Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 AM
"J.Hwan Kim"

Default how to burn iso image over 4.7GB

Hi, everyone

I'm trying burn ISO image of which size is exactly 4.7GB.
When I tried to burn the image with K3b, it could not burn
because the ISO is too big for my 4.7G DVD.

Is there any method to burn it to my 4.7G DVD?

Should I buy Double side DVD?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
J.Hwan Kim

Old 04-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Victor Padro

2012/4/11 J.Hwan Kim <frog1120@gmail.com>:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I'm trying burn ISO image of which size is exactly 4.7GB.
> When I tried to burn the image with K3b, it could not burn
> because the ISO is too big for my 4.7G DVD.
>
> Is there any method to burn it to my 4.7G DVD?
>
> Should I buy Double side DVD?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> J.Hwan Kim

I suppose you DVD Media is DVD+R, try using DVD-R and you will not
have any issues any more, the same just happened to me when I tried to
burn some Debian and CentOS i386 ISOs.

Best regards,

--
"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"

Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 AM
"J.Hwan Kim"

2012년 04월 12일 13:30, Victor Padro 쓴 글:

I'm trying burn ISO image of which size is exactly 4.7GB.
When I tried to burn the image with K3b, it could not burn
because the ISO is too big for my 4.7G DVD.

Is there any method to burn it to my 4.7G DVD?

Should I buy Double side DVD?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
J.Hwan Kim

I suppose you DVD Media is DVD+R, try using DVD-R and you will not
have any issues any more, the same just happened to me when I tried to
burn some Debian and CentOS i386 ISOs.

Best regards,

Thank you for reply.
My DVD media is DVD-R.

Archive: 4F865F32.5040406@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F865F32.5040406@gmail.com

Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Victor Padro

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM, J.Hwan Kim <frog1120@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012년 04월 12일 13:30, Victor Padro 쓴 글:
>
>> 2012/4/11 J.Hwan Kim<frog1120@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi, everyone
>>>
>>> I'm trying burn ISO image of which size is exactly 4.7GB.
>>> When I tried to burn the image with K3b, it could not burn
>>> because the ISO is too big for my 4.7G DVD.
>>>
>>> Is there any method to burn it to my 4.7G DVD?
>>>
>>> Should I buy Double side DVD?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> J.Hwan Kim
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>> I suppose you DVD Media is DVD+R, try using DVD-R and you will not
>> have any issues any more, the same just happened to me when I tried to
>> burn some Debian and CentOS i386 ISOs.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
> Thank you for reply.
> My DVD media is DVD-R.

Then try to use overburn:

Settings -> Configure K3B -> Advanced tab -> check Allow Overburning.

Best regards,

Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Jo, 12 apr 12, 13:12:24, J.Hwan Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I'm trying burn ISO image of which size is exactly 4.7GB.
> When I tried to burn the image with K3b, it could not burn
> because the ISO is too big for my 4.7G DVD.
>
> Is there any method to burn it to my 4.7G DVD?

I remember when having similar issues with CDs I had to check the 'close
CD'.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:12:42AM -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
> Then try to use overburn:

Overburn might work, and might save you spending money on a DL disc.

On the other hand you might end up with a disc that can only be read
in some players and not others.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Go Linux

I've done that MANY times with DVDShrink - http://www.dvdshrink.org/. You'll need to run it in Wine though . . .

Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 06:57:22AM -0700, Go Linux wrote:
> I've done that MANY times with DVDShrink - http://www.dvdshrink.org/. You'll
> need to run it in Wine though . . .

That assumes that the source ISO is a DVD Video (it might not be), and it
should be mentioned that dvd shrink throws information away (lossy
transformation) to make the movie fit on a single-sided disc. OTOH you can
rarely tell that information has been thrown away, sometimes it might matter,
sometimes it might not.

(DVD Shrink is one of a series of Windows programs that impress me with their
"do one thing well" approach, and I've never found a Linux app to match it.
Similarly, whereas grip has now left the Debian archive and sound-juicer
continues to break in interesting ways, most recently with multi-disc rips,
"cdex" on Windows *still* just works.)

Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Go Linux

> That assumes that the source ISO is a DVD Video (it might
> not be), and it
> should be mentioned that dvd shrink throws information away
> (lossy
> transformation) to make the movie fit on a single-sided
> disc.* OTOH you can
> rarely tell that information has been thrown away, sometimes
> it might matter,
> sometimes it might not.
>
> (DVD Shrink is one of a series of Windows programs that
> impress me with their
> "do one thing well" approach, and I've never found a Linux
> app to match it.
> Similarly, whereas grip has now left the Debian archive and
> sound-juicer
> continues to break in interesting ways, most recently with
> multi-disc rips,
> "cdex" on Windows *still* just works.)

I have always shrunk ISOs mastered with DVDStyler never an actual DVD. They have always been just at the 4.7GB limit. I've not noticed a difference is quality but then I'm watching them on an old 20" CRT.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Indulekha

Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:12:42AM -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
>> Then try to use overburn:
>
> Overburn might work, and might save you spending money on a DL disc.
>
> On the other hand you might end up with a disc that can only be read
> in some players and not others.

Every single GUI for writing optical discs has given me trouble
at some point, but the cdrecord command rarely lets me down.
Check man cdrecord. It's less tedious than k3b, gnomeburn, xfburn,
etc in the long run.

--
Indulekha