahi-daemon
> Found user 'avahi' (UID 108) and group 'avahi' (GID 110).
> Successfully dropped root privileges.
> avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
> dbus_bus_get_private(): Failed to connect to socket
> /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
> WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.
> avahi-daemon 0.6.31 exiting.

I got the dbus & avahi daemons to run by first doing as root:

# mkdir /var/run/dbus

Why this needs to be done manually is another issue I'll look into
later, but for now I think I figured out the printing issue. This is
a legal size PDF, and so I added the -o media=legal to the command
like so:

lp -d Brother_HL-1450_series -n 1 -P 2 -o media=legal some-file.pdf

And now it seems to be printing fine. Will check again later this
weekend when I have more paper & time, but it seems to be printing ok
for now.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120413081900.GA21179@s70206.gridserver.com">http ://lists.debian.org/20120413081900.GA21179@s70206.gridserver.com
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Brian
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

On Thu 12 Apr 2012 at 22:01:33 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I have tried several PPD files including the one from Brother. Haven't
> tried the Gutenprint driver, may try that next. But I'm thinking
> getting the avahi-daemon running may be the issue. Perhaps I need to
> get dbus running first? Any suggestions as to what I might need to
> fix / configure?

CUPS does not depend on the avahi daemon. I think you have entered a
blind alley.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120413100611.GT16316@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20120413100611.GT16316@desktop
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Roger Leigh
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 01:19:00AM -0700, John Magolske wrote:
> I got the dbus & avahi daemons to run by first doing as root:
>
> # mkdir /var/run/dbus

If you're running a current up-to-date unstable or testing
system, try rebooting your system. Immediately after you
login after it starts up, check if the directory exists
as /run/dbus or /var/run/dbus (they should be one and the
same). If it does not, please file a bug against the dbus
package--it (or its init script) should create this when it
starts up.


Thanks,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh
: :' : Debian GNU/Linux http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/
`. `' schroot and sbuild http://alioth.debian.org/projects/buildd-tools
`- GPG Public Key F33D 281D 470A B443 6756 147C 07B3 C8BC 4083 E800


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120413102730.GB882@codelibre.net">http://lists.debian.org/20120413102730.GB882@codelibre.net
 
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
John Magolske
 
Default Laser Printer printing intermittantly, CUPS bug?

* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [120413 15:06]:
> [...] I think I figured out the printing issue. This is a legal size
> PDF, and so I added the -o media=legal to the command like so:
>
> lp -d Brother_HL-1450_series -n 1 -P 2 -o media=legal some-file.pdf
>
> And now it seems to be printing fine. Will check again later this
> weekend when I have more paper & time, but it seems to be printing ok
> for now.

Spoke too soon, that actually did *not* solve the problem. What did
fix things was to install foomatic-db and foomatic-db-engine, then
pick the "Brother HL-1450 Foomatic/ljet4" from the CUPS web admin
interface. I arrived at this by a process of trial and error, trying
each of the six options prefaced by "Brother HL-1450". The only one
that works is "Brother HL-1450 Foomatic/ljet4". All others either
intermittently print pages with

JL SET MEDIATYPE=REGULAR
@PJL SET SOURCETRAY=AUTO
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL SET

at the top, or print blank pages, or pages with a bunch of garbage on
them. The "official" PPD file for the HL-1450 printer on Brother's
website is a "BRHL14_1_GPL.ppd", but that didn't print anything at
all. Tried the gutenprint drivers, which caused things to be printed
out at a huge scale, jagged/rasterized.

But ljet4 is now working fine -- just printed 80+ pages reliably. One
thing I did notice is that under "Set Default Options" in the CUPS
admin interface ljet4 offers 600x600 DPI as the maximum resolution,
whereas the Brother-HL-1450-hl1250.ppd I'd used in the past offered
a 1200x600 resolution choice (the max resolution of this printer
according to its specs). However, a close observation of text on the
printed page using a 15X loupe shows no discernible degradation in
quality relative to previous pages that were printed with the hl1250
set at 1200x600. If anything the quality looks a bit better.

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120416181048.GA14577@s70206.gridserver.com">http ://lists.debian.org/20120416181048.GA14577@s70206.gridserver.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org