Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default Which owner and groups /etc/resolv.conf in testing?

Hello list,

although I am happy with my /etc/resolv.conf, I changed it during the years on
my laptop. At the moment it is root:root and rw-r--r--, which is ok at home
but this does not fit, when I am on the road.

When I am on the way, resolv.conf should be able to be overwritten by the
dhcp-server. What are the default settings of /etc/resolv.conf? Or should I
generally use the package "resolvconf", which is IMO setting a symlink
somehow.

Hints are welcome. Ah, and of course there are other options, like network-
manager, of course. But network-manager did not work on my system and so I am
using a selfwritten /etc/network/interfaces.

Greetings

Hans

Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Bob Proulx

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> although I am happy with my /etc/resolv.conf, I changed it during
> the years on my laptop. At the moment it is root:root and rw-r--r--,
> which is ok at home but this does not fit, when I am on the road.

Those user:group ownership and permissions are fine. No problem
there. What doesn't work for you?

> When I am on the way, resolv.conf should be able to be overwritten
> by the dhcp-server.

With the above permissions it should be able to do so.

> What are the default settings of /etc/resolv.conf?

On a freshly installed pristine system that uses dhcp:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90 Apr 11 14:55 /etc/resolv.conf

> Or should I generally use the package "resolvconf", which is IMO
> setting a symlink somehow.

I use, like, and recommend the resolvconf package.

Bob