Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Camaleón

Default ulimit not working for changing daemon limits

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:04:19 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

> I am trying to increase the number of open files the sendmail daemon may
> have. I have read that inserting a ulimit command in the init script is
> the way to do this.

(...)

I can be wrong but I had understood ulimits (per user/daemon) are set
from "/etc/security/limits.conf" :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Matt Zagrabelny

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:04:19 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
>
>> I am trying to increase the number of open files the sendmail daemon may
>> have. I have read that inserting a ulimit command in the init script is
>> the way to do this.
>
> (...)
>
> I can be wrong but I had understood ulimits (per user/daemon) are set
> from "/etc/security/limits.conf" :-?

>From [1]

/etc/security/limits.{d,conf} are only processed by pam_limits.
Processes started from init generally do not utilize pam_limits.so.

FWIW, I tried tweaking /etc/security/limits.{d,conf} and it did not
increase the max number of open files for the sendmail process.

Any other advice?

-mz

[1] http://old.nabble.com/How-to-set-ulimit-%28nofile%29-for-a-daemon-td28610214.html

Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:56:04 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:04:19 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to increase the number of open files the sendmail daemon
>>> may have. I have read that inserting a ulimit command in the init
>>> script is the way to do this.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> I can be wrong but I had understood ulimits (per user/daemon) are set
>> from "/etc/security/limits.conf" :-?
>
>>From [1]
>
> /etc/security/limits.{d,conf} are only processed by pam_limits.
> Processes started from init generally do not utilize pam_limits.so.

My reference document was:

4.10.2 Limiting resource usage: the limits.conf file
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4.en.html

But now you've made me doubt :-)

> FWIW, I tried tweaking /etc/security/limits.{d,conf} and it did not
> increase the max number of open files for the sendmail process.

What did you exactly try?

> Any other advice?

Nope, sorry. I would have expected the existence of the user "sendmail"
would have been enough to edit the "limits.conf" file accordingly :-?